Thread: It aint right?

It aint right?

I cant get my new hammock to form a taught pitched through, as I am used to with all the cotton ones.
    No matter how I lay or if the rpoes are carefully sorted to spread out as needed, the sides flop around and the two outermost pairs of ropes on each end hang loosely, only the center ones are under load.
    What did I do wrong?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    oetzi- take a look at the way the ropes are attached to the hammock body in this shot:

I know it doesn't show it very well, but the length of each rope decreases slightly as it moves to the outer edge. I'm at work and don't have the measurements, but there is a small difference in length. In my experience, more important is the way they attach. When I tried attaching them in a straight line at a single point, I got results similar to yours. When I used the method in the pic, that uncomfortable ridge under me went away and the edges tended to stay more vertical than floppy. The more attachment points you put on there, the less rigid it feels on your underside. I'm still experimenting with this concept.
    Last edited by Cannibal; 08-31-2007 at 09:05. Reason: Really bad sentance; didn't make sense.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    That is a Bayer hammock. A good first hammock, but kind of hard to hang "just right".
    With a Bayer: The trees need to be EXACTLY the right distance apart, I found that spot after about 3 weeks of trying. The suspension cords are not fixed, so as you hang or get in/out of the hammock, they will stretch &/or slip, I don't know how to fix that. Everything on the Bayer will s t r e t c h (I had mine for 5 months, it was still stretching the last time I used it).
    When you find the "sweet spot" tie on a sturdy ridge line & life will be good. Just remember that the Bayer will stretch so you will have to re hang the ridgeline again & again.

OK, now to your problem: as stated above, the cords arnt fixed in place, you can shift them around to make some longer than the others. I hooked the hammock up to 2 trees, then pull on what cords I want to lengthen. This should allow you to have the sag you want. I never did this, but I thought that once I got it right, I would tie a knot just below the loop to fix the position of the cords. I didn't because every time you tie a knot it weakens the rope, but I bet the cords are strong enough.

Any other questions, PM me.

Doctari.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Ooops! Thought this was a DIY project. I need to pay more attention to which forum threads are in; sorry.

Thank you for the info!
    As you can see, the ropes are attatched quite simply, compared with yours. I measured them up, and they are all the same lenght.
    I dont think that I will rework and finetune this existing setup (dont know how anyway), but return it to the supplier next monday.

Doctari, as you can see, two strand form a loop, so it is not that easy to rearrange the setup. And individually shortening the strands by tying knots in is too much of an improvisation.
    i ordered this Hammock from th wholesaler who supplies our shop with moscito nets and Hammocks, because I liked it from the catalogue. But if it aint work as it should, they get it back.
    thank you for your help.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by oetzi View Post
    Doctari, as you can see, two strand form a loop, so it is not that easy to rearrange the setup. And individually shortening the strands by tying knots in is too much of an improvisation.
    i ordered this Hammock from th wholesaler who supplies our shop with moscito nets and Hammocks, because I liked it from the catalogue. But if it aint work as it should, they get it back.
    thank you for your help.

PM sent.

Doctari.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Thank you very very much for helping to understand this piece of gear!

• + New Posts