Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    KAQ
    Suspension
    Web strap

If you needed a tarp for a WBBB what would you pick?

I am BRAND NEW to hammocks. I have ordered a WBBB. I have not even got it yet. I am looking for a tarp but I have no clue what to get? I am a Scout Master and most of my camping is and will be short 2 day trips. I live in north Florida. Thanks?

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mkrzyski View Post
    I am BRAND NEW to hammocks. I have ordered a WBBB. I have not even got it yet. I am looking for a tarp but I have no clue what to get? I am a Scout Master and most of my camping is and will be short 2 day trips. I live in north Florida. Thanks?
    As a scout master, you may want to look into something large enough that you can close off the ends for changing and whatnot (it can be a chore to do that in a hammock). Since you got a WBBB, you may consider one of their tarps with additional doors.

JRB sells an 11x10 that you can manipulate enough to close off the ends.

OES has rectangle tarps that can do it, and I think Brian's gonna have something with doors really soon as well, if not already.

Then there's Backwoods Daydreamer. Either the Winter Dream or either of the Four Season tarps will close off. BWDD is out of commission at the moment, but will be starting up again soon.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. Whether your going for an overnight or three wks what you want is something to suit your situation. Generally folks go for something along the lines of a OES MacCat Deluxe/ Warbonnet Hex/ size, something that gives you a little more coverage so you can have your gear at hand, change clothes, cook etc., under it. Now if you experience allot of wind where you are and/or winter camp then you might want a bigger tarp for that but certainly a hex size to start with or a diamond fly is good to start. Good luck
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    Being new to hammock camping I would suggest getting something with good coverage to keep you feeling safe and secure. After you get used to hammock camping you can think about going smaller.

I started with the Hennessey Hex Fly

Then went to the Superfly by Warbonnet

Now for 3 season I'm with the OES Deluxe

I'm also thinking of the mambajamba with doors for winter and putting my superfly in my get home bag in my car

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Here are a couple of pics of my WBBB with the OES MacCat Ultra with doors from the Zipper queen. Plenty of room and privacy.

He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Man I love this forum you get vendors endorsing other vendors its just amazing. Any ways IMHO its an easy choice and I promise I am not bias but id hold out for a BWWD. Scott makes a great tarp. All the vendors have quality products but their are a couple reasons I like my BWWD over other tarps. First of all I like how the doors are not cat cut and are st edge down. This really allows for a full closure. I like the plastic mitten hooks he includes to close the doors. The reinforcements on the side pull outs seem indestructable and it is a nice stealthy black color. So point being if you have some time to spare id hold out for a BWWD V2 or i believe he already has a V3 version out. If you need a more immideate tarp the super fly is a great tarp and the detachable doors are a nice option as well JRB and OES all make quality products. Check out this article

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=16945 by dejoha it has a lot of great info. Good luck and make sure you post pics of what ever you end up buying.

here is my BWWD and my WBBB

Side View

Doors Shut

Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Banned
    Images
    WB Superfly!!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    I would say an appropriate tarp depends on your intended use. The troop my son is in does mostly car-camping. If that is how you're going to use it, then consider the "blue" tarps from Home Depot. If used solely for carcamping, the extra cost to go lightweight is completely wasted. If you're going to use it backpacking, then definitely go with silnyl (or spinnaker, or cuben, etc). I have WBBB and have a simple rectangular silnyl 8x10 tarp from Campmor and have never had a problem with it. It isn't anywhere near as shiny as the pic would indicate.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Unless I'm backpacking... I carry my Guide Gear Tarp on just about all of my Scout outings. Most of the time I'm using my Clark tarp over my hammock but I'm still putting up the Guide Gear for either my gear or as a changing place or as a sun shade or for the scouts or as a dinning fly. I've used it over my hammock on longer trips where I stay in one location for a number of days (think Summer Camp here).

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=349343

TinaLouise

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB and Warbonnet Traveler
    Tarp
    MacCat Custom Spin
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ/Nunatak TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can't go wrong with an OES MacCat Deluxe to begin with. It'll save upgrading later on.
    I my Warbonnet

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast