Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rope question.

Rope question.

I keep reading about these wonderful light super strong ropes ... where can I get them? I can't seem to find them in my local outfitter stores.

Thanks for the help.

-VBP

Images
    www.apsltd.com

Quote Originally Posted by vic View Post
    I keep reading about these wonderful light super strong ropes ... where can I get them? I can't seem to find them in my local outfitter stores.

Thanks for the help.

-VBP

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    WBG pointed you to a really good source. From their stock, probably the most popular choices used on this forum are the Spyderline (both 1/8" and 5/32"), the Amsteel 12 and the Vectrus 12.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Do a search on Google for Dyneema or Spectra. Then try to find something that is 1000lbs or more.

Or just use the search I made.

Thank you all for the references. Great stuff and cheap too.

So if I am reading right. these 2-3 mm ropes can be used for supporting the hammock right? Here's what I am thinking ... An adjustable suspension system with no hardware. I may be nuts but I'm sure you'll let me know if that is the case.

My plan is to use my slapstraps around the trees and then rope to attach directly to my ENO end rope. I'd attach the webbing from the straps to the rope using a Lap-knot (aka sheetbend) and then use a rolling hitch knot to form an adjustable loop to attach the hammock. Aternatively a prusik could be used but it would require more pieces of rope. Crazy? will the rolling hitch hold? thoughts?

-VBP

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    If there is a West Marine up there in Maryland, they are a very good source for strong relatively inexpensive rope and cord.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    If there is a West Marine up there in Maryland, they are a very good source for strong relatively inexpensive rope and cord.
    But probably not that small of diameter and still be strong enough. You can get 3/16" or 1/4" that's strong enough. I haven't seen anything smaller.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

So if I am reading right. these 2-3 mm ropes can be used for supporting the hammock right? Here's what I am thinking ... An adjustable suspension system with no hardware. I may be nuts but I'm sure you'll let me know if that is the case.

My plan is to use my slapstraps around the trees and then rope to attach directly to my ENO end rope. I'd attach the webbing from the straps to the rope using a Lap-knot (aka sheetbend) and then use a rolling hitch knot to form an adjustable loop to attach the hammock. Aternatively a prusik could be used but it would require more pieces of rope. Crazy? will the rolling hitch hold? thoughts?

-VBP
    I wouldn't trust a "rolling hitch" (a.k.a. taut-line). But someone else was talking about this a couple of weeks ago, with some picture in the gallery. I think that was when I learned about the Kleimheist hitch.

Grizz

Images
    the problem with friction knots, is the rope the friction knot is made of needs to be quite a bit smaller in diameter than the rope it is sliding on. since you are already using close to the thinnest line you can, line of the same diameter won't hold as well, and you can't use 1mm, for instance, b/c it will not be strong enough.

if i were going to try and make this work, i would use line covered w/polyester cover for max friction, and when i ran the line through the tree strap, i would wrap it through the loop twice for more friction, and add some more wraps to the tautline, and then set it as tightly as possible by hand.

i wouldn't be surprised if it didn't hold though.

let us know how it works

-VBP

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast