WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'

Thumbs up Pimp My Topquilt

This will be my first DIY quilt!! I've sold the ps3, the xbox, a tarp, a bag and a pad, with the hope of upgrading to a lighter top quilt. Now i have that ability. I want to go with a homemade for 3 season use w/ momentum and 900FP down. I want to go as light as possible. I originally considered cuben, but i just don't like the idea of a non-breatheable fabric on a quilt. Maybe for winter, but not for three season use.

1. What features would you add if you could go back and remake yours?

2. How wide would you make the shoulders? Im thinking of a 32" footbox right now and 46" wide @ shoulder.

3. What is the difference between momentum tafetta and momentum ripstop?

4. I would like a tapered bottom to save weight. So if anyone can point me to a guide on how to do that, that would be great.

So guys/gals feel free to help me engineer this baby, i was gonna order a nunatak, but after seeing @ what price i could diy, i backed out. Help me pimp my top quilt!
    Last edited by ikemouser; 05-08-2010 at 09:18.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Update: i sent an email to "all about down" will see what they say.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Sling/Web
    Might look at what one of the custom quilt guys on BPL is doing. You have to have some ability for air to get into a down quilt to loft up. One of the guys on BPL is making them out of cuben but putting a strip on momentum 90 down the middle to allow air in. Great looking design to me.
    Not the guy to ask for Directions.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongTurn View Post
    Might look at what one of the custom quilt guys on BPL is doing. You have to have some ability for air to get into a down quilt to loft up. One of the guys on BPL is making them out of cuben but putting a strip on momentum 90 down the middle to allow air in. Great looking design to me.
    I like that idea, but again for winter use. I just don't like the idea of a semi-vapor barrier in summer. Do you have a link to the thread?

Ike here's a link to the Cuben TQ for ya!!
    http://www.suluk46.com/RandD%20-%20RD4%20WLQ.html

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Ike here's a link to the Cuben TQ for ya!!
    http://www.suluk46.com/RandD%20-%20RD4%20WLQ.html
    Yea im gonna make one of those for winter use someday. Same in an UQ. Cuben with a strip of momentum top and bottom, prorbably a little bigger stirp since its an uq. My summer weight is already so light, i have no interest in sleeping in a sauna in summer. 4-5oz aint worth that. Now winter is a different story, which is where these quilts REALLY REALLY shine. Combine with the vapor barrier i see no reason why a 13-14oz one of these would not keep me toast at 0F.
    Last edited by ikemouser; 05-08-2010 at 09:36.

You could make it with two strip's of Momentum one on the inside and one on the outside? That would give you the venting you would need so it's not sauna like on the inside, and would keep the weight down, you could fill it with the 900fp down and customize the amount for the temp you would need?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    You could make it with two strip's of Momentum one on the inside and one on the outside? That would give you the venting you would need so it's not sauna like on the inside, and would keep the weight down, you could fill it with the 900fp down and customize the amount for the temp you would need?
    Sounds like a good idea. Griz is working on something along these lines, but I don't know if he favors a fabric strip on both outside and inside surfaces.

Ike,
    I used SULUK 46's spread sheet calculator to compare weights for cuben and Momentum. If you use Momentum for the whole thing, it could weigh 17.6 oz., whereas using cuben .33 oz would weigh 15 oz.
    http://enlightenedequipment.webs.com...alculator2.xls
    This is based on full taper, 46" head to 34" foot, and 74" length, which would fit you or me. I also aribtrarily used 3" of loft, which may not be what you'd use, but your overall weight difference between cuben and Momentum should be about 2.5 oz. regardless of the amount of fill. If you go with cuben and use CrankyBear's suggestion of Momentum strips to let in air (for loft) and let out moisture, that difference might be 2 oz. or less. Hope this helps.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    I want to go with a homemade for 3 season use w/ momentum and 900FP down.

If you have been working with your thread injector you should be able to tackle something like this.

2. How wide would you make the shoulders? Im thinking of a 32" footbox right now and 46" wide @ shoulder.

I would be a little careful about making that foot box that small. I just made one for an 11 year old girl and it had a 30" footbox. I was worried it was going to be to small for her. My wife stuck her size 6.5 foot in there at it was "Snug". My standard quilts taper down to 36" and I get my size 12 feet in there just fine. I am just saying that circle gets small fast!

Also, since this is a hammock quilt you are making, you might get by with it being a little narrower at the top. I am 6'1" with a somewhat athletic build and can use a 42" width with no problem at all YMMV

So guys/gals feel free to help me engineer this baby, i was gonna order a nunatak, but after seeing @ what price i could diy, i backed out. Help me pimp my top quilt!
    We can talk about it in more detail if you want to PM me.

~Stormcrow
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Man that cuben sure is tempting..wonder how much loft you would need for a 35-40 degree 3 season bag.

Also if someone knows the cheapest way to get cuben in .33oz let me know, zpacks only sells heavy stuff.

• + New Posts