Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaydweight View Post
    I want to make one like the Winter Dream, one with closeable doors and side tieouts (even thought I guess it doesn't have to have it, but might as well learn right?)

Any help would be really appreciative, thanks.
    Feel free to PM (or email: [email protected]) if you have any specific questions on that design, or building tarps in general. I'd be glad to help with any detail questions.

Quote Originally Posted by jaydweight View Post
    Thanks for the tip. What material is used in the corner triangular tie outs? It looks like a heavier nylon. Also should I us webbing for the tie down straps that connect with the loop or stick with grossgrain?
    You can do it as simply as using scrap from your tarp material, but I do recommend a heavier nylon instead. I am using 200D Oxford Nylon for my tie-out reinforcement pieces (and will be selling it by the yard in the store soon). The Oxford works very well.

As for webbing loops - Grossgrain does work, it's just not as strong as actual webbing. If you do go with gg, I recommend you double it up for the ridgeline tie-out as that sees a lot of stress compared to the other tie-outs.

The most difficult part of building a tarp is simply the sheer volume of material you have to work with. And I suppose for some the slipperiness of Silnylon can be difficult at first - but it becomes second nature after a while.

Enjoy!
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sclittlefield View Post
    .....The most difficult part of building a tarp is simply the sheer volume of material you have to work with. And I suppose for some the slipperiness of Silnylon can be difficult at first - but it becomes second nature after a while.
    Man that's putting it mildly ... the volume used in a tarp, the slippery nature of the stuff it's like wrestling a greased jelly fish while submerged in oil! OK ... maybe a little dramatic ... but I admire anyone that makes tarps as a business. I know some things like having the space and a large cutting table help ... but even so ... job well done to those of you that do it!

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk-eye View Post
    the slippery nature of the stuff it's like wrestling a greased jelly fish while submerged in oil!
    Nearly peed my pants on that one Hawk-eye...

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Man that's putting it mildly ... the volume used in a tarp, the slippery nature of the stuff it's like wrestling a greased jelly fish while submerged in oil! OK ... maybe a little dramatic ... but I admire anyone that makes tarps as a business. I know some things like having the space and a large cutting table help ... but even so ... job well done to those of you that do it!
    Pins, clips, staples anything that helps stabilize the fabric for that first stitch line is your friend. Don't be afraid of pins and a tarp. You are going to seam seal it anyway so the pinholes are of no consequence. After the first stitch line the fabric won't slip around as much.

Be very aware of your fabric "underneath". Any fold or bunch can get caught up in the seam and sewn accidentally. That's a pain. Keep the fabric smooth and flat as you let the machine feed it through.

Oh.. one more thing.. practice sewing straight seams until you are comfortable with the results. It doesn't have to be perfect. But mostly straight helps the tarp stretch properly when pitched.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Nearly peed my pants on that one Hawk-eye...
    OOPS ... sorry about that ... hope you didn't ruin one of those great tarps you make!!

Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    .... Be very aware of your fabric "underneath". Any fold or bunch can get caught up in the seam and sewn accidentally....
    Man ... been there done that ... do I get a T-shirt?

Hammock
    DIY-Speer Type
    Suspension
    Nacrabiner/Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by shevy77 View Post
    Several popular sizes have printable templates. See the attached.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...3&postcount=55

Shevy77
    Sweet. I had no idea something like this existed. Thanks! My ripstop nylon I get from my wholesaler comes 60" wide, any idea if there is a pattern for 60" fabric? If not, I'll just bring it down to 54".

Thanks.

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    OOPS ... sorry about that ... hope you didn't ruin one of those great tarps you make!!
    It's ok, they're waterproof.

Rev made a really really really good point I want to re-iterate, just so it gets ground in.

Be very careful that a fold of fabric doesn't get in under what you're trying to sew... it can happen very easily. It's not the end of the world, especially as a DIY'er, but for us selling tarps... it's back to the starting line and maybe this one can be sold as a seconds if anyone wants it. Go slow.

Oh, one other thing I've found with slippery silnylon - like Rev said, let the feed dogs do the work, but I find that it helps A LOT to keep tension both in front and behind (equal, you're not pulling it, just keeping it tight) as you feed it through the machine. I hope that makes sense. It's so slippery that it can try to feed at different intervals, with the feed dogs moving some along, while the top part lags a bit to catch up.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Man ... been there done that ... do I get a T-shirt?
    THAT would be a very large percentage of the DIYers on this site!
    me included!
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Hammock
    DIY-Speer Type
    Suspension
    Nacrabiner/Whoopie
    It's ok, they're waterproof.

Rev made a really really really good point I want to re-iterate, just so it gets ground in.

Be very careful that a fold of fabric doesn't get in under what you're trying to sew... it can happen very easily. It's not the end of the world, especially as a DIY'er, but for us selling tarps... it's back to the starting line and maybe this one can be sold as a seconds if anyone wants it. Go slow.

Oh, one other thing I've found with slippery silnylon - like Rev said, let the feed dogs do the work, but I find that it helps A LOT to keep tension both in front and behind (equal, you're not pulling it, just keeping it tight) as you feed it through the machine. I hope that makes sense. It's so slippery that it can try to feed at different intervals, with the feed dogs moving some along, while the top part lags a bit to catch up.
    Can I use ripstop nylon for a tarp, or does if have to be silnylon? What's the difference?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast