Tarp
    DIY 7.5X10
    Insulation
    Mac IX UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Images

Thread injector trouble

Has anyone had trouble with the bottom thread when sewing 70D coated nylon with polyester thread. I'm getting small loops on the bottom and can seem to fix it. I've tried to adjusting the tension but that doesn't work. And my wife is pissed because she thinks I broke her sewing machine

I didn't have a problem when I sewed my sons hammock using ripstop nylon and regular heavy duty thread.
    "If your not outraged, then your not paying attention"
    bumper sticker

"You have to grow old, But you don't have to grow up"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I'm just an amateur but, it sounds to me like the thread tension isn't right. You can adjust both the top and bottom thread tension, but do it a very little at a time. Then check it on some test fabric.

Hopefully, someone with much more experience than I will chime in.
    Good luck!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Please do not adjust the bobbin tension unless you know _exactly_ what you want to do and why. The bobbin tension is not made to be adjusted. The top tension should be able to run the range required. This is especially true when using you wife's machine. Start by unthreading the machine completely. Clean it well. Change the needle and rethread. Then play with the spool tension. Loops on the bottom of the fabric almost always involve the spool tension.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Don't touch the thread tension for the bottom (bobbin). It is not the problem. It can also be very difficult to readjust the bobbin tension properly once you start messing with it.

If you are seeing loops on the bottom of the fabric, there is a problem with your top tension. Take a very close look at how the top thread is threaded. If you missed one hook or flinky in the threading process, all the tension adjustment in the world won't fix it.

The most important thing is to maintain domestic harmony, so once you have checked this, switch back to cotton thread and sew on an old t-shirt or something. If you are still having problems, use a new needle. If everything is okay, try your nylon again.

Also, if the machine has not been regularly cleaned and lubed, NOW is the time to do it. Instructions are in the manual. I hope this helps.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Please look at the logic behind the tensioning devices. The spool tension is adjusted by finger pressure either using a turn knob or a slide bar. The bobbin tension requires a tool to adjust. Which one is the tension adjustment the manufacturer wants you to use?

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    If you are seeing loops on the bottom of the fabric, there is a problem with your top tension. Take a very close look at how the top thread is threaded. If you missed one hook or flinky in the threading process, all the tension adjustment in the world won't fix it.
    Frankly I don't even bother with that anymore. In many more modern machines the flinkies are in side the case and can not really be inspected. Just unthread the whole machine back to the spool. Take the bobbin out and make sure it runs free. I've had problems with cross layers gumming the works.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

Thread tension...

Of course what these guys are saying is absolutely true. I will add one thing though. I sometimes uses different size thread.....anywhere from thicker upholstery type stuff down to embroidery thread. I actually have to adjust my bobbin tension just a little when switching threads of different thicknesses. I am not saying this is your problem, I am just saying that there are times some bottom adjustments might be needed. Of couse, IF (and I mean IF) you do mess with anything down there, make SMALL adjustments and try to mark where it was before you started messing with it so you can put it back (or she WILL be mad).

I bet when you figure out what your problem was you will be surprised how simple it was. You might have the machine threaded wrong. Maybe the thread is not between the tension plates (the top tensioner).

Can you make the machine work again with the thread and materials your wife was using before you "broke" it?
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    Treehugger (Eno clone), and HHULB
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    webbing
    Completely agree with Stormcrow.

Crazy Hammock Lady

Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stormcrow View Post
    Of course what these guys are saying is absolutely true. I will add one thing though. I sometimes uses different size thread.....anywhere from thicker upholstery type stuff down to embroidery thread. I actually have to adjust my bobbin tension just a little when switching threads of different thicknesses. I am not saying this is your problem, I am just saying that there are times some bottom adjustments might be needed. Of couse, IF (and I mean IF) you do mess with anything down there, make SMALL adjustments and try to mark where it was before you started messing with it so you can put it back (or she WILL be mad).
    This is a case where an experienced user knows _exactly_ what they want and why. I have no problem with that. My concern is when we start telling beginning stitchers to play around with the bobbin tension just because it is there. I have seen too much go too wrong. If a beginning stitcher is sticking with readily available supplies and normal (for our purposes) threads and fabrics there is no reason they would have to change the bobbin settings. Unless of course someone has already bolluxed them up.

Unless you have your own dedicated machine (which you can mess up all you want without affecting anyone else) and the patience of Job.... leave the bobbin alone.

Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Well none of these guys are right. You broke your wife's machine and that is that. Prepare to live with that fact for the rest of your life. You are wrong.

Wife translation provided by Hawk-eye of 32 years of being wrong!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast