Eno single
    Tarp
    poly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    rings straps

Please review my mock Ridgeline set up

Hey guys, trying to figure out the best way to step up a tarp over my new BMBH . Im a noob and have been surfing hammock forums for a while now and this is a mock set up of how i think i want to go.. If you would please let me know some pros and cons to this set up and maybe some alternatives for my hammock
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RollTide View Post
    Hey guys, trying to figure out the best way to step up a tarp over my new BMBH . Im a noob and have been surfing hammock forums for a while now and this is a mock set up of how i think i want to go.. If you would please let me know some pros and cons to this set up and maybe some alternatives for my hammock
    I'm not aferd of knots, but shy away from tieing one end of the ridgeline around the bedpost, errr, I mean tree. My tarp line has a loop at that end with a minibiner on it, and circle of cord prusiked onto the ridgeline. Line around tree, clip the biner onto the prusik. Could not use the biner and use a bit of trail stick instead.

But there's no reason the knot you've used shouldn't work, and uses less stuff. Less is more.

The means of fixing the ridgeline is not affected in any way that I can think of by the style of hammock beneath. Now the tarp you want to be suspending, that depends on the hammock for sure.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I did some testing on my tarp recently, and I found I need at least four wraps on my prussics, for them to hold good. Also, another variation I like is running the ridgeline under the tarp, seemed to support the tarp better, and gave me a clothesline under the tarp.
    At your knotted end, I just use a small carabiner, I permanently tied it to the end of the rope. The minicarabiner has held up well to the elements/strain. Testing was during a rainy, windy weekend, 30-40 mph gusts. I did not have any rainwater follow down the ridgeline.

welcome to the forum.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE prototype hex
    Insulation
    Leighlo hi and low
    Suspension
    strap/ring buckle
    First of all your hammock is outstanding! It even has its own storage pocket with a zipper mod I use Opie's tarp line, which for me is the best ever. Except for the tree knot, it is identical to what you came up with, but I do have toggles. I love my toggles BTW. Anyway, like gargoyle, it withstood high, HIGH winds and torrents of rain. My TL is above my tarp but the set up worked. I'll agree with a biner permanently on the tree end. Just wrap and clip and snooze. I don't do knots so this works great for me. I am curious Grizz why you put a prusik at the tree end for your biner. Do you really need it if the biner wraps around and clips back on the line? Is it a strength or convenience issue? Enlighten me. Oh, and I do have 4 wraps on the prusiks.

Cheering you on, Mary
    The gene pool needs a life guard.

That's a nice set-up, but, I don't think the BMBH will fit in there
    For my tarp I use one of Opie's with a biner on one side and a Fig. 9 on a sliding prussic on the other and have not had a problem yet with it!!!
    I just larksheaded the other sliding prissics to my tarp d-ring's so no s-biner's and the like on mine!

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    That is close to the way that I have my ridgeline set-up. Instead of the not I use a mini-beiner for ease of set-up. Works great and if I want to go under the tarp there is only the two s-beiners to undo. I also recommend the 4 wrap prussik on the ridgeline.
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Eno single
    Tarp
    poly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    rings straps
    Thanks for the input guys,

I only did a two wrap on the prussic because i had some junk sting and cord lying around that wasnt quite long enough to do any more wraps. The way i have it set up in the picture with the s biners is one prussic is shock cord and the other is regular cord. I was wondering if this is a better option than both shock cord or both regular guy cord. I felt like with both shock cord is had alot of play and would move with the breeze alot.. and with regular cord it might sag from trap expansion.. so i guess this is a hybrid.. Thoughts?.. I might go to the care biner option on one end just not sure if i want my rope to have a dedicated knot in one end...I like that i can remove the knot easily by just yanking on the tag end and it undone. I also like the idea of the trap over the line but was wondering is there would be wear on the tarp where it rubs the ridgeline over time.. Thoughts... Again thanks for the input

Hammock
    diy Clark Vertex
    Tarp
    diy silnylon
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    A while ago I know there was a thread discussing the over or under the ridge line (some could probably find the link?). From what I gathered from it, there was not a significant amount of wear along the tarp from the line. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

The half cord half shock cord idea seems logical to me..

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HanginTom View Post
    A while ago I know there was a thread discussing the over or under the ridge line (some could probably find the link?).
    I think this is the thread you are referring to.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

• + New Posts