Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

my first diy hammock is done - help

So, I just finished my first diy hammock and need some help. I used a sewn channel to gather the ends like in this video:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205

The problem is that the edges of the hammock hang very, very loose when the hammock is strung up. I would like the edges to be tighter so that the kids don't fall out as easy. I know that this is why Jeff, on his page, pulls the long ends out a bit before whipping them. I'm wondering if it's just not possible to use the channel end and still have tight sides. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    I personally like my edges a little floppy.

On some hammocks, I'll sew the end channel with a slight arc so that the edges are approx 1-1.5 inch shorter than the middle. You could just gather & attach suspension to see how much shorter you need, then resew the end channels? Maybe others will have a better solution.

I would do as papa suggests. get out our seam ripper and tear out the stitching. Instead of an arc which can be a pain to cut you can divide the fabric into three equal widths along the head and foot ends. from the two points that define those three sections cut a straight line to about 1.5-2" in from the end. (makes a long skinny triangle. then make your channel. I did this on a few hammocks where the person wanted a tighter edge.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Have you had the kids in the hammock? I just can't picture a kid being able to fall out of the hammock if it is strung properly. Now in the interest of full disclosure... It's been over a decade since I had any little kids that I'd need to worry about that and so my memory may be faulty. In addition I wasn't using a hammock when my kids were little. If the hammock becomes a play fort or something like that I might be able to see it. But for sleeping I just can't picture it. In any event.. I kind of like floppy sides to my top loader.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by OrionFyre View Post
    I would do as papa suggests. get out our seam ripper and tear out the stitching. Instead of an arc which can be a pain to cut you can divide the fabric into three equal widths along the head and foot ends. from the two points that define those three sections cut a straight line to about 1.5-2" in from the end. (makes a long skinny triangle. then make your channel. I did this on a few hammocks where the person wanted a tighter edge.
    This was a great idea. Basically, I just ripped out the stitching of about 3" of each end and folded it down more, so that the channel curves in at the ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Have you had the kids in the hammock? I just can't picture a kid being able to fall out of the hammock if it is strung properly. Now in the interest of full disclosure... It's been over a decade since I had any little kids that I'd need to worry about that and so my memory may be faulty. In addition I wasn't using a hammock when my kids were little. If the hammock becomes a play fort or something like that I might be able to see it. But for sleeping I just can't picture it. In any event.. I kind of like floppy sides to my top loader.
    Actually, my two year old fell out trying to climb in it and when she did get in it was harder to spread the hammock out beneath her so the hammock had sides. When the sides are a bit tighter, as they are now, it's like an envelope; you just get over the side and "fall down" into the center of the hammock. I think I'll like the sides on my hammock loose, too, but I think this way is good for the kids. The tight top seams act almost like an integral ridgeline. Plus, I'm thinking that if I sew some ties along the top I'll be able to almost make a cocoon and not have to worry about bug netting for them.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Glad you had success making the edges tighter. You still need to be very careful with little children. They'll find a way to fall out of anything.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Quote Originally Posted by bigwig View Post
    Plus, I'm thinking that if I sew some ties along the top I'll be able to almost make a cocoon and not have to worry about bug netting for them.
    Sew the bottom 2/3 shut and just slip the kids in through the head end. Maybe put a zipper on the top 1/3 with no pull on the inside. Zip 'em up and pass the beer.

I crack me up.

Boris

p.s. really... the more I think about this, the harder I'm laughing. Wife and oldest daughter are in the other room talking about medicating me now.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwig View Post
    Actually, my two year old fell out trying to climb in it and when she did get in it was harder to spread the hammock out beneath her so the hammock had sides. When the sides are a bit tighter, as they are now, it's like an envelope; you just get over the side and "fall down" into the center of the hammock. I think I'll like the sides on my hammock loose, too, but I think this way is good for the kids. The tight top seams act almost like an integral ridgeline. Plus, I'm thinking that if I sew some ties along the top I'll be able to almost make a cocoon and not have to worry about bug netting for them.
    thanks for that... as I said it's been ages since I have had a curtain climber in the house. I'm also well past the yard ape stage. Some memories just don't make it past the trauma.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by Boris Losdindawoods View Post
    Sew the bottom 2/3 shut and just slip the kids in through the head end. Maybe put a zipper on the top 1/3 with no pull on the inside. Zip 'em up and pass the beer.

I crack me up.

Boris

p.s. really... the more I think about this, the harder I'm laughing. Wife and oldest daughter are in the other room talking about medicating me now.
    Great idea. Maybe I'll just make the hammock out of silnylon so they don't get wet and use a waterproof zipper. I'll let you know tomorrow if it works.

Ok, maybe I took it a bit too far. I am just kidding.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast