HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Paul's light weight straps ... hands down ... Strapworks are great ... just a whole lot heavier.

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy, syl nylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ&TQ IXUQ&TQ
    Suspension
    1" plypro web & ws
    I bought 1 inch poly webbing from a site mentioned on here. They are located in Sarasota Fl. I put them on the tree and my 275# butt sank to the ground. I tightened them and tried again and same result. I was touching the ground. I went back to my 1 inch nylon tubular climbing webbing.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    I bought 1 inch poly webbing from a site mentioned on here. They are located in Sarasota Fl. I put them on the tree and my 275# butt sank to the ground. I tightened them and tried again and same result. I was touching the ground. I went back to my 1 inch nylon tubular climbing webbing.
    What did you get, and where from? Also what type of suspension are you using (SMC rings, buckles, ?)
    There are a lot of people on here that are as big as you, and some bigger, that are hanging from 1" poly straps for years with no problems!

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy, syl nylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ&TQ IXUQ&TQ
    Suspension
    1" plypro web & ws
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    What did you get, and where from? Also what type of suspension are you using (SMC rings, buckles, ?)
    There are a lot of people on here that are as big as you, and some bigger, that are hanging from 1" poly straps for years with no problems!

I got 1" poly webbing from quest. The medium weight. I also tried to use webbing from a fabric shop. I use rings and tie the slippery half hitch as a back up. The tubular webbing works much better for me. I haven't gotten it wet yet. Maybe tonight. It is my biggest problem though. Even the tubular webbing puts me close to the ground. I can barely get into the hammock with my short legs and end up so close to the ground I can roll out

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Awesome. Thanks you guys. I was definitely leaning towards the polyester but now that I have some good feedback from people who actually use them, my decision is made. Thanks for your replies!
    Note that the straps from Arrowhead Equipment are polypro, not polyest. That's why they are lighter than seatbelt straps.

The purported weak point of polypro is little abrasion resistance, but most tree bark doesn't cause much abrasion. I've noticed no wear on my polypro straps.

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    What kind of poly webbing -- polyest or polypro? The latter has almost no stretch. Nylon can stretch quit a bit, especially when wet (as my tarp reminds me each time it rains).

I got 1" poly webbing from quest. The medium weight. I also tried to use webbing from a fabric shop. I use rings and tie the slippery half hitch as a back up. The tubular webbing works much better for me. I haven't gotten it wet yet. Maybe tonight. It is my biggest problem though. Even the tubular webbing puts me close to the ground. I can barely get into the hammock with my short legs and end up so close to the ground I can roll out
    Something doesn't sound right!
    What you can do is mark the webbing after you get it all set-up, get in the hammock, and after check the mark to see if it has moved, as it might be that the slippery half hitch might not be holding!?
    That or the webbing you have has a lot of stretch to it?
    Also what kind of hammock are you using as the material of the hammock can and will stretch some when new and after a few hangs it will stop as it has stretched out as far as it will go!
    If you find that the hitch is slipping you could tie two half hitches which should bind enough to hold, I found for me that the ring suspension would slide a little after I got into the hammock but would stop after a few inches! Now that I changed to a different set-up I haven't had this problem anymore!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by FarStar View Post
    Note that the straps from Arrowhead Equipment are polypro, not polyest. That's why they are lighter than seatbelt straps.

The purported weak point of polypro is little abrasion resistance, but most tree bark doesn't cause much abrasion. I've noticed no wear on my polypro straps.

Actually I carry both polypro and polyester, both of them lighter than the seat belt webbing I currently have black polypro and black or camo polyester.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Actually I carry both polypro and polyester, both of them lighter than the seat belt webbing I currently have black polypro and black or camo polyester.
    See, there you go, Paul has got what you need!
    Don't you just love him!!!!!!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast