Hammock
    Homemade DIY Hennessy
    Tarp
    Homemade Speer

Sleeping Mat Problems on Double layer

I finally finished my DIY hennessy and was able to take it for a test drive this last weekend on a scout overnight. But, I had one major problem, keeping the mat in the right place. The biggest problem was keeping my two layers together, but I can fix that by sewing them together.

Here is a description of what I did. Basically I followed the DIY hennessy instructions but I used 1.1 oz instead of 1.9. I wanted a double layer to put my mat in between layers. Because I wanted to be able to put stuff between layers, the two layers are only connected on the ends, not on the sides. When I put the mat (old US army issued CCF) in between the layers, one layer went one way, the other went the other way. Well, I figure that problem should be easy enough to fix, just sew one side together and leave a large enough gap on the other side to slip a bad in. So, now to the next issue. How do I keep the pad in the right place when I lay diagonal? The mat doesn't want to stay on the diagonal, and it is a pain in the but to keep moving it back. Any suggestions? Do I make any sense? thanks in advance.

One other thing. I put a ridge line in, but when I layed in the hammock, the ridge line just sagged. Is it too short?, or is the hammock not strung tight enough? I guess I need to take some pictures for this one.
    I have taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    On my blackbird the double layer is sew all along one side and has a section sewn ( 4") along the middle on the the other side. When i used a pad it didn't move. Someone else will have to answer the RL question. Good luck
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY Pertex
    Tarp
    DIY with doors on
    Insulation
    Down and synthetic
    Suspension
    Whoopies & hooks
    On the dd's, one side is sewn, one has 4 velcro pads.

My pads have never slipped.

Images
    Not at all sure why the pad is acting that way in your double layer. My pads have never really moved in a dbl layer once I lay down on them. And my Claytor is wide open on the sides, just sewn full width on the ends. And the dbl layer on my JRB Bridge is 26" wide, but I often have put 20" wide pads in it. I don't recall any problems with the pad moving once I am on it. With all of them, some attention is required when I first put weight on them to make sure they don't move, but after that they are good.

On the RL question, it just sounds like you need to tighten up the hammock suspension some more. Are your trees far enough apart? Usually, on my HH Explorer, if I just pull the hammock reasonably tight into the tree huggers, the RL will not sag. If the RL is super tight after I get in, I usually loosen the hammock up a bit, I don't like it too tight.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Is the bottom layer the same size as the top, or just a fuzz bigger allowing the bottom to sag??
    You can smear a few globs of 100% silicone (window caulk) on your pad, It'll get sticky and help it stay. Smear it on, a thin layer, randomly placed spots, little ribbons, it up to you, and let it dry for a day or two. The silicone will help hold the pad. Gives the pad small sticky sections. If its to sticky, dust with powder lightly.
    With my double, once I'm in its good. But its the entry part that's fussy. I align my pad at the diagonal I want, hold pad in place, and apply my big ol' tush. Gravity takes hold after that.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    My pad doesn't move once I'm in the hammock, but it wants to curl up when I first put it between the layers. I put my sleeping bag and pack on it right away to keep it from curling while I finish setting up.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Homemade DIY Hennessy
    Tarp
    Homemade Speer
    The two layers are the same size.
    I have taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

• + New Posts