WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles

Whoopie Sling "All in One" System

OK, after several trials of suspension systems I'm finally pulling the ripcord on an "all in one" system from WhoopieSlings. The system is basically the tree straps and slings integrated together via rings. I'm gonna have him toss in a pair of Dutch Clips as well (I love those things). I've been emailing back and forth with Kris to get the set up exact to my needs, and hope to have one of these babies in my hands soon!

I'll post my experience with them when I get them, but in the meantime has anyone purchased and used the "all in one"?

Hammock
    JRB BMBH w/ 2Q 3-zipper mod
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    JRB MW3, HR on top
    Suspension
    WhoOpiesling!
    Images
    Oh yeah. Sweet setup. Added the tarp ridgeline as well and it works well. The whole suspension (for hammock and tarp) is super easy and super light!

Images
    what length slings are you getting?

whoopie sling/clark/ridgeline

I have been going in circles trying to figure out the best way to have a structural ridgeline, whoopie slings, and use the stock clark tarp.

When I place a descending ring where the ridgeline should be , to hold up the weather shield and maintain the correct tension, I am in the way of the whoopie adjustment.

Has anyone figured out a reasonable compromise. The best I can come up with is a sling through the clark end, descending ring ~18" up from the end ot the hammock and a whoopie sling attached there. The ridgeline attaches to the descending ring.

The problem with this is that this makes the adjustment for the whoopie pretty far away from the end of the hammock and requires trees that are farther apart.

This is ok if you use straps and two descending rings and no whoopie sling.

Quote Originally Posted by texashanger View Post
    OK, after several trials of suspension systems I'm finally pulling the ripcord on an "all in one" system from WhoopieSlings. The system is basically the tree straps and slings integrated together via rings. I'm gonna have him toss in a pair of Dutch Clips as well (I love those things). I've been emailing back and forth with Kris to get the set up exact to my needs, and hope to have one of these babies in my hands soon!

I'll post my experience with them when I get them, but in the meantime has anyone purchased and used the "all in one"?

I intended to look into his system for the Clark I have coming but I have a question about it. It seems from his online description that the fixed eye of the whoopie is attached to the descender ring and the adjustable part of the whoopie runs through the eye of the tree strap. I would think it would be better, from an abrasion standpoint, to have it the other way around. I just picture the whoopie and the tree strap loop acting like little saw teeth on each other every time you adjust the whoopie whereas it would be a nice smooth glide across the descender ring.

Of course it's entirely possible I'm misunderstanding his construction and have it all backwards.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tgreening View Post
    I intended to look into his system for the Clark I have coming but I have a question about it. It seems from his online description that the fixed eye of the whoopie is attached to the descender ring and the adjustable part of the whoopie runs through the eye of the tree strap. I would think it would be better, from an abrasion standpoint, to have it the other way around. I just picture the whoopie and the tree strap loop acting like little saw teeth on each other every time you adjust the whoopie whereas it would be a nice smooth glide across the descender ring.

Of course it's entirely possible I'm misunderstanding his construction and have it all backwards.
    Nope... youve got it right.

The ring is placed where it is to provide a water stop under your tarp. If the ring is at the sling/webbing connection, it wont provide a water stop that would be under your tarp. That being said... I can place rings at both connection points. I just got a supply of SMC descending rings which are about half the weight of the rigging rings.

I dont think youll get much abrasion at the sling/webbing connection as you wont be adjusting the sling with your weight in it. Both materials are pretty slippery by nature... But I do recognize that it would be ideal to have a piece of hardware there. Its just a matter of weight...some dont want the extra and the connection places no more stress on either component than the MSH.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scbron View Post
    I have been going in circles trying to figure out the best way to have a structural ridgeline, whoopie slings, and use the stock clark tarp.

When I place a descending ring where the ridgeline should be , to hold up the weather shield and maintain the correct tension, I am in the way of the whoopie adjustment.

Has anyone figured out a reasonable compromise. The best I can come up with is a sling through the clark end, descending ring ~18" up from the end ot the hammock and a whoopie sling attached there. The ridgeline attaches to the descending ring.

The problem with this is that this makes the adjustment for the whoopie pretty far away from the end of the hammock and requires trees that are farther apart.

This is ok if you use straps and two descending rings and no whoopie sling.
    Perhaps someone can post some detailed pics of the clark design so I can get a look at it. I can alter the system to suit.

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Perhaps someone can post some detailed pics of the clark design so I can get a look at it. I can alter the system to suit.

I don't think there is anything special about the Clark design. It's just a channel.

I get what you're saying about adding another ring and the weight wouldn't bother me but, and maybe I'm being dense here, wouldn't it be possible to just flip the whoopie around? The ring you have now could stay where it's at, fixed eye is up at the tree strap end and the adjustable end runs through the ring down at the hammock end. No need for a second ring. Or is there something about whoopies that would make that arrangement problematic?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Yes that's possible. But it won't change the fact the you have the sling and webbing making direct contact. The adjustable loop running over the webbing isn't going to adversely effect anything.

Although, I do like that idea. I could then use a small rope thimble at the sling/ webbing connection.

In fact, the more I think about it the more I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    Yes that's possible. But it won't change the fact the you have the sling and webbing making direct contact. The adjustable loop running over the webbing isn't going to adversely effect anything.

Although, I do like that idea. I could then use a small rope thimble at the sling/ webbing connection.

In fact, the more I think about it the more I like it.

Couple questions.

1) What is a rope thimble?
    2) What is it used for?
    3) Will it henceforth be called an RT, or will it remain a "rope thimble"

Ok, I know that's three questions but the last one suddenly occurred to me and in the case the answer is yes, I wanted to get a jump on things.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast