Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Images

suggestions for a Rookie

So I am going on a AT trip for 3 days in a week. I am taking my ENO double nest a closed cell foam pad. Slumberjack 20* bag and a sil-tarp. Any suggestions for the rookie. (temps at night are supposed to be in the 50s)

Thanks

What are you looking/asking for?
    I mean this in the nicest way as your post doesn't really mention much!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Have fun! That's about all I can add! Might want a bug net ... depends on where ya might be going ...

JUST HAVE FUN and post pictures and a trip report so we can join it after the fact

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Quote Originally Posted by sizemj View Post
    So I am going on a AT trip for 3 days in a week. I am taking my ENO double nest a closed cell foam pad. Slumberjack 20* bag and a sil-tarp. Any suggestions for the rookie. (temps at night are supposed to be in the 50s)

Thanks
    Number 1 mistake is always the same thing: underestimate the potential disaster of Cold Butt Syndome. Plan for an overnight low of 30 degrees and you'll have a lot more fun. If nothing else, you can buy a 5' piece of fleece from the fabric store and tie it up as an underquilt. Shivering all night is a lot worse than carrying an extra pound all day.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Images
    Thanks for the reply's. I guess I should have made it more clear: Is this enough to stay warm? Thanks again

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Thanks for the reply's. I guess I should have made it more clear: Is this enough to stay warm? Thanks again
    Would be for me ... but YMMV (your mileage may vary)

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    JRB Bridge and WBBB 1.0 DBL
    Tarp
    Mamajamba SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Gossamer Gear 1/4"
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings!
    With a low of 50 I would be warm with that setup.
    Bleemus

Yes, I sleep in a hammock. Please pass the Grey Poupon.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Being a rookie, practice your set up at home or nearby park or woods. Set up everything, play in it, take it down. Move to different locations, practice again, and again. A few hours close to home will have you more confident on the trail.

Practice different tarp configurations as well. Set the tarp hi, low, sides pulled tight for nasty weather.

Working out the bugs close to home allows you the opportunity to tweak your system for you. While most set ups are similar, we don't do it all the same. Practice what works for you, and your gear, prior to going back in the woods 5 miles and realizing things aren't right. Or something is missing.

As far as insulation goes, pad and bag, you look well prepared for the temps stated. I would suggest to add a warm stocking cap or balaclava to the pack. Warm head and neck = warm body. Make sure you have enough extra layers of clothing, in case temps drop or wind is howling.

Practice with all your gear, hammock, tarp, bag, and pad. Its not always as easy as the videos make it out to be. If possible practice sleeping in your rig for a few nights at home, outdoors, if possible.

Make sure your tarp is up to snuff, too. Check it for waterproofness, either in the rain or under a sprinkler/hose in the backyard. Finding out your tarp leaks at night would make for a bad, wet trip. Make sure to seam seal your tarp, if you haven't already.

Practice setting up in bad weather, also. Your tarp can be an ugly beast on a windy day. Don't just practice on the good days.

Lastly, pack a decent groundcloth. If things don't work out, you can set up on the ground and lay under your tarp.

Good luck.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

I'm guessing the Slumberjack is a synthetic bag? If so It should give you some insulation on your backside, not much, but more than a down bag would! With the pad combined it's very possible, the only suggestion I would feel comfortable giving you is go out and hang for a couple night's before your trip (car camp) and see how it feel's, keep some extra insulation with you (or in the car) as a just in case of "CBS" (cold butt syndrome)!
    Good luck and have fun on your trip!!! Post some pic's when your finished!!

Is this enough to stay warm?
    Probably. It depends on your body. Stay hydrated and eat something before bed and you have a good chance. Wear a sweatshirt and sweatpants to bed and you improve that chance.

Maybe the funniest thing I've ever seen while hiking was a buddy who was an aspiring gram-weenie. He decided that he needed extra insulation for his butt and shoulder blades so he'd taken a pair of thick sweatpants and cut them off as shorts... very, very short shorts. The matching sweatshirt had the sleeves removed and was also cut off about 2" above his belly button. Since he didn't need the sweatshirt insulation on top, he also cut a big V of material out of the chest and ran a shoelace across to hold it on. Usually he wore it under something but when he first put it on and showed it to us I thought I was going to asphyxiate from laughing. I kept waiting for him to bust out a show tune.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast