Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images

Trip Report / Warm Weather UQ

Hello all,

i'm coming back from a camping trip with my Boy scouts..

three things happened - 1. i introduced my troop to hammock camping, they'd all heard about me doing it and they'd even seen pictures but they kept making fun of how funny it looked because it wasn't a tent. the mockery ended abruptly when they got to set up and lay in my blackbird. leaders and scouts were very impressed with the quick setups and the leave no trace aspect. +1 for hammocking...

2. we didn't know about the water main breaking so all 15 of us leaders included got the poops... sorry for the details but you guys get it.

3. it was a miserable night this past saturday in camp Sayre near Boston, MA... after hiking all around in blue hills reservation i was looking forward to a comfy night of sleep under the stars. and teh night before was just that so i my expectations of course were high. it was however the muggiest night i've slept outside in a long time and i wasn't used to it.

so my trip was awesome, the scouts had a good time and we took some awesome pictures, we saw some mountain bikers and a people on horses out there... we got to practice basic to intermediate orienteering and we had decent food... all in all it was an awesome time and everyone has plenty of memories of it all.

however to address situation #3. does anyone have or make a warm weather UQ?? i'm not looking for anything too thick or heavy, its just that i was using my 3 season yeti and as much as i love that thing it certainly proved to be too warm. i wasn't even able to use a TQ becuase of how warm i got... but i realized too quickly that if i moved the yeti, i got too cold underneath...

i've been seeing things coming up here and there regarding insultex and thin climashield quilts but does anyone make one for like 50 degrees or warmer just something more or less to block out the wind?

thanks in advance for all you contribute hopefully we'll have some scouts ordering up some hammocks to get these kids off the ground and into some swinging comfort..

Sebastian

Hammock
    Blackbird DL1.1 / ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    WntrYeti/Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie + Webbing
    When it was about 55-60* at night, and before I had an underquilt, a doubled-up fleece blanket underneath me kept me plenty warm. If you have a double-layer BB, I bet you could just bring a fleece throw blanket, or even some of your extra clothing, between the layers and it would keep you plenty warm at night.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    Thats where the whole Neat Sheet UQ/TQ comes in... It was heavily discussed last summer. search Neat sheets on this site. Very easy DIY project. The recent IX stuff MacEntyre is doing might work too, not sure if it will be too warm compared to Neat Sheets.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I have been thinking about doing some ligther quilts out of a 3.3 oz Climashield but the cost diffrence is only $1.00 per yard over the stuff we use now so they would not really be any cheaper than the regular but they would be a bit lighter and better for warmer weather. The other option is some 2.5 oz that I would have to pay shipping on small boxes as that supplier does not want to ship in large quantity's so the cost would actually be higher. But it is a slightly more compressible insulation so it would be a better choice than the 3.3 Any one interested?
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    i'll take one...
    i'm not really good at the DIY scene, so unless someone's making one already it doesn't sound like i will be either.. but i'm not gonna put anyone out to go out of their way to make one.

if a lighter uq in on the drawing board then i'd pay to get a prototype version and even test it. but if this is going to inconvenience someone then no thanks.

I don't think you can go wrong with anything that Paul make's!!!
    Hey Paul any word on what we talked about? (sorry to hijack thread)!!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    yeah i know paul's awesome.. but if he doesn't have anything like that in the works then i surely dont want him to go out of his way to make me something if i'm the only one that wants it... idk, i'll think about it.. i got a lot of nights in that blackbird ahead of me this summer and i'd hate to be sweating buckets into a yeti

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    CB Still working on it, one of the parts is proving to be a bit harder to find than I had hoped.

As to the quilts, it would not be a big deal to do them in the lighter insulation. Just have to get some of it, been planning on doing that any way. Other than that no change in how we do them or what it takes labor or material wise to do them, just want to justify ordering the lighter insulation.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    well paul, keep me posted as to when you anticipate if at all if you are looking to do that lightweight UQ i was thinking about getting one of the synth uq's that you currently offer but i see that they are still rated for 3 season use...

i was just looking for something again more for blocking wind in warmer weather and not much else... just something very light.

and of course i know that you're prices are more than fair... just shoot me a pm with details if and when you can.

thanks in advance,

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 Dbl Coyote Brown
    Tarp
    Superfly, MacCat
    Insulation
    Leigh's 2/3UQ,Yeti
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Another option

Here is another option for a summer underquilt: