Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rider View Post
    I have previously converted to Hammocking - a Trek Light Double with a 9X9 "Neo Tarp". Since I wanted to have a no bug option I purchased a Claytor Jungle. (By the way if you can get the Jungle without a tarp and get the Sportsman's Guide Camo it is much better for not much weight).

I talked the wife into trying hammock camping on a BSA family camp this weekend. We were in the Pike National Forest at 8500 feet with low temps in the upper 30's low 40's. The Jungle hammock worked great for warmth (JRB under quilt and a quilt over me). However, the Claytor was not anywhere as comfortable as the Trek Light Double. Need some help.

I hang both the same way Spyderline to cinch buckle to strap wrapped around tree with a carabiner. (I ditched the nylon webbing that comes with the Claytor). The problem with comfort is that the Jungle hammock seems to be under more load in the center of the hammock than at the sides. This creates, almost, a ridge underneath you as I was in the hammock. I think this is a function of the design of the Claytor - which is basically a large rectangle with a 1 1/2 inch channel at the ends. I think this makes it shorter to the suspension line at the sides and longer (with greater load) towards the center. I think other designs avoid this in the whipping process (making the center longer than the sides pre-hanging. (Actually I am probably talking through my butt since I am a newbie - but that is what I have observed). Is this correct? If so what do I need to do differently to get rid of ridge in the bottom of the hammock? Don't say buy a Hennessy etc. I really like to the Claytor and it is already purchased.

I tried double wrapping sypderline and cinching the channel very tight (sort of whipping) - this helped but did not eliminate my problem. Anyone can help? Thanks in advance.

i prefer the stock webbing with my claytor jungle hammock,i also prefer the 12 x 12 camo neo guide gear tarp,heavier yes, but love the extra coverage,worth the extra wieght,i hang my hammock using the multiple figure 8 wrap.i rapidly deploy my tarp using bungee cords at each end neo

Newbi Followup

Neo,

1. Are you using rings or clincher with your webbing? I just removed my webbing per suggestions on here and put in rings.
    2. The "12 x 12 camo neo guide gear tarp" has your name in the middle. I assume you made it. How much "extra weight" of stock Jungle hammock?
    3. Is there a diagram of multiple figure 8 wrap?
    4. Doesn't bungee cords allow the fly (tarp) to flap in rain storm?

Newbie for sure,
    Joseph

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by triker View Post
    Neo,

1. Are you using rings or clincher with your webbing? I just removed my webbing per suggestions on here and put in rings.
    2. The "12 x 12 camo neo guide gear tarp" has your name in the middle. I assume you made it. How much "extra weight" of stock Jungle hammock?

Newbie for sure,
    Joseph
    This is the tarp he is talking about. We call it a "Neo" tarp cause he kinda made them famous around here.www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247
    Most use the 9x9. Plenty of coverage.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by triker View Post
    Neo,

Newbie for sure,
    Joseph
    Check out my gallery for some pictures of how I modified the suspension of my Claytor. Mine requires some sag when you set it up to be comfortable, so unlike some other brands you do not string it tightly. It's a great hammock, but takes a little practice to get the hang right.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Posted by triker
    Neo,

Newbie for sure,
    Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by smithobx View Post
    Check out my gallery for some pictures of how I modified the suspension of my Claytor. Mine requires some sag when you set it up to be comfortable, so unlike some other brands you do not string it tightly. It's a great hammock, but takes a little practice to get the hang right.

yep,practice makes perfect,the only disapointing thing about claytor products is the tarp,in a driving rain i got rain on the sides and one end of my hammock,my son hank had the same problem with his 9x9 neo camo guide gear tarp,thats why i prefer the 12 x 12 tarp,the jungle is 10 ft long almost
    plus i hang low for comfort,the 12 x 12 tarp has never failed me neo

Images
    In preparing for my upcoming trip I've completed my backyard test on the Clark and now I'm working on the Claytor. I don't have time to order replacement rope, ring buckles, etc for the original webbing so I'll have to use it in its original configuration (I checked with local EMS store but they don't carry the ring buckles and the only static rope they had was 5/8 and just 20 feet of it.)

From reading this forum and examining my claytor, it looks like the channels need to be separated a bit for the hammock to hang properly. I presently have the hammock tied to 4x4 post, so there isn't much separation.

In the woods, if larger diameter trees are not available, would it make sense to tie each end of the strap to separate trees to spread them out? Theoretically I could spread the straps to the width of hammock. Has anyone tried this? would it turn the hammock into a bridge hammock?

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Check Home Depot for the rings nogods. I've found welded steel 1" rings at my local HD. You can use the webbing from the ratchet sets they sell. I see you are from NY, but if you give us enough time we will teach you the ways of "redneck engineering".

I've tied around trees as small in diameter as a small coffee can and I weigh 215ish. I think you'll be fine tied into most trees unless they are just plain tiny.

Images
    Thanks cannibal - I asked at the home depot and Lowes about rings but no one seemed to know what i was talking about. what section do you think they are in?

As for the diamneter of the trees I was asking in relation to the space between the channels.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Look in the rope/chain area. I think that's where I found them. You should also be able to find some of the figure 9 thingymabobs for your tarp while you're there.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    i prefer the stock webbing with my claytor jungle hammock,i also prefer the 12 x 12 camo neo guide gear tarp,heavier yes, but love the extra coverage,worth the extra wieght,i hang my hammock using the multiple figure 8 wrap.i rapidly deploy my tarp using bungee cords at each end neo
    about a month ago i converted to the ring buckle system and made spreader bars from camo alumnum arrow shafts neo

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...php?i=1710&c=4

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...php?i=1711&c=4

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast