Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    I use polypro, lighter, less stretch, good wear.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    I use polypro, lighter, less stretch, good wear.

Actually polypro has more stretch than polyester, is lighter and will wear faster then polyester. Generally polypro will also be about 1/2 the strenght of a similar weave polyester, and 1-2 gram or so per foot lighter in weight.

Edit: of coarse either polypro or polyester have less stretch than Nylon which may be what Ike meant.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    These days I worry as much about volume as I do weight. How do polypro and polyester compare in terms of volume (thickness of strap)? Is there any real difference?
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    polypro is thicker, yea paul meant nylon =P, polyester is the thinnest.

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy, syl nylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ&TQ IXUQ&TQ
    Suspension
    1" plypro web & ws
    I just had my wife help me check. The straps don't move at the rings. The hammock goes from 113 inches knot to knot, to 115 inches knot to knot. That is only 2 inches max stretch. That doesn't seem excessive. My butt was 12" off the ground. I forgot to measure the webbing from tree to rings. My ridgeline is 97" or 98"and the diagnal lay seems comfortable. I'll try again tonight.
    I slept in it last night in rain. I slept fine til 5:30 when it started to storm. I lay for awhile and the ridge seam started leaking a bit. I resealed that today with silicone thinned with mineral spirits. I brought my tq and came in the house after awhile. The hammock didn't get very wet from the leak.
    Thank all of you for the great amount of info.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    I just had my wife help me check. The straps don't move at the rings. The hammock goes from 113 inches knot to knot, to 115 inches knot to knot. That is only 2 inches max stretch. That doesn't seem excessive. My butt was 12" off the ground. I forgot to measure the webbing from tree to rings. My ridgeline is 97" or 98"and the diagnal lay seems comfortable. I'll try again tonight.
    I slept in it last night in rain. I slept fine til 5:30 when it started to storm. I lay for awhile and the ridge seam started leaking a bit. I resealed that today with silicone thinned with mineral spirits. I brought my tq and came in the house after awhile. The hammock didn't get very wet from the leak.
    Thank all of you for the great amount of info.
    Depending on the strap that sounds about right, wet and damp straps just like silnylon can and will stretch more than dry, but 2" of stretch when wet is actually pretty good! usually once the strap's stretch out that's it for the stretch (most times, all depending what type of strap you have)!

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy, syl nylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ&TQ IXUQ&TQ
    Suspension
    1" plypro web & ws
    I measured today and my straps stretch about 4" on each side. I may just tighten a cpl inches on each side and stretch it a bit before trying to get in. Lots of stuff to play with. I hope to get it dialed well enough to go on a two day overnight backpacking trip next week. I also have the nylon to make another dl hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    I measured today and my straps stretch about 4" on each side. I may just tighten a cpl inches on each side and stretch it a bit before trying to get in. Lots of stuff to play with. I hope to get it dialed well enough to go on a two day overnight backpacking trip next week. I also have the nylon to make another dl hammock.
    With most if not all straps you will have some stretch but just like hammocks once you get the initial stretch out it's good from there! It can take a couple time's for the stretch to work out! One way to get it out is hang using all of the strap (max distance) a couple times and that will get all the strap and hammock!

Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Actually polypro has more stretch than polyester, is lighter and will wear faster then polyester. Generally polypro will also be about 1/2 the strenght of a similar weave polyester, and 1-2 gram or so per foot lighter in weight.

Edit: of coarse either polypro or polyester have less stretch than Nylon which may be what Ike meant.
    I was confused by the frequent use of "poly" in this thread, which does not differentiate between polypro and polyest. I thought my Speer has polypro straps, but a visit to the Speer website informed me they are polyest. A visit to a couple of rope websites informed me that polyest is the best webbing in terms of stretch and abrasion resistance. Polypro is light, but weak and degrades from UV exposure.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Speer Hammocks ( Now at TTTG) and Jacks R Better have been using 1 inch Poly Pro for years for good reasons and with great results...Lightest, of three, low stretch, low absorbncy, adequate strength, reasonable if not lowest cost.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast