polyester stretch-out over night?

Hey guys, I made a single layer out of some polyester liner material that I found 60" wide at jo-anns.. It weighs ~1.7oz/sy, feels like soft linen.

I made it for indoor hang, been sleeping in it the past few nights. It's not extremely low stretch like I've read for some of the microfiber poly hammocks peeps have made, but it's comfy as hell... well, atleast it is for the first half of the night.

Seems like it stretches out over the course of the night, and get's to where I can't lay as far diagonally without it getting tight and uncomfy... It's like it slowly stretches to the point it gets stretched out, and is tight from there on.

After I take it down for the day, put it back up the next night, it's back to being comfy until the middle of the night, and annoying again.

Is this real? Or a figment of my imagination?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Are you sure it is your fabric that is stretching? What are you using for a suspension?

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I'm having a hard time getting an image of what is happening. A picture of the fabric might be helpful. When you say "liner" material just what does that mean? If you live close enough to Joannes to pop in and get the specs and description off the end of the bolt that might help as well. One thing that comes to mind is that the weave of the fabric is loose and it is being pulled out of alignment as you lie in it. Is it a very loose weave? In other words if you hold it up to the light can you see the spaces between the threads?
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

re:

Suspension is polyester ratchet strap webbing I re-appropriated, with lark's head end.

I've used the same webbing with my nylon hammocks and don't experience this effect. Also, I've used cheaper webbing that I've seen warp.

Now, the question of fabric weave seems valid, this stuff is *VERY* breathable. It's about the density of a medium thread count cotton sheet.

The fabric was labeled "Posh Linings" at JoAnns, but the stuff they have on their website is all labeled as 45" wide, so this may have been on the wrong board at the store.

It's pretty strong even with the lack of thread density, but the weave thing seems to make sense, as it starts out the evening feeling very stretchy.

• + New Posts