Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    In 0F i've been comfy sleeping in a thermawrap, icbreaker 260's top and bottom, and a no sniv top and bottom with balaclava and gloves. HIking in this temp i am fine with a thermawrap, baselayers, and balaclava and gloves. sitting in camp i just layer my no sniv over my thermawrap. WHat hte no sniv really needs is draw string closures on the sleeve, much of the heat esacapes through the massive sleeve gaps. I amgonna solve this problem tonight.
    If your rain jacket is large enough, you can just put the NS under that. That'll solve the air gap issue pretty well.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    And there be the glory of the MMP, eh mate? A No Sniv strapped on in it's own little stuff sack, available for quick deployment as a jacket to be used at lunch break. Or at least stuffed at the top of whatever (dry?) sack is used for down items. Never done it, but it seems reasonable.
    I've been thing of a MMP. I just went from giant heavy Deuter to a 2lb Go Lite Pinnacle.
    You know the strange thing about trimming weight is that you are supposed to eliminate the things you don't need. Which brings me back to what should go at the bottom of the pack.

Do those MMP carry well with just one shoulder? I've been trying the Jardine approach of carrying my newly lighter pack on one shouder in order to keep my back cooler when it's hot.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The omni-tape at the neck hasn't bothered me. It's pretty soft...not like normal velcro. And the good thing is that you can stick the omni-tape together tightly around your neck to keep the warmth in, unlike the fixed necks of most jackets.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    The omni-tape at the neck hasn't bothered me. It's pretty soft...not like normal velcro. And the good thing is that you can stick the omni-tape together tightly around your neck to keep the warmth in, unlike the fixed necks of most jackets.
    I'm just thinking of the omni-tape on the JRB bridge hammock and how uncomfortable it can be on the back of my legs if I'm sitting in the hammock

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For me, that has more to do with how tight the edge is rather than the omni-tape. But you might be more sensitive to the tape than I am...only way to find out is to try it!

But a neck gaiter weighs less than a jacket, so if it bothers you just bring a neck gaiter. Better yet, an HF buff!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I've been thing of a MMP. I just went from giant heavy Deuter to a 2lb Go Lite Pinnacle.
    You know the strange thing about trimming weight is that you are supposed to eliminate the things you don't need. Which brings me back to what should go at the bottom of the pack.

Do those MMP carry well with just one shoulder? I've been trying the Jardine approach of carrying my newly lighter pack on one shouder in order to keep my back cooler when it's hot.
    One shoulder? New one for me, never tried it with any pack. Interesting. The thing I love the most about the MMP is the front pack. Most anything I might need while on the move, and as much % of weight as possible. Very handy and really helps the carry and comfort. But, and this is about the only negative I can find, it adds a new hot spot, your belly. But sometimes I let it hang really loose or partly to the side, and that helps.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    One shoulder? New one for me, never tried it with any pack. Interesting. The thing I love the most about the MMP is the front pack. Most anything I might need while on the move, and as much % of weight as possible. Very handy and really helps the carry and comfort. But, and this is about the only negative I can find, it adds a new hot spot, your belly. But sometimes I let it hang really loose or partly to the side, and that helps.
    Actually something as surprisingly simple as only using one strap makes a huge difference with the wet back syndrome. If you manage to have a pack that weighs less than 12 pound or so, you don't need support or stability all that much. I switch shoulders very so often, and it keeps me much dryer that I'd be with it on my back. Think about it. What's the R-value of a backpack?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Great stuff on the MMP...but this is thread is about the NS. If the MMP comments don't relate to the NS, please post them on a different thread.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadtorque View Post
    Not having worn a wearable quilt from the jacks I keep asking myself if the omni tape on my neck would not dive me crazy. Any comments on this?
    Furthermore, what are you all using to insulate your arms? I see the quilt only covers partway down your arms.
    Roadtorque, et al,

As other have noted , if you want more coverage JRB makes hoods and sleeves that work with the sniveller style quilts or any jacket or vest...

FWIW when a JRB Hood is installed in the NS head hole there is no omnitape in contact with the wearer at all... Others on the site have remarked that a JRB Hood is the best spent 2 oz in their pack for versitility of use and the range extension it add to any quilt use in sleeping mode.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I forgot about the added sleeves and hood. With a hood and sleeves I am covered for all but the coldest time I camp. Love to put the sleeves on my feet.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast