Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: HH shape?

Images

HH shape?

Well my mind never stops thinking about all the different shapes and sizes of hammocks

I know some of you made your own HH clones, but never saw the template shape. I read several of the threads and saw HEs drawing but never heard what shape was actually used.
    Headchange, I see how you gathered your ends but couldn't tell the shape.
    I know there was talk about trapezoids, odd shaped polygons and parallelograms and then some said it's just a simple rectangle....

It appears to me that it can be viewed as a simple rectangle but there might be be an advantage to a parallelogram with a ~60deg angle.

I just don't know how it would lie with just a corner used as suspension....
    Any of you asym types care to clear my head a bit?
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Images
    HH uses a rectangular hammock and a parallelogram shaped bug netting. The asymmetry really seems a result of the gathering (or rolling) and the tie outs from the corners of the bug netting.
    Last edited by lvleph; 08-31-2007 at 12:31.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The HH are made from a rectangular piece of fabric, just like all the other hammocks I have made. Mine was ~60' x10' using the dimensions given on the HH website. The shape aysm shape is defined by the roll whip, side tie outs, and the netting. The whipping mostly effects the way the hammock lays more than the shape. If I don't use my side tie outs the hammock looks just like a Speer. One the side tie outs come into play it takes on the HH look and shape. Ed Speer mistook my hammock for a HH when he first saw it at the last SEHHA I attended.

Arkwater experimented with a trapezoidal shaped piece of fabric. The thread is here:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156

I also tried the trap. shape with some simple folding, but I prefer the roll whip to all other methods I have used so far.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Those that have actually taken them apart found the Hennessy hammock is actually just a rectangle and the bug netting + tie-outs create the asym shape.

The hammock in HE's article actually uses parallelogram shaped fabric to create the asym shape.

I got a little confused in some of the threads because the shape terminology used was not always accurate.

You can also get an asym shape with a rectangular hammock by pulling opposite corners out a little when whipping.

I don't think any of the methods have "just a corner used as suspension".

Anyway, as far as I can tell, there are least three ways to make an asym hammock (so far):
    1. Hennessy way
    2. Shape of hammock fabric
    3. Method of whipping

Clear as mud?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Can someone point me in the direction of "rolled whipping" directions? I did a quick search and only found discussions about it, but no "how-to" info. Is it the same thing JJ calls "standard whipping"? That wouldn't seem to make sense to me, but heaven knows it wouldn't be the first time.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    Can someone point me in the direction of "rolled whipping" directions? I did a quick search and only found discussions about it, but no "how-to" info. Is it the same thing JJ calls "standard whipping"? That wouldn't seem to make sense to me, but heaven knows it wouldn't be the first time.
    The roll whip it shown in the first few step of my HH clone thread I am planning to do an article/tutorial on just the doing the roll whip soon. Maybe this weekend.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    The roll whip it shown in the first few step of my HH clone thread I am planning to do an article/tutorial on just the doing the roll whip soon. Maybe this weekend.
    Cool, thanks! I'm planning some DIY time next week and am always looking for new things to try. That's what I love about whipped hammocks; if you don't like it, just take the 2 minutes and try it again!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    You'll have fun with the roll whip because the number of folds/rolls per side affect the way the hammock feels and lays, sometimes drastically. I whipped my HH clone several times before I got the feel of the hammock just right.

www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    In an effort to stick with this thread's theme and still get my questions answered; you said the netting has more to do with the Asym shape than the cut or whipping. Granted, I haven't read all 199 posts in the Clone thread, but how would I determine the shape of the netting without taking apart my HH?

I'm thinking, build the hammock then hang it. Then temporarily attach the netting to one side, drape it over, make my marks on the netting, and then cut to size. Is that a good way to do it, or am I missing something?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    how many 'rolls' did you actually end up with?

So you just used the roll whip and added pullouts huh?
    Wow. I wonder if there is any advantage to a slightly different cut.
    I might just go buy some more cheap fabric......
    Thanks fellas for the info.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast