WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles

Groups to hike the AT?

Just curious... Has anyone out there ever formed groups to hike the AT? My son is in scouts, and we're both pondering doing it one day. I suspect we'll have to break it up into sections, so I'm looking for advice...

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I've taken my troop on sections of the AT, but never hiked the entire AT. Sounds like a fun project. If the troop was behind it, it could be a troop goal that may outlast some of its members. Or maybe a goal to do one large section, like Virginia.

I would certainly vote in favor of it instead of summer camp -- spend a week hiking the AT!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator+Burrow
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    It would probably just be my son and I, along with a few others... so it wouldn't be an official troop event.

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I would certainly vote in favor of it instead of summer camp -- spend a week hiking the AT!
    I'm doing both this year.... doing a week of summer camp with my troop and the very day I return home, I'm packing up and doing a week with another troop on the AT.

TinaLouise

It's really fun to watch the thru hikers when there are scouts on the AT. They get really twitchy, they're constantly looking over their shoulders, everybody you see is asking if you know where the scouts are spending the night. It's like there's a plague of locusts coming down the trail.

Images
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

On the one hand, so much for Hike Your Own Hike. Then again, $1000 is pretty cheap to be able to slackpack the entire AT.

Hammock
    none
    Tarp
    none
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris Losdindawoods View Post
    It's really fun to watch the thru hikers when there are scouts on the AT. They get really twitchy, they're constantly looking over their shoulders, everybody you see is asking if you know where the scouts are spending the night. It's like there's a plague of locusts coming down the trail.
    I don't know about them, but my last experience with scouts and their scout masters left me with a bad taste.

Basically, myself and a couple other fellow forum members got to a popular camping destination with group size limits early in the day and secured the favored spot. We'd been there all day and well into night when a scout master came over and informed us that he had 20 or 30 guys coming at which we pointed out the camp size head count limitation and said that we'd be having adult conversations within earshot and it might not be a good idea to have impressionable ears around.

We remarked to ourselves how funny it was for a member of an organization, whose motto is "be prepared", to be totally unprepared. Then we promptly forgot about it.

The next day, one of our group over hears the very same unprepared scout master telling the park ranger that they had gotten to the site first, but we set up in the trees and refused to share the spot which prompted the park ranger to come over and look a the camping permit that we had that the scout master did not.

That and they were noisy as all get out.
    I have heard your confession I know who you blame
    If you had it all back you'd just lose it again
    Can't bank on redemption if you ain't saved
    Don't bring me your tales of temptation and loss
    Don't bring me the pieces of your shattered cross

-- Stuart Adamson

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Off topic but note to scout master---Don't let the boy's mom pack his pack. They don't need an extra pair of jeans and a sweat shirt for July. Explain the benefits of not having a 30 pound pack on a 90 pound boy.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    WB BB DL 1.7oz
    Tarp
    SuperFly/Oware
    Insulation
    KAUQ,WBurrowTQU,PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My son and I are doing the AT a little at a time and keeping logs, section and dates.I will do sections without him and he can decide to make them up later. He's 4yrs so at times I'm carrying him and our packs( his has small water and snacks). Day hikes and one nighters for now. He's got all his life to finish, just taking time, spending time with him, introducing him to Whole outdoors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast