Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Women hammocking

I talked my wife into joining me hanging at a BSA family camp this weekend. She got my Trek Light Double and I tried my brand new Claytor Jungle. It was in the Pike National Forest at 8500 feet with lows in the upper 30's. I went light with a JRB under and over quilt (very warm, but more about that elsewhere).

My wife (in classic car camper traditon) went with a BA down air mat and a big bulky (warm) fleece camp bag. She was as warm as toast and mostly comfortable.

However (you knew it was coming), she said she had a difficult time getting completely comfortable. She said her knees hurt (lack of support I think) and that the with the foot end slightly high, the head end slightly high, and level she could'nt stop the sliding feeling. She attributed it to her woman's lower (different) center of gravity.

I don't have much experience in hammocks, but is there anyone out there who can help me get her more comfortable (Ladies?). I am taking my sons to another BSA campout next weekend and she said she would try again in the back yard. I have a high interest in making her comfortable since if she is in a tent I might be too (the horror and the pain!)

Help?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rider; 09-02-2007 at 19:46. Reason: Adding Pictures

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Hang that Treklite with as much sag as possible. That will allow her to get as diagonal as possible, and thus giving a flatter laying position. JMO
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    there's another approach, all though most people seem to like more sag to get the diagonal like angrysparrow said.
    i use an insulated air mat too & i usually hang my hammock pretty tight. but i l only partly inflate the air mat, allowing it to conform to my body (sleeping on back or side).
    w/ the tighter hammock & soft air mat, i get a fairly level lay.
    i also use a pillow of some kind (clothes in a stuff sack) between my knees on my side, or beneath my knees on my back.
    and a neck pillow for... well, my neck<g>.
    as for the sliding, raising the foot end higher on the tree a few more inches should cure that.
    hope it goes well. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I seem to be the only person who doesn't like having my feet higher than my head in the hammock. My HH Scout was set up for me by a couple of experienced hammock hangers, and I verified that it was hung according to the current standards with the foot end just a bit higher than the head. All weekend I felt that my feet were uncomfortably higher than my head. Obviously not uncomfortable enough to actually do anything about it . Maybe us females need a different technique because of our different center of gravity? I look forward to the next hang-out to try some things, including the fact that I now own 2 more hammocks that I've not even hung yet.

I'm taking the week before the hangout off since I'll be between jobs. I may get some sewing projects done, including maybe a bug net for the double treklight and maybe a diy hammock... we'll see. I have the fabric but not the bug netting...
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    I look forward to the next hang-out to try some things, including the fact that I now own 2 more hammocks that I've not even hung yet.
    Why do you have to wait till a hangout to try haning options with your hammocks? Tinkering with my hammocks and trying different things is half the fun of being a member of this forum, IMO.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    simply put...a mans center of balance is in his chest..a womans is in her hips....a womans hips can cause her to feel as if her head and her feet are both going down hill...i suggest a HH asym...set it really tight dead level...have her get in and relax...if she feels too up/down hill adjust...find the set that makes her feel relaxed and comfortable. ... you may need to add a pad under her back only to level her up....when ever you find the set she likes..take some really good notes..pics if ya need to..so you can do it again on the trail...

Hammock
    HH ULBA, but can't wait to try more
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Images
    Can't help with your specific hammock, but I use a HH ULBA, and often sleep with my feet propped up (or over) a stuff sack that contains my extra clothing. This may help her knee issues (I'm assuming here her knees were achy because they felt like they were bending "backwards" due to no support?).

As you know, the HH has a set ridgeline, so you don't have to mess with getting the "right" sag everytime, but I will say that I have to hang my foot end slightly higher (as in 6 inches higher up the tree compared to the head end) or I start sliding towards the opening. I've gotten the foot end too high a few times and felt like an astronaut in training...great head rush and all, but not much for sleeping.

Tell your wife (from one woman to another) DON'T give up. Once she finds her set-up, she'll never regret having had a few nites of uncomforable (Yet I'd bet STILL more comfortable than a tent) sleep. Good luck!
    This is my signature.

Tell your wife (from one woman to another) DON'T give up. Once she finds her set-up, she'll never regret having had a few nites of uncomfortable (Yet I'd bet STILL more comfortable than a tent) sleep. Good luck!
    Well, hammocks aren't going to work for everyone. Also, I don't like my feet higher than my head either. In fact, I'd rather remain flat or in the fetal position.

I've been making my own hammocks for over a year now, and I still can't get comfortable. My next try will be a mod on the new Bridge Hammock with a lower spreader bar.

Banana hammocks don't allow me to lay flat, I get weird torque when on my side, and they just don't accommodate my linebacker shoulders. To date I have never had a good night's sleep in a hammock.

After a year this is getting frustrating. I'm happy I made my own hammocks cause I'd be out of about a $1,000 with a bunch of gear that isn't comfortable. At least on the ground I can sleep.
    Last edited by funbun; 09-02-2007 at 21:26.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    funbun... i saw a post by you the other day & wondered how that was going.
    did you say if you had tried a thicker air mat (like the exped or BA) or not?
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

No, I haven't tried it yet. Funds are low, atm. I definitely plan to try the BA insulated airmat. That piece of gear should do me fine weather I sleep in the air or on the ground. But I've got to pay for my car tag and taxes first.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast