Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    You really think you could kill a charging bear with a pistol? First you have to hit something running super fast, then you gotta hit it in the kill zone, then you probably gotta hit it again. You also have to be loaded and aiming during the attack-ie you saw it coming, which may not be a possiblity at night.
    I've dropped a brown bear in Alaska with using a 44 magnum with a 2.5" barrel. One shot of buffalo bore 300grain. I then had to hike 14 miles back to the ranger station to report it. That was during the day, and I did see him coming. I hit the first time. I can't say that it would be the same if I needed to do it again, especially in low light. I did however spend a few quality years learning to shoot at night.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    Odds are, you wouldn't have to hit it, just shoot in the general area or in the air. Unlike brown bears (none there), most black bears scare off fairly easily. The one that attacked that family tried to charge the park ranger that found him with the little girl, but a couple shots and he was gone. More could be said, but out of respect for the family, I'll leave it at that.

Listen, don't let all of this unsettle you. Odds are, you won't even see one except in the really remote areas and it's still not likely you will.

It's well worth the visit---you won't regret it.
    The guy that chased the bear away was carrying a .380. It had to have been the noise, because a 380 won't penetrate a black bear enough to stop it.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leepingreenlizards View Post
    If I decide to go, I might just take you up on the offer.

By the way, your not one of those toothless meth lab guys are you?
    Most methheads will flame out within a mile or so of the trailhead. It's the banjo players you want to be wary of.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I have both the brown book and the falcon smokies books. The falcon lists trails that are supposedly not croweded year round. ARe there such trails in the smokies or will they all be packed leading up to and following the 4th of july.
    Living right next to the GSMNP, I avoid it on holiday weekends. If I lived further away, and that was my only chance to go, I might have a different view.
    That being said, there are 900 miles of trails with millions of visitors each year.
    Of those millions, most never leave the trailhead. Of the visitors that do venture out on a trail, 90% will stop within two miles of their parking spot. If you avoid Fontana, Cades Cove, Cosby and the AT, you will reduce those numbers even more. The more remote it is, the fewer day trippers you'll encounter.

You'll need a permit, and may need to reserve a place at one of the designated camp sites. While designated camp sites might be a hassle, it is necessary to help reduce the impact of all those people.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...ry-camping.htm

That being said, I still prefer the outlying federal lands as it offers more freedom and flexibility for backpacking. I love hiking in the Smokies, but my overnite trips there are maybe 4-5 a year.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    I just realized linville gorge is right next door in pisgah national forest. Would it be possible to do linville + cherokee or nanthahala in one 4-5day trip?

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    I just realized linville gorge is right next door in pisgah national forest. Would it be possible to do linville + cherokee or nanthahala in one 4-5day trip?
    Just hop the Mountain to Sea Trail and the sky is the limit. It'll still be crowded, and you'll still have haze.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567