Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bear Rider View Post
    If he goes the shipping container route, his weight will be between 4,000 and 9,000 pounds.
    Good point. That means he'll have to make his whoopie slings out of 5/8" amsteel blue to give him a 4:1 safety factor after the 80% derating from the bury. I'm a bit suspicious that a 12" bury might not be enough for that. Might need to check with Opie.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Hammock Bliss No-See-Um model. Lots of room and it will keep the bugs off you.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jpslickorocks View Post
    But strength, warmth and budget are. There is a distinct possibility that I may be living off the land in the next few months. I am probably going to be buying a good sized piece of property this summer in Northern Az. and moving onto it to live semi primitively while I build my Earthship. I am putting together plans for a base camp. What would you do for a hammock.

As this topic gains momentum I will share more of my plans. I look forward to hearing what you all have to say.
    Actually, he started this thread as hammock talk and we all just got side tracked with our answers, out of curiosity about his most excellent adventure!

Are you a DIY kind of guy? Probably so, considering the project you are taking on. How about a big, wide Bridge hammock, double layer? Making it yourself will save some $. Then just put a wide CCF pad in it for insulation. Pads work way better in a bridge. Then, under a big old tarp or whatever, just hang from some of those Williams area trees!

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ENO Pronest
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 Zeppelin
    I am a diy type as a matter of fact. I am thinking about going down to SAS Fabric and picking up 4 or so yards of something really wide, non stretchy and breathable and whipping it up. Anyone ever make a jumbo sized hammock for comfort? Is there a point where it is just a waste? I am thinking like 10'x6' before whipping.
    It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love.

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    this is something i would love to do one day...i was going to buy land and do something along the lines of what you are trying to do.....

but the wife is a city girl....
    she couldn't do it ....now me i'm a country boy... i grow alot of my own veggies now with what little space i have i can,jar and dehyrate i'm putting in a dirt cellar this year....and a greenhouse next spring also hunt for meat ...
    i would love to move off the grid

as for your original ??...i would do what oldgringo said or use shipping containers....since you are getting some anyway
    this way you will have some living space ...and a place to store goods

please keep us posted
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    Ditch the tarp. Day in, day out, you'll get sick of life hunched over under 150 square feet of polywhatever in a big hurry.

You're going to need some sort of outbuilding/shed/barn anyway, so plan for a hammock in there. Rough it in style...lawn chairs, table, big ice chest w/adult beverages...
    You mentioned goats, so they'll need a shed/stalls. I've hung very comfortably in a 3 sided horse stall (sans horse, of course but I did have a table and ice chest w/ adult beverages ) in west Texas. Maybe you could test out your goat shed till your goats need it.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spursfiend View Post
    You mentioned goats, so they'll need a shed/stalls. I've hung very comfortably in a 3 sided horse stall (sans horse, of course but I did have a table and ice chest w/ adult beverages ) in west Texas. Maybe you could test out your goat shed till your goats need it.
    Hey after you get your goats, if you can train 'em to stand still and you hang your hammock just right, then you get a free wool underquilt in the bargain.

Let the record show that the gentleman from Ohio advocates sleeping with goats.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ENO Pronest
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 Zeppelin
    Noted

Now that's funny
    It's just a ride and we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings and money, a choice, right now, between fear and love.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ENO Pronest
    Insulation
    UGQ 20 Zeppelin
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    like the bill hicks quote

Most of his stand up fits exactly in our current social times. We was not just a comedian he was a teacher.

Even though a Comedian takes something serious and makes it funny, they still bring awareness to serious issues.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast