Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    I have a snugfit and love it. Yes, it's heavy, yes, it's quite bulky and yes, it is the heaviest thing in my pack. But in my opinion, it's worth the weight.

I have never slept as well in the bush as I do when using this quilt. Very simple to set up, no cold spots.
    I have spent many hours trying to perfect the fit of my other underquilt, and never quite got it.

How does it adapt to other hammocks. I have a HH Explorer Delux.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Grass skirt
    My girlfriend has used the snugfit on a HH Explorer ultralight and it was fine.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    The universal model, according to Ed Speer, should fit any non-spreader bar hammock. I have never seen a camping hammock that uses a spreader bar besides the Bridge hammock. I have used mine on my HH ULBA and my HH clone and it fits like a glove.

BTW,

I am in the process of writing up a comparison of JRB quilts and the SnugFit. I have a chart made and I am in the middle of the write up portion. I will post it as an article in a few days.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Keep us posted on how the ordering process runs, etc.
    The ordering process went smoothly. I sent an email to Speer requesting a PayPal invoice for the items, and I got a reply from them within a few hours. Once the funds were sent, I got an 'order appreciation' email and a shipment notice right away. All in all, very responsive service.

I received the items on Monday (I went ahead and got both a Snugfit Underquilt and one of their Top Quilts), but I didn't have time to really tinker with inspecting/adjusting until last night. But now that I have..WOW..these are very well made quilts. I can't find any flaws in the stitching anywhere. I even like the very muted dark green and gray fabric colors that Speer uses. The quilts each came with a stuffsack and a bag for long-term uncompressed storage. Also, the underquilt had all the necessary hanging hardware. The adjustment for the underquilt was easy and it only had to be done once per hammock.

The packing size of the quilts is very small (as per my orignal question). As a matter of fact, I actually think that with some compression straps the underquilt could be gotten down to half the size shown in HC4U's pic above. But, since I've found that I can pack both the underquilt and topquilt in the stuffsack for the underquilt, it's a non-issue.

I did some quick testing in the back yard with the quilts(after removing the 'this product contains down and should only be removed by the consumer' tags), placing them on an ENO, a Speer-type, and a HH. They fit and work well with each of the hammocks. There is a small amount of length-adjustment needed for the underquilt suspension when switching between the top-loaders and the HH, but it is but a moment's work. Upon getting into the hammocks, it only takes a moment to notice...these things are WARM! They are too warm for the current weather here, really, but it's pretty easy to adjust so that there is some venting from the underquilt.

If I had to nitpick something, it would be the Speer logo tags. They are bright yellow. Normally, I don't mind leaving the manufacturer's branding tags on things, but those yellow tags were just too much IMO. Luckily, they were attached with a very loose stitch of single thread, so it only took a few minutes to remove the logo tags from all the items with a stitch cutter. An easy fix.

All in all so far, I couldn't be much more pleased with the quilts. They are really well made, are easy to use and adjust, look great, and are going to serve their purpose well. Now if the hot weather would just break!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post

All in all so far, I couldn't be much more pleased with the quilts. They are really well made, are easy to use and adjust, look great, and are going to serve their purpose well. Now if the hot weather would just break!
    Thanks for the update. I wish I could just go ahead and win the darn lottery already!

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    that's good to hear. i know when i used a snugfit for two nights at trail days, i was toasty.
    i would have gone into lower temps & stayed warm.
    i think it got down to about mid 30s.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Thanks Angrysparrow, now I've got drool down the front of a $80 business shirt! I'm gonna have to go get a paper route.

Seriously, thanks for the info. I've really been toying with this decision; it's a lot of money to be wrong about it. Just one more reason I love this site; I get honest reviews from people who actually know what the heck they're talking about.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    ............. Now if the hot weather would just break!
    Hi 40's for your region this Sunday/Monday, AS? Maybe you at least won't burst into flame in that thing! Boy, that is a luxury way to go. Massive envy being generated just to the south of you(by me)!
    Bill

I've been looking at the Snugfit also and really appreciate the info. I would probably have gone with a JRB but I just can't get over the Kelly Green color. I like to stealth camp and I'm afraid the JRB would be a beacon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast