Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    pn-60 is now available.
    Interesting. I see it mentioned all over the place, but delorme.com does not have it for sale or mentioned.

Senior Member leepingreenlizards's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Leepinglizzards, is it me, or does the route up Fodderstack never seem to end? It's not that long, and it's not that high, but it just seems to keep dishing out.

I'll second your assessment of N. Citico. You should try that one in the winter. I think it has five stream crossings with one of them being very close to a waterfall. (which tends to be more challenging when frozen)

I don't think that you can go wrong here. The one thing I would NOT plan on is big miles. These aren't well groomed AT miles. I've done 12 mile day hikes with no pack weight that have taken the better part of a day.

If you're wanting to cover miles, you might consider doing the BMT section through the area. It is not easy, but it is better maintained.

The REALLY cool part about Citico/Kilmer/Slick Rock is that no permits are required and you can camp where you want. Just be sure to hang your food, and watch out for some of the 500+ lb pigs.

Yeah, Fodderstack can dish it out, especially after hiking from 900 ft at the bottom of North Fork to 5200 ft to Fodderstack. It's listed as difficult at 12.2 miles. I've always wanted to hike it from Far Gap, but trying to find someone that'll shuttle down that long windy mountain road (Double Camp\Jake Best Road?) to get there is impossible---I'm sure that end sees very little use if any. It would be a great way to go as most of it would be "DOWNHILL".

North Fork and Grassy Gap were washed out bad during those floods years ago. I couldn't believe the difference on Grassy Gap. Both had a lot of big rocks, deep roots. As far as water crossings go, I think there are more than five. I know that you can plan on a lot of crossings in the area. I know the waterfall you’re talking about. The trail cuts across it. We stayed back a bit to be safe. Too close to the edge and too far to fall in a place like that. It would be a great spot to hang for the night though.

I've heard of the pigs and I know there are record size Black Bears. Fortunately, I never saw either one. I do know that it's the same general area where that woman and her kids were attack by a big Black Bear---sad it killed the kids and badly mauled her. You have to be prepared and they may not like it, but I always go packing!

I agree about the no permits required as well---very nice. Camp anywhere you want as long as its 100 feet of the trail and camp fires allowed as well. The only thing I don't like is the unbelievably high cost of an out of state trout permit, WOW!
    Last edited by leepingreenlizards; 05-05-2010 at 08:06.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty View Post
    You probably already know this, but camping is not allowed in the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest. You can camp in the surrounding wilderness areas, however. But, the JKMF should definitely be a part of your planned hike. The old growth trees are amazing.
    You can camp at Bob's Bald. I'm unsure about the rest as my hikes were mainly in Citico.

Images
    how long does it take to go through the memorial forest?

If i want to get maps of the bmt, at, both national forests, and the wilderness areas, what maps should i get?

Can all these areas be connected in a 4 day hike, averaging 15-18 miles a day?

i really have no idea as of right now guys, sorry for all the questions, just really excited and want to know what books/maps i need to order. I sold a bunch of stuff so im gonna get the new pn-60, it outta help out when i can get a signal.
    You can do that kind of mileage, but it'll be really tough and you can count on being beat up at the end of the day and your brother may not have such a great time doing that kind of mileage on his first hike. You'll yourself having to hike slower in the valleys. I know that trails like the North Fork are very narrow with steep drops, root washes and just plain rough hiking in some sections, so you'll want to watch your footage. you have to keep in mind that it's a true wilderness area that sees little use, so the trails are'nt easy. I personally won't hike there in plain trail shoes. A good hiking boot with good ankle support and grip are important, doesn't have to be a big heavy boot, just offer good support. To me, a lot of the hiking trails are more a kin to off trail hiking and can be difficult. Especially for me and my bad feet, ankles and knees.

Know how to read a map\compass and GPS and you'll be alright. Just take your time and don't panic if the trail seems to disappear. For instance, at the top of North fork, the trail is actually a small shallow stream and you have to walk in it because it’s surrounded by a lot of tall, thick brush.

Even with all that you’ve been told, you’ll have a great time, but, you need to know your abilities\limits and plan well!
    Last edited by leepingreenlizards; 05-05-2010 at 07:35.

Images
    For us, we were content to hike 8 miles a day. It allowed us the time to swim, enjoy views and other stuff along the way.

I've been considering planning a hike around fall (before hunting season) or early to mid spring. Should be really nice. Only problem is that there's so much rain fall in the area, especially that time of year, that the stream's can get pretty high.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Interesting. I see it mentioned all over the place, but delorme.com does not have it for sale or mentioned.
    I just googled it and found it'll be released on June 10, 2010. Was surprised to see it as I hadn't heard about it. Looks like the only significant change is that for $500 + subscriber fees, you'll recieve a "SPOT" transmitter with it. You can buy one for $400, but the SPOT transmitter isn't included.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'

big foot

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=16995

Could this be an HF member? He said he uses a hammock. Probably a curious bear, thoughts?

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    Yeah, Fodderstack can dish it out, especially after hiking from 900 ft at the bottom of North Fork to 5200 ft to Fodderstack. It's listed as difficult at 12.2 miles. I've always wanted to hike it from Far Gap, but trying to find someone that'll shuttle down that long windy mountain road (Double Camp\Jake Best Road?) to get there is impossible---I'm sure that end sees very little use if any. It would be a great way to go as most of it would be "DOWNHILL".
    If you ever want to give it a whirl, we could meet out there. Using both vehicles would make it easy. I've done that parking on the Skyway and hiking down to Warden Station a few times.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=16995

Could this be an HF member? He said he uses a hammock. Probably a curious bear, thoughts?
    Oh heck, everyone knows about the Black Mountain Monster. I just thought I'd leave that out as it might discourage you from going there.

There are some big critters in that area. Some with claws, some with hooves. If you set camp in the hollows, the wind will rush down the trail sound like a heard of rhinos just before it smacks up against your tarp. Just as you settle in after that, another wind will come up the trail in the opposite direction.

Two adults with their food hung won't have much problems with bears. A herd of wild pigs on the other hand have much less fear.
    If you are trying to make your miles after sunset, be wary. A lot of bear activity happens around dusk.

Like I said, it is wild in there. That's part of the fun.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    I just googled it and found it'll be released on June 10, 2010. Was surprised to see it as I hadn't heard about it. Looks like the only significant change is that for $500 + subscriber fees, you'll recieve a "SPOT" transmitter with it. You can buy one for $400, but the SPOT transmitter isn't included.
    It looks a little better than a PN-40, but I don't know that I would justify the upgrade. It seems like the biggest enhancement is it's integration with the Spot and the ability to send actual messages as opposed to the pre-defined messages that Spot alone will send.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast