AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

Trail Power

So Last year early (before AHE) I came across a neat little gizmo that was supposed to be out in the future that I thought I was very interested in. The PEG Personal Energy Generator.

The simple details are that you hang the thing off you or your pack --even put it inside vertically and your movement makes little parts inside (I said simple right) move around and that movement is turned into power. Plug in your Ipod, cell phone or any thing else that has a rechargeable battery and your motion charges the device. They say that it will charge a dead Ipod or similar equipment to about 80% in about 1 hour of walking.

Basic Specs:

Size: 9' tall, Top & Bottom Cylinders: 1'" diameter, Center Cylinder: 1.5" diameter
    Weight: 9 oz.
    Color: Green

So just an hour ago I got an email that it is about to be released for sale and emailed them about dealer options and hope to hear back soon. But in the mean time if I can get them would any one be interested? They are supposed to retail at about $150.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End w DIY Bug Net
    Tarp
    DIY Black Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    My Ipod stays at home when I camp.

I wonder if you hung it from a handle in your car? I might be interested in that.

I'd like to pass on this tip : Don't forget that cell phones without wireless plans can still call 911 - they just need a charge. Charge it up, pop out the battery so it does not drain and stick it back in if you get in a jam.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by leroybrown View Post

I wonder if you hung it from a handle in your car? I might be interested in that.
    They say that most car rides don't generate enough motion to get much of a charge. On a very bumpy road you may get some but in the car there are cheap DC power adapters for most stuff.

And of coarse there are things like Iphones that you can't pull the battery from. But you can also think about small a recharger for batteries for your camera, GPS, or any number of other things than just phones and Ipods.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Yes, interested but will be gone for almost a month...maybe when I get back they'll be in your hands.
    I see it costs 9 ounces....that must be made up somewhere else in my pack...have to study that one...reminds me of the story of the woman who cut her hair and sold it to buy the hubby a watch chain, he sold his watch to buy her hair combs! If I get this power source mentioned I guess I could carry it and leave the Droid at home HA!
    Move the magnet through the coil and strore the energy in a capacitor right? then route the juice through a voltage regulator before it hits the usb connector---be nice if this was incorporated inside a hiking pole, then while you sleep connect the pole to your appliance

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Cat cut
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I might be interested after hearing some real reports on its use and effectiveness. And its compatibility with the devices I would use on the trail - iPod, gps, cellphone.

That's an interesting gizmo.
    I do carry my zune with me. I have to say, turning pages of a book with a gloved hand can be difficult. The light from a led is kind of harsh for reading. I have found that it's kind of nice to watch a movie when i retire for the night. Plus it's easier to hold with a gloved hand. I work swing shift so going to bed early even when camping just does not happen. So some sort of entertainment is mandatory.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I'll wait for the one that weighs 2 oz or less! Too much of a gram weinie. My mp3 player lasts long enough if it has a full charge for the weekend. And that's what most of my hikes are.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I have spent too much on solar chargers that don't live up to my expectations. I'm going to have to wait until I hear some glowing reviews before I'm going to part with $150.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Seems like a cool device. I usually pack a small "zap charger" type device that uses to 2x AA batteries to push a charge into my iPod.
    Yes, I sometimes like to enjoy a movie in the hammock
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Ogee
    Insulation
    Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    whoopie
    I saw this device last year as well and I'm interested, but like Dutch, I want to see some good reviews on it before I spend my money.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast