Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY-Speer Type
    Suspension
    Nacrabiner/Whoopie

My First DIY Hammock!

I'm very excited to let you all know that I've made my very first hammock! I don't have pics yet but I'm also just testing this forum thing out as well. I'm a scoutmaster and have wanted to make my own hammock ever since one of my assistant SM's told me he made his when he was fifteen and in scouts. I've been researching DIY hammocks for a couple of weeks and have finally come up with the material. I'll post pics when I get them. It's a hammock with W whippings on the end. Sorry no pics now but they are soon to come, thanks.
    I made it with ripstop Nylon, 1" black webbing, Carabiner, and cording.

Some info about my hammock:
    Size. 9'x5'
    'W' gathering with whippings.
    Suspension: Tree Huggers (DIY of course), Biners, Rope.
    Here are just some pics of my new toy:

Stuff Sack:
    I followed the ThruHiker pattern except for the buttonhole because it just didn't work for me. The first time I made one it was too small. The one pictured below is an 8"x5" sack with draw string enclosure at the top. I wanted to put a strap on the bottom for easy pull out, but I forgot (I guess I was just so frustrated and excited all at the same time) but I don't think it needs it. It pulls out of the sack very easily.

1273020402116.jpg
    Just me hanging in my new toy. Ahh it's great to finally fell what all of you feel about hammock camping. See the sweet whipping job. At first I was afraid of trying it but it was sure easy.
    1273020396545.jpg
    Foot shot. I love it! You can barely see on the left edge that I put in two grossgrain loops right into the hem. Looks professional if you ask me, but I'm kinda partial.
    1273020394656.jpg
    Another shot with me in it. You can see a closer look at the whipping.
    1273022634748.jpg
    Here's the top of the stuff sack; another thing I was afraid of doing, maybe because I didn't understand it. I didn't put in a buttonhole because it just didn't work, so I ended up just making a slit in the tube for the cord. I later found out I could have done the 45 degree fold then hem to reinforce the edge so it won't fray. I'll do that on my next one.
    1273022635701.jpg
    Here's a pic of the bottom. See the sweet 'H' pattern. This is a beauty!
    1273022640362.jpg
    It stands up nice.
    1273022641437.jpg
    Here you can see the size next to my water bottle.

I want to thank all ya'll who have taken the time to give such a great source to help us hammock 'virgins'. I'm glad to say I'm no longer one. I can't wait to start on my cat fly.
    Last edited by jaydweight; 05-04-2010 at 21:24.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Now ya went and done it! ... might as well go ahead and start on your second one!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Good on you...we do want pics as you know
    hahahaha

Wonderful achievement

Tom

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    Good news! You've started down the path... no turning back... resistance is futile. First it's a hammock, then a tarp, then a quilt. And on it goes.

Glad to have you on board!

Hammock
    DIY-Speer Type
    Suspension
    Nacrabiner/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Good news! You've started down the path... no turning back... resistance is futile. First it's a hammock, then a tarp, then a quilt. And on it goes.

Glad to have you on board!
    That's so true! Last night I stayed up way late (I guess for a 31 year old, married guy with three kids) and finished a sweet stuff sack! I followed Thru-Hiker's resource here. Although I had a very difficult time with my machine as I was trying to do the buttonhole. I got so frustrated that I just stopped, but I put a small slit in the cord channel and it seemed to work just fine.

I know I've promised pics and they're going to come soon (in the afternoon) so hang in there.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydweight View Post
    Although I had a very difficult time with my machine as I was trying to do the buttonhole. I got so frustrated that I just stopped, but I put a small slit in the cord channel and it seemed to work just fine.
    Buttonholes can be extraordinary frustrating particularly on an older machine without the "automatic" button hole feature. You are in good company there.

In regards to the slit in the cord channel. The only thing you need to worry about there is that it will fray out over time and use. The only difference that will make in this case is appearance. It won't affect the utility of the sack. If you want... you can solve that issue with a thin line of your wife's clear nail polish along the cut edges. That will seal the edges and keep it from raveling. Yet another challenge to the masculine psyche the first time you go out to buy your very own bottle of clear nail polish.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    .... Yet another challenge to the masculine psyche the first time you go out to buy your very own bottle of clear nail polish.
    Reminded me of the time I picked up a little something flimsy from the ladies undies department in a store in Williamsport Pa for the little lady. As I was walking up to the cashier ... a sweet little older lady asked me if I needed anything. I couldn't resist .. ya know I ain't quite right ... I said "yes where's the dressing room?"

I thought she was going to pee herself before I could tell her it was a joke.

OK back to the real topic ... I need more coffee.

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Yes, congratulation on your first hammock. There will be a second, a third...
    (I spend last night test my 3rd - I know!) I have made stuff sacks with just the slit, and so far they have held up well.

What's next on your list?

Hammock
    DIY-Speer Type
    Suspension
    Nacrabiner/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    Reminded me of the time I picked up a little something flimsy from the ladies undies department in a store in Williamsport Pa for the little lady. As I was walking up to the cashier ... a sweet little older lady asked me if I needed anything. I couldn't resist .. ya know I ain't quite right ... I said "yes where's the dressing room?"

I thought she was going to pee herself before I could tell her it was a joke.

OK back to the real topic ... I need more coffee.

Thanks for the tip on the nail polish. I'll have to ask my wife for some.

Next on my list will be a tarp I'm sure. I'm trying to get some of this stuff done to show to my scouts. I really would like to be able to give them the opportunity to make their own hammocks they can use for our summer camp.

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Ya know ... you can just do the fold at the edges of the fabric (45 degree) and stitch that before sewing up the bag ... makes a good strong, non-fraying, non-nail polish requiring draw string exit!

I made a little sketch below ....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hawk-eye; 05-04-2010 at 11:02.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast