Blackbird 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Edge in Spinn
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Clove Hitch

Top Quilt/Under Quilt Setup

I am looking for a new tq/uq setup and was wondering just how flexible temp ratings are on tq's and uq's. For ex. if I had a winter yeti uq (5 degree rating) how high of temps could I use it before I become uncomfortably hot or sweating?

I am looking for a tq/uq setup for a sobo thru hike of the AT and will most of the time be around 20-40 degrees, but occasionally will have some nights in the teens and some in the 50's.
    "Lets Start Today"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You can adjust the Winter Yeti pretty easily. 20-40 should be pretty comfortable as is. 50 is probably pushing it but I haven't tested it in those temps...just depends on how much fiddle factor you want. If you put a big air gap between the Yeti and hammock you could probably figure out how to be comfortable.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Edge in Spinn
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Clove Hitch
    50 is probably pushing it
    yea I was planning on using a light pad when it gets that hot, actually.

20-40 should be pretty comfortable as is.
    Glad to hear that. I have had worse sleep sleeping too hot rather than sleeping too cold, and was wondering about that.
    "Lets Start Today"

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB lightweight Dbl - Blue
    Tarp
    Warbonnet MiniFly
    Insulation
    3 Season Wookie
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Whoopies
    Images
    im a warm sleeper and i have the yeti... two weekends ago i was very uncomfortable in it the temps were hovering in the 45 - 60 range... it was truly miserable. i love the yeti and i can attest to its cold weather effectiveness but the product is certainly not designed for temperatures that warm.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by srestrepo View Post
    im a warm sleeper and i have the yeti... two weekends ago i was very uncomfortable in it the temps were hovering in the 45 - 60 range... it was truly miserable. i love the yeti and i can attest to its cold weather effectiveness but the product is certainly not designed for temperatures that warm.
    Have you tried opening the ends to let it vent? I don't have a Yeti, but I do have a 3 season Te-Wa. The Te-Wa has adjustable ends that will let you loosen them to provide more venting.

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Cat cut
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What about Mac's 5-in-1 IX quilt? Since you can add/take away layers of the IX easily you could do so according to the temps. I don't how it would compare weight wise to down but it is supposed to be pretty light.

Hammock
    Many
    Tarp
    Depends
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Leigh,Speer
    Suspension
    disbelief
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jbryan View Post
    What about Mac's 5-in-1 IX quilt? Since you can add/take away layers of the IX easily you could do so according to the temps. I don't how it would compare weight wise to down but it is supposed to be pretty light.
    I like the IX development, but I think I'd want to hear of more long term use reports on IX underquilts. Sgt Rock said he was freezing with his in the 50's a couple of weeks ago. IX may get there, but I think more testing and tweaking would help before someone committed to it for a thru-hike. I'd like to see a few more successful weekends in the field. Seems like most of them have been back yard or campground tests so far.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    I like the IX development, but I think I'd want to hear of more long term use reports on IX underquilts. Sgt Rock said he was freezing with his in the 50's a couple of weeks ago. IX may get there, but I think more testing and tweaking would help before someone committed to it for a thru-hike. I'd like to see a few more successful weekends in the field. Seems like most of them have been back yard or campground tests so far.
    OK, so I am not the only one! But, I would not say I was freezing in the 50s ( at least not with 2 layers), but I have not been able to take it as low as Mac and some others have been doing. I had some Insultubes added (think they are standard now) , and that is a definite improvement. But I've kind of run out of testing weather for the improvement.

But I'm with you, more testing is needed. And I think there are learning curves involved. It is adequate gap vs loss of seal on the edges, have to get it just right to reach full potential, what ever that might turn out to be.

I highly suspect that, for me to get full potential I'm going to have to have some sort of one layer dif shell at least under my torso, nylon shell tight against my back. With a wider layer or layers of IX sewn to it, sort of like TeeDee did. But we will see, I'll keep playing with it. So far, my butt and legs have usually been much warmer than my back! And I can't help but notice that the quilt is looser lower down than it is under my back. So I can't help but wonder if this is related to the gap issue.

But I feel it is quite useful if I never reach the temps others have. What the heck, mine only weighs ~4 oz with one full length layer, IXtubes and suspension! That is virtually nothing. If it turns out I can only get to the low 60s with one layer, I think it is still well worth it. But time will tell, as user reports come in. From people further north and/or at higher elevations. It is supposed to be 90 here tomorrow.

I hate that I have run out of cold! Because yesterday, I took my second layer and sewed it loosely to the single layer of 2.5 oz Climashield in my torso WB UQ! Now that has some potential! I think it felt warmer, but it was the CS alone was already more than warm enough in yesterdays temps (low 60s). Another great combo was this ~9.5 oz WB torso UQ and one layer full length IX. I think that was at low 50s ( I'd have to look it up). I was just warm enough up top without the IX, but my legs got cold. With the IX my legs were fine with no pad, which I prefer. Plus my back got a little more toasty. Good combo.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The Yeti doesn't have adjustable ends, but you can slide it down lower to create an air gap.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    The Yeti doesn't have adjustable ends, but you can slide it down lower to create an air gap.
    Hum interesting I never knew this about the yeti....So jeff...Their is just one continious loop of shock cord that runs through the suspension system which is not adjustable. SO the yeti always has the same sag when hanging from the hammock? This made me go HUM....

And OP I know you were inqueireing about an UQ but have you considered a 1/4 ccf pad of some sorts? Much cheaper then an UQ. Just for some reference I used Stormcrows winter UQ a few weekends ago and when it hit 35 I stated to get uncomfortabley warm even when drafting it to let some air in. But also consider if you do use your winter YETI then depending on how you sleep you may only need a very light fleece blanket on top. And lastly take Cranky Bears advice and contact a vendor. They are all very willing and happy to share their information and help guide you in purcahsing a product. Good luck and please share your results.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast