Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods

Unhappy Ok.....it will be a Clark......

.....but which one?

I'm 6 ft tall and 188 lbs. It sounds as if the standard NA would work for me, but then again after days of reading stuff here, it sounds like I'm just at the margin for needing the 200.

I had originally planned on the NA with the bigger fly which would put me at $320 or so, but now I'm thinking the bigger hammock which comes with the XL fly for like $360 is what I may need.

I now have a HH Expedition which is a good fit for me but I'm just tired of being cold in it. I don't get the use I want to out of a hammock due to it's lighter material and that breeze that blows across my back. I've tried a lot of things and to get it to work, I have to bring so much extra that it doesn't seem worth it.

So....for anyone about my size, Could I get away with a standard sized NA?

Images
    I'm 6'3, 240 and the Clark NA was a bit too small. The claytor fit just find.

My son is 5' 11" 210 and fist perfectly in his Clark NA.

Does Clark still offer the 90 day money-back? If so get the NA and try it, if it doesn't work out return it for the 200.

But, I don't think the Clark is going to eliminate your under draft problem There is still nothing but material under you unless you use pads or quilts, although you can stuff insulating materials into the pockets for some additional insulation.

Hammock
    Clark n150
    Tarp
    el cheepo
    Insulation
    figuring it out
    Suspension
    ropes/drip rings
    Images
    You need the big clark. Dont bother with the small one. You won't fit.

I have the 150 and it is significantly shorter than other hammocks. At mount rogers I had a new UQ and Pan from the jacks went to show me how to make sure to stay warm that night. He was surprised that the UQ covered more than it does on most other types of hammocks. I fit fine but I am 5 10. If I did it again, I would get the bigger one for my size too probably.

When I let a 6.0 friend sleep in it he was uncomfortable if he slid at all and was much more comfortable in the eno I brought. I on the otherhand know it is more comfortable for me than the eno, but it fits me and didn't fit him.

so....

be comfrotable...thats the point right? get the bigger one as long as you are getting one.

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Quote Originally Posted by nogods View Post
    I'm 6'3, 240 and the Clark NA was a bit too small. The claytor fit just find.

My son is 5' 11" 210 and fist perfectly in his Clark NA.

Does Clark still offer the 90 day money-back? If so get the NA and try it, if it doesn't work out return it for the 200.

But, I don't think the Clark is going to eliminate your under draft problem There is still nothing but material under you unless you use pads or quilts, although you can stuff insulating materials into the pockets for some additional insulation.

I should have been a little more clear. With any hammock, I know you'll have an underdraft problem. With the Clark, I just see you having more options to deal with the issue for an extended temperature range. I remember the things that mataharihiker tried to make "all things hammock" right. I've spent copuntless nights out with that sweet lady. We tweaked everything that could be tweaked. She, at times was in no shape to be out doing these things (but we always got her out anyway!), but if she stayed comfortable, then it must have worked. It was the Clark that fianlly worked right for her. She got her HH to work, but setting it up and all the stuff she had to do to get it right to me, was not worth the effort. I'll use that HH in mild temps, but I want a workhorse hammock.

Hammock
    Camo HH & CC LEX
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    Super Shelter/KAQ
    Suspension
    JRB Tri-Glide Set
    Images
    I am not sure why your're having so much trouble. I personally love the Clark Jungle NX-250. Such a sweet rig-- and comes with a big price tag.

You already own the hammock, spend the 50.00 for the zipper mod. Whether you have a Clark or Hennessy, you will need an underquilt. You could buy the HH top cover & a under quilt and still have cash left over--alot of it to buy other things to make your system a complete 4 season shelter.

With all of that being said, if you want a Clark, you should get a Clark. I would hate for you to spend all that money based on not being able to get comfortable in a HH.

Good luck to you and I hope you find the bliss in hammock camping.

Hammock
    Clark NA Camo
    Tarp
    Clark Camo XL
    Insulation
    Army poncho liner
    If you're on the fence, get the bigger one. I'm 6'4", 240 and I purchased the NA. I'm snug and I don't mind it. If the extra $40 is affordable, go for it.
    I sleep in the trees.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post

You already own the hammock, spend the 50.00 for the zipper mod
    what's the zipper mod?

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    .....but which one?

I'm 6 ft tall and 188 lbs. It sounds as if the standard NA would work for me, but then again after days of reading stuff here, it sounds like I'm just at the margin for needing the 200.
    I'm 5' 10" and way too close to 220 lbs (at the moment!) and I fit just fine in a NA.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorax View Post
    I had originally planned on the NA with the bigger fly which would put me at $320 or so, but now I'm thinking the bigger hammock which comes with the XL fly for like $360 is what I may need.
    Or you could buy my Gently Used but Raccoon assaulted NA for $225.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Lorax:
    I would suggest that you get the NX-200 or 250. I am in the 6'1" 300 size and I fit in the NX 200 that I have. I am very comfortable and feel no shoulder squeeze. I tried the NA bed out before I got the NX and I an tell you that there is a noticeable differnce in them. But that is just me.......see if you can get with someone and try them out!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    WBBB (1.7,1.1) Nx-200 and ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly and MJ
    Insulation
    Pad and HG UQ
    Suspension
    Straps with mods
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    I am not sure why your're having so much trouble. I personally love the Clark Jungle NX-250. Such a sweet rig-- and comes with a big price tag.

You already own the hammock, spend the 50.00 for the zipper mod. Whether you have a Clark or Hennessy, you will need an underquilt. You could buy the HH top cover & a under quilt and still have cash left over--alot of it to buy other things to make your system a complete 4 season shelter.

With all of that being said, if you want a Clark, you should get a Clark. I would hate for you to spend all that money based on not being able to get comfortable in a HH.

Good luck to you and I hope you find the bliss in hammock camping.
    I never felt the need for HH zipper mod. The "birth canal" with it's velcro always works fine for me. When messing with my HH over the past few years, I have found that it's not for me once the temps drop. I end up bringing way too much stuff sacrificing any weight savings. It is my warm weather hammock of choice though.
    The Weathershield is the selling point here. Coming from NE PA (Poconos) to the upper midwest 7 years ago was an eye opener. I thought I'd seen it all in the Whites, Maine, 'Dacks, etc, but the amount of wind here changed everything. I mean everything. I upgraded gear like crazy to deal with that raw cutting wind. The Weathershield will help.
    Also, a lot of my outdoor time is spent setting up camp on a river or island while I fish and camp for a few days. I'm thinking the Clark would be my rock solid "basecamp" version of hammock camping.
    But when that weather finally gets warm, It will be the HH that sees the most use on the trail.
    I also have a need for an additional hammock for my son and also my buddy to borrow for when they go on trips with me. I have an 11 dayer planned for BWCA/Quetico in early Sept. this year and plan on taking two hammocks.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast