Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You're grounded. (Pun?)
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Quote Originally Posted by Supertramp View Post
    well i may get Ewkrified for this but myself i have opted for now that when i take my kids out we bring the light tents.for now my goal is to get them hooked on the outdoors and don't worry- the hammocks will come, but at least with my little fellas and for their mothers sake we go to the ground (for now) -just sayin it's ok thats all
    I hear you. My kids have been backpacking all their lives and they love it. All of them did an overnighter by the time they were a month old. The problem is that we just moved to Pennsylvania. The state forest right next to us, at least, is very, very rocky. I don't mean little rocks; I mean the ground is covered with rocks about a foot in diameter. If you look long and hard you can find a place to pitch a tent but it's just often not comfortable and those places are usually close to cabins (why does this state have private cabins covering gov't land?) or the roads. To get out of site of roads and cabins you're often on ridges or steeper ground. What PA does have, though, is a lot of trees - thus my leaning toward hammock camping and trying to make it work.

Along those lines, I'm also looking at getting in to tree climbing (ropes, harnesses, zip lines, etc). We did a lot of rock climbing in Utah but there aren't any really good places very close for that.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I backpack and camp with my son and we set-up our hammocks together under one tarp. I use three trees so that the head end of both hammocks share one tree and the foot ends are separated by a couple feet. I use my Speer Winter Tarp and it gives plenty of coverage for both. I like being close enough to reach over and check on my boy during the night or if he wakes up. Here's a picture of that set-up. My son's hammock is a Hennessy Scout. The blanket on the ground is for ny Bernese Mountain Dog, Annie.

[IMG][/IMG]

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    TBD
    Insulation
    Rab Quantum
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

Find three trees in a triangle formation and then stack 'em bunk-bed style? Would need a BIG tarp though! That's a Speer Winter and it was enough to cover the two in the pic...
    "I know the feeling - It is the real thing - You can't refuse the embrace!" | "Go n-éirí an bóthar leat."

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12