Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skar578 View Post
    gortex is waterproof and breathable, so it is the ultimate in hammocks and tarps, right? that would cut down the need for an underquilt or anything else.
    my understanding of gortex is that it requires enough heat to transfer the water through the membrane in vapor form.
    inside a smaller, enclosed area like inside a jacket or pants, that has a good chance of happening.

but in a larger, cooler area like a tent (or tarp) the water cools to much & forms as condensation on the inside.

also, i think the humidity may play a part in how that works too. seems that i've herd that people in dryer climates get better results w/ one layer, waterproof breathable tents.

might allow water to transfer to the outside of a hammock where the person is in contact though. certainly worth experimenting with.
    just my thoughts... no expert here<g>
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    What about Versatec as your all around material? it is light weight and breathable for the body, but specially designed to be water and wind resistant. but how does that work? a breathable wind resistant material?

anyway a link:
    http://www.questoutfitters.com/uncoa....htm#VERSATECH
    water & wind resistant are good qualities for hammock material in cold weather, but 2.8 is a little heaver than what a lot of folks shoot for.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

ah, i overlooked that.

I am just kinda annoyed that everywhere I looked (online) they sell the coated and uncoated ripstop nylons sure, but rarely in the same color (save black, white and sometimes silver). I kind of want to but it uncoated and coat it myself to get the same color.

is 1.3 oz good enough or still on the light side (for a hammock body)? I know people got away w/ 1.1, but I want to be a little safer.

Images
    the 1.3 you speak of is the silnylon. much stronger than even the 1.9 uncoated. way strong, but it is not breathable just so you know. 1.9 is your best bet for breathable hammock body, 1.3 sil is the best for a non-breathable/waterproof fabric.

ah, i overlooked that.

I am just kinda annoyed that everywhere I looked (online) they sell the coated and uncoated ripstop nylons sure, but rarely in the same color (save black, white and sometimes silver). I kind of want to but it uncoated and coat it myself to get the same color.

is 1.3 oz good enough or still on the light side (for a hammock body)? I know people got away w/ 1.1, but I want to be a little safer.

ah allright. does anyone know where I can find more matching colors between breathable and waterproof?

and what does Wal-Mart usually have in terms of ripstop? coated, uncoated

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    skar578,

Goretex might work for a hammock but it's much heavier than you need. I haven't seen any strength tests on it, either. But personally, I don't think there's any advantage to using Goretex over standard DWR. You have a tarp to keep you dry from rain, and if the rain gets inside the Goretex hammock it'll puddle up rather than drain through...not what you want. And DWR can protect you well enough from ground splash, as will a bigger tarp.

When speaking of fabric weights, be sure to find out if the weight is listed before or after application. For example, 1.1 oz DWR generally means the fabric weighs 1.1 oz per square yard BEFORE the treatment is applied. Silnylon is the same thing...after the treatment it weighs about 1.3 oz. That means 1.3 oz silnylon the same as 1.1 oz, but you'll see it listed both ways. If in doubt, call the supplier...most of them are friendly and anxious to answer customer questions.

So can you use 1.1 oz for a hammock? Sure, especially if you're a lightweight. I'm pushing 200 and the 1.1 oz I used stretched so much it cupped my shoulders and was uncomfortable...but all 1.1 oz doesn't stretch that way. I think someone around 160 could get away with using standard 1.1 oz DWR as long as they were careful...no elbows poking into the fabric, inspect for damage and fraying, etc. Hennessy even uses some 1.1 oz fabric but it isn't the stuff you find in Walmart. I have 1.1 oz on my son's Warbonnet and a couple of homemade ones.

Walmart's fabric departments are hit and miss....mostly miss. But if you keep at it enough you'll eventually find something useful. Just don't count on the Walmart ladies helping you...as nice as they are, about 1% have ever heard of silnylon and know that it's waterproof. I've found untreated ripstop, DWR and sil-impregnated and urethane coated, nylon and polyester. Just grab what looks good...most of it will work fine. It's only $1/yd so it won't break the bank if you get the wrong stuff. (But we'll probably make fun of you here for a day or so...b/c we've all done it, too )
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

ok, thanks, I will pay Wal-Mart a visit soon

it is just all the fabric sited you listed on your site, the coated and uncoated are usually different colors, and it annoys me a bit. have any recommendation for other stores?

Images
    between owf and quest you should be able to find 1.9 and sil both in silver/grey, spruce/green, navy, and maybe some brighter more annoying colors, but you may have to buy the breathable @ one place and the sil @ another. picking 2 colors that kinda go together may be an option too. for instance, orange and yellow (not for me) also, grey sil goes with anything.

ok, thanks, I will pay Wal-Mart a visit soon

it is just all the fabric sited you listed on your site, the coated and uncoated are usually different colors, and it annoys me a bit. have any recommendation for other stores?

alright, i will check Wal first, cause If i can get 1 real cheep, I can get the other online and it should look ok.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12