Warbonnet Blackbird Double 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil-nylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing

Newbie mild weather question

I've read on this forum that most people need some kind of bottom insulation below 65-70 degrees. I'm planning a trip next weekend where I'm expecting lows from the low to mid 60s. If I used a thin fleece sleeping bag as a sleeping bag, could I leave the bulky pad home? Thanks.

You probably could? Yes most do not need anything under them above 65-70*, but not all! There is some things you left out! Are you a cold sleeper or warm sleeper or hot sleeper? Have you been out in the hammock before in temps close to what you may be getting? Where are you going? Just cause they list the temp possible lows other factors come in to play like wind, dew point, where you hang your hammock ie.. position in the wind, at a natural break, out in the open, and sooo much more!? Are you backpacking or car camping? would taking the pad cause a problem? Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it! Not sure this helps you any, a lot of all this is very much a personal comfort thing!

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil-nylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I don't have much experience with the hammock. I got it for Christmas and have played with it in the back yard. This will be the first chance I get to take it backpacking. The weather up to now has been cool enough that it wasn't a question. Now I'm in the borderline region. Coastal Mississippi is very flat so there isn't much windbreak except for the trees. I would say that I am an average sleeper, not expecially hot or cold. Humidity is usually high so there will likely be some dew.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    I could ... but most folks can't ... that's one you'll need to determine on your own. If you're concerned take that pad ... better to carry it than be uncomfortable all night.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    currently my DIY bridge
    Tarp
    8 x 10 sil tarp
    Insulation
    DIY tq,pads
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I'm one of those who need bottom insulation any time it drops below 70. You may want to take some bottom insulation along just in case. It doesn't need to be much, a small foam pad (cut up the ccf?), or a piece of thin foam stolen from some other use.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That temperature range sounds like insulation is needed, but if you sleep really warm, fleece weight may get you by. Think of it more like laying in a shallow pool of 65 degree water and you'll be toward what moving air will feel like after a brief period.
    I my Warbonnet

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10 sil-nylon
    Insulation
    DIY IX Jerry Chair
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Thanks, guys. I'll be prepared and take the pad. The comparison to 65 degree water....Brrrrrh I sometimes wear a wetsuit to swim in springs near that temp.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    You probably could? Yes most do not need anything under them above 65-70*, but not all! There is some things you left out! Are you a cold sleeper or warm sleeper or hot sleeper? Have you been out in the hammock before in temps close to what you may be getting? Where are you going? Just cause they list the temp possible lows other factors come in to play like wind, dew point, where you hang your hammock ie.. position in the wind, at a natural break, out in the open, and sooo much more!? Are you backpacking or car camping? would taking the pad cause a problem? Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it! Not sure this helps you any, a lot of all this is very much a personal comfort thing!
    +1
    Cranky Bear said it all. There's a lot of information there. Pay close attention to each of those points, and then revisit them after your trip. Have fun!

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Quoddy View Post
    That temperature range sounds like insulation is needed, but if you sleep really warm, fleece weight may get you by. Think of it more like laying in a shallow pool of 65 degree water and you'll be toward what moving air will feel like after a brief period.
    This is just about the best description I've ever read for people to figure out why some are cold and others are warm at the same tempature. I'm not comfortable in the ocean or rivers until the water temp is in the 80's. And now I know why I'm always taking my UQ on every hang. (summer light weight one in the summer time!!!) I'm also a cold sleeper when hanging but inside in the bed, I'm a roasting hot sleeper. So be aware too that you can be one type inside and another type outside. You've got to do your own testing to figure this one out
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    A cut up ccf will probably work for insulation AND a sit/kneel pad. You'll probably want a piece of ccf anyway.

• + New Posts