Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Can a HH be pitched too tight?

I recently replaced my stock support rope with rings buckles and webbing on my HH exped asym. I am noticing that I can hang the hammock much tighter now than with the stock ropes. This past weekend I went out on an overnighter and hung my hammock low and tight (due to 14 mph winds off the lake) between two trees that were approximately 20 feet apart. When I got in the hammock the ridgeline was about 4 inches from my face. It was a bit annoying and their wasn't a lot of room in the hammock. Is this because I had it pitched so tight or was something else going on? I did notice, however, that I could almost sleep completely flat on my stomach. I was also the first time I pitched between two trees so far apart.

If you have a problem, you could always replace the ridgeline with Spectra.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    I think ZDP is right. It sounds like you may have had the suspension tight enough to cause the ridgeline to stretch, distorting the shape of the hang some.

There have been a few reports that HH has switched to a nylon ridgeline for some of their hammocks, instead of the spectra that they used to use. If that's the case (and if you are really getting stretch), I beleive I'd replace the ridgeline with something non-stretching. Then, you can hang as tight as you like and still get the same hammock shape.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I really crank my HH as tight as I can when setting up.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

The ridgeline stretching makes sense now that you mention it. Thanks for the info fellas.

Images
    when the HH streaches out ..you loose the sag..and thus the space inside the hammock...i set mine tight..but i think with the extra leverage of the strap and buckles ..you can over do it..i would try a thicker non-streach ridge..or try shortning your ridge a few inches and see if this add the proper slack to the set up...good luck

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I recently replaced my stock support rope with rings buckles and webbing on my HH exped asym. I am noticing that I can hang the hammock much tighter now than with the stock ropes.
    I have been wondering if changing to rings/buckle setups have contributed to some of the ridgeline failures discussed in other threads?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    I have been wondering if changing to rings/buckle setups have contributed to some of the ridgeline failures discussed in other threads?
    Hey, you may be on to something!

Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    I think that's a definite possibility considering how much tighter you are able to pitch. I worried that it would snap all night long. Luckily it didn't. While the flatness of the hammock was very comfortable the lack of headroom/space in the hammock make it less desireable. There's definitely an art to hanging a hammock and I think, slowly but surely, I'm getting the hang of it (no pun intended.)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wamyteipen View Post
    I think that's a definite possibility considering how much tighter you are able to pitch. I worried that it would snap all night long. Luckily it didn't. While the flatness of the hammock was very comfortable the lack of headroom/space in the hammock make it less desireable. There's definitely an art to hanging a hammock and I think, slowly but surely, I'm getting the hang of it (no pun intended.)
    Are you in a Hennessy? Did your hammock lengthen when you tightened up? Would that be from the ridgeline stretching? I'm thinking of how the HH is supposed to have that consistant sag that doessn't vary much with how it is hung.

One consistant problem for me, if I don't pull pretty darn tight plus tie the side lines out, is bug net in my face. Sometimes I put a spare item or two over the ridgeline to widen the netting. Sometimes I think the netting is stretched from the time I managed to get on the netting the first night I ever used it. It just seems to loose to me. My Speer netting does not do that, but of course that's with an adjustable ridgeline.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-21-2007 at 16:52.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast