Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    More power to you
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Losdindawoods View Post
    Weight doesn't matter, but cost does? WOOHOO!!! That's SO easy. Go get a cheap blue tarp from Lowes, 4 yards of cheap fabric for a gathered end hammock (no sewing needed for imrisk test hammock), and some polyester rope. Total cost will be under $40. Maybe $50 if you get expensive rope but you don't want expensive, you just want polyester with a decent strength. You're not humping it over hill and dale so who cares if it's 1/2" diameter and weighs 3 pounds? The same is true of your fabric. You want something that will breath nicely and with low/no stretch. If it weighs 12oz/yard, big deal.

There's also no reason to mess around with webbing tree huggers. Just wrap the rope around the tree about 8 or 10 times, tie it with an inch of slack, and then tie your suspension rope around all of them. Ta-da! Instant protection for the tree and it cost you maybe $2 if your tree is huge. The multiple lines will distribute the weight over as much area as a webbing strap or maybe more depending on how huge your rope is. Alternately you could just ditch the suspension ropes completely and use ratchet straps from Walmart tied to the trees. You never know when it'll be useful to have some ratchet straps hanging around (sorry, couldn't help myself ).

Undercover and top quilt with no concern for weight? WOOL! Grab a couple of wool blankets at army surplus and tie one of them up under the hammock. Since it's wool, you'll still be toasty warm even if it gets damp/wet. If you're cold, tie two under the hammock.

The only other thing is your bug protection. There are plenty of places in Colorado where I wouldn't even bother with bug protection, but AZ may be different. If you need one and can't make one out of mesh from the fabric store, you'll need to buy one from warbonnet or eno. Or invite Cannibal, JustJeff, and the Denver crowd down for a hang. One of them is bound to have an extra bug shield laying around they'd sell cheap. Somebody has to buy Cannibal's stuff anyway before he feeds himself to the polar bears.

The two most important things about all of this?
    1) If there are no pictures, it didn't happen. Post pics! Lost of them.
    2) You MUST weigh all of this stuff. If you don't have a scale take it to the post office and weigh it there. It'll be fun to watch ikemouser fall over twitching when you post your total shelter weight of 19 pounds or so.

Boris
    Why does he have to weigh it?

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    How clean is the water after it is run through the plant filtering system, is it supplemented with other filters as well? This is so amazing, you shuold try to get some press if you want, im sure you could get alot of attention, maybe even donations to help outfit it. Best of all maybe you could encourage others who have the means to do the same.

If i may ask, why did you choose arizona? Is it one of the best locations for wind/solar activity in regards to energy harvesting?

If this frees you from the burden of working in the "real world" i will be in awe of you, and hope to follow your path someday after i put my son through college!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jpslickorocks View Post
    That's what I was hoping for Boris. At least for the hammock portion of the topic. With what I already have laying around the house I think I can get outfitted for less than $50. I just contacted a Realtor about a parcel. 40 acres heavily treed and very remote. I am not going to tell y'all how much until I make the purchase. That way no one can snag it. Fingers crossed for me friends. I am hoping to go look next weekend.
    Very exciting! Your plan sounds so great! I camped at a lake down somewhere near Williams long ago. Can't remember the name.

Any water on the land you are looking at, lakes or streams? Probably not, I guess, mostly dry country. Beautiful, though!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ENO Pronest
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 Zeppelin
    Nah unfortunately, water features double or triple your buying cost. Sometimes even more. The 40 acre heavily treed plot I am looking costs half as much as the barren 20 acre plot on the Little Colorado River near Winslow.

I should be able to harvest all of the water I need from precipitation. Once all of the systems are in place I will fill it with hauled water to get me jump started and utilize the harvested water to maintain supplies.

As far as water treatment goes, I will have two separate filter systems. One strictly for drinking and another for cooking and everything else. Any gray water that is not absorbed will be re-harvested to flush the toilet and re-water the indoor planters.

Toilet water only (at 1 gallon per flush) will go into a small septic tank and leach field outside the house. The leach field will not be allowed to percolate into the ground. It will be in a large contained planter that is specifically planted with species that can handle the nutrient load of the septic leach field.
    It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    This is very interesting...I hope it all works out well for you.

But it's not hammock talk! Guys, please keep future posts hammock related or we'll have to move it to the Donating Members section.

JP, perhaps you'd like to start a thread there to talk about the non-hammock portions of your project. Looks like enough members are interested in it.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ENO Pronest
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 Zeppelin
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    JP, perhaps you'd like to start a thread there to talk about the non-hammock portions of your project. Looks like enough members are interested in it.
    My bad Jeff this did digress from hammock talk. Sorry dude.

As you can imagine I am scrimping every penny so a paid membership is sadly out of the question.

Someone had made a comment about seeing what kind of attention I could get if I continue to detail the endeavor. With that coming possible donations. Would you like to be the first and donate "paid membership status" for me to continue this is the paid member forum?
    It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jpslickorocks View Post
    As you can imagine I am scrimping every penny so a paid membership is sadly out of the question.
    You're already a donating member...
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ENO Pronest
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 Zeppelin
    Really???? Cool!!! I feel silly now... Should I repost this over there or can an admin do that for me?

Quote Originally Posted by Boris Losdindawoods View Post
    ... You MUST weigh all of this stuff. If you don't have a scale take it to the post office and weigh it there. It'll be fun to watch ikemouser fall over twitching when you post your total shelter weight of 19 pounds or so.

Boris

If he goes the shipping container route, his weight will be between 4,000 and 9,000 pounds.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast