BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    From what it sounds like;
    I think as previously said you need to get the sag right and find tree's that aren't so close together! With your head to the right your left scapula would be almost in the middle of the hammock so to go off the previously noted without proper sag for "you" this causes tension through the center of the hammock (will have some even if the sag it set right) due to the way that the Eno's (and other's like it) are made, have you tried laying the opposite way? If not give it a try! If you still get the same feeling then it's they way the hammock is made that is causing the problem, setting the sag might alleviate this, and it might not!? The way your body is built the center tension that is on the fabric could be the cause by adding a pressure spot to the scapula area! If none of this works try a different hammock if you are able too, that has a different whipping!

Hope you get it worked out!!
    If dinking w/ the sag doesn't fix it, I'll probably try laying the other way in it - at the risk of being ridiculed by the hammock fashionistas.

Hammock
    ENO doublenest
    Tarp
    CCS Tundra Tarp
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings AHE
    Try starting out with the ridgeline at 100 inches. I have the same hammock and it is fine at 100".

Hammock
    Black Bird
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Rings/straps
    Images
    I think the bigger you are the harder it is to find the sweet spot. Sometimes it just takes tightening or loosening the suspension an inch or 2 and it will make all the difference in the comfort. And to make it more complicated each hammock is different. I like a lot of sag in my ENO, 30 degrees in my Blackbird I had to tighten my ridgeline a little, and I sleep best in a Switchback with it pulled tight.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage Voyageur View Post
    Try starting out with the ridgeline at 100 inches. I have the same hammock and it is fine at 100".
    Yeah - I'm thinking a bit less sag that where I had it might be a good thing. Will play w/ it a bit more tonight.

Too bad my job won't let me hang around at home and play w/ hammock hang all day. :-p

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hogg Tyed View Post
    I think the bigger you are the harder it is to find the sweet spot. Sometimes it just takes tightening or loosening the suspension an inch or 2 and it will make all the difference in the comfort. And to make it more complicated each hammock is different. I like a lot of sag in my ENO, 30 degrees in my Blackbird I had to tighten my ridgeline a little, and I sleep best in a Switchback with it pulled tight.
    Heh - to complicate things, my shoulders and upper back are on the large side (lots of traditional archery). Oh well, if it were easy, what fun would it be? However, once I get the sag just right, you can be sure I'll be marking the right length on my ridgeline.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GingivitisKahn View Post
    Think I'm stringing it with a fair bit of sag (too much maybe?). I have an improvised ridgeline on it at the moment. Tying that right on the stock suspension (where it exits the top of the hammock), I measure that to be just a bit over 97 inches. Think that's on the short side of the right ballpark but I could certainly be wrong about that.
    I thought my RL comfort was around 95" at first... then I started playing with it (which is how the adjustable RL was born) and now I believe Ive settled at around 101-103 in a WB traveler. I found that at 95" there was to much tension on my feet and head and not enough support for my mid section.

Even a half inch difference on the RL can make all the difference in the world.... Keep tinkering.... Also, try changing which way you lay in your hammock...i.e. which side your head and feet are on.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    I thought my RL comfort was around 95" at first... then I started playing with it (which is how the adjustable RL was born) and now I believe Ive settled at around 101-103 in a WB traveler. I found that at 95" there was to much tension on my feet and head and not enough support for my mid section.

Even a half inch difference on the RL can make all the difference in the world.... Keep tinkering.... Also, try changing which way you lay in your hammock...i.e. which side your head and feet are on.
    Will do - I'm already thinking I had it too saggy. That should be easy enough to fix.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    And there's nobody here that'll laugh at you.

We'll be thinking that we aren't doing it right after all these nights

hahahahaha
    It does take a bit more tinkering to sleep in the clouds like GODS....
    Keep workin at it. Seems to be getting ckloser for you to be comfie
    Tom

Boris: Honey? Is the scapula part of your butt?
    Wife(nurse): It's your shoulder blade, dummy.

The hammock forums legend (according to Knotty, I believe) is that a nominal ridgeline is 83% of hammock length. That's 10" for every foot of hammock. So, 100" would be correct for a 10' hammock like the Blackbird. If your hammock is really only 9' long, then you would theoretically start with a 90" ridgeline and play with it from there. With that in mind, your current ridgeline may actually have too little sag for you to really get diagonal! Short people can get away with a much tighter hammock because it's easier for them to get diagonal.

The factory suspension on a doublenest pulls the edges of the hammock tighter than the center. Since the edges on any gathered end hammock are already pulled tigher because they're spread out, the additional edge pull from the suspension sometimes makes them really uncomfortable for me. If you change your whipping on the end to a warbonnet whip, it will relax the edges of the hammock slightly and make it easier to get diagonal which should be flatter. Headchange4u did a great tutorial on how to do that whipping as part of his quest to add a ridgeline to his blackbird.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...2300#post42300

Boris

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TOB9595 View Post
    And there's nobody here that'll laugh at you.

We'll be thinking that we aren't doing it right after all these nights

hahahahaha
    It does take a bit more tinkering to sleep in the clouds like GODS....
    Keep workin at it. Seems to be getting ckloser for you to be comfie
    Tom
    What I lack in skill, I make up with persistence (my wife calls it stubbornness but what does she know? :-p ).

Quote Originally Posted by Boris Losdindawoods View Post
    Boris: Honey? Is the scapula part of your butt?
    Wife(nurse): It's your shoulder blade, dummy.
    Lol - ok that literally had me laughing out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris Losdindawoods View Post
    The hammock forums legend (according to Knotty, I believe) is that a nominal ridgeline is 83% of hammock length. That's 10" for every foot of hammock. So, 100" would be correct for a 10' hammock like the Blackbird. If your hammock is really only 9' long, then you would theoretically start with a 90" ridgeline and play with it from there. With that in mind, your current ridgeline may actually have too little sag for you to really get diagonal! Short people can get away with a much tighter hammock because it's easier for them to get diagonal.

The factory suspension on a doublenest pulls the edges of the hammock tighter than the center. Since the edges on any gathered end hammock are already pulled tigher because they're spread out, the additional edge pull from the suspension sometimes makes them really uncomfortable for me. If you change your whipping on the end to a warbonnet whip, it will relax the edges of the hammock slightly and make it easier to get diagonal which should be flatter. Headchange4u did a great tutorial on how to do that whipping as part of his quest to add a ridgeline to his blackbird.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...2300#post42300

Boris
    I was measuring from edge to edge from the foot to the head and I'm pretty sure 9' is the correct answer, give or take. If the sag / lay orientation adjustments don't work out then re-whipping might be next on the list. Thanks for the link!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast