Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images

Question Hot 'n' cold

In my (so far) short stay here, I've notice tons of threads, videos, etc. on how to stay warm down to x* but very little on the topic of warm weather hanging.

Is that because hanging in warm weather is so easy a caveman can do it or because hanging in warm weather is objectionable (too hot, buggy, whatever) or because cold weather hanging is more interesting or what?

... just curious.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Warm weather hanging isn't objectionable at all....even bugs can be tolerated if you have a good net setup.

I think the disparity is because warm weather camping is simpler. You still use the same insulation principles as cold-weather hanging, but you just have to carry much less of it. Often the thinnest UQ will work fine for the cool hours of a summer camp. And for the exceptionally warm nights where you don't need bottom insulation, the uninsulated hammock is often much cooler than laying on a ground pad.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GingivitisKahn View Post
    In my (so far) short stay here, I've notice tons of threads, videos, etc. on how to stay warm down to x* but very little on the topic of warm weather hanging.

Is that because hanging in warm weather is so easy a caveman can do it or because hanging in warm weather is objectionable (too hot, buggy, whatever) or because cold weather hanging is more interesting or what?

... just curious.

That is pretty much it, all of the above! Except maybe that last one, depends on the individual. But, if you can camp during warm weather in a tent or tarp sleeping on the ground, then there won't be much problem switching to a hammock. About the only thing is the cooling effect of a hammock bottom might help you get through a hot night a little easier than in a tent. Still, there are a few threads around on how to stay cool. Fans and such inside a hammock.

OTOH, staying warm in a hammock can be a whole new ball game in a hammock, compared to on the ground. So, lot's of info on that. First, on the ground, 99.9% of us are going to have a pad anyway, for cushioning, even if it is 95*F. So that pad at the same time takes care of most bottom insulation issues. But most of us, in the summer, tend to assume a low forecast down to 65 or 70( maybe even 75) will be no problem, and won't think of needing a pad in a cushy hammock. Then on a 68*F night, especially with wind, we are in for a big surprise! And if it is 60 and windy or wet, we might have one miserable night indeed.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. Winter camping is the most challenging but you can camp /hang all yr.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/Doors
    Insulation
    Yeti or JRB Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    One addition I include in warmer weather is a small AA-battery operated fan with foam blades (I got it at Wally-World). I rigged it up so that it is suspended from the ridgeline and points right at my head. Makes a huge difference when its really warm and clammy out.
    David

The road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with weary feet, Until it joins some larger way, Where many paths and errands meet. And whither then? I cannot say.
    -Frodo Baggins, The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BurningCedar View Post
    One addition I include in warmer weather is a small AA-battery operated fan with foam blades (I got it at Wally-World). I rigged it up so that it is suspended from the ridgeline and points right at my head. Makes a huge difference when its really warm and clammy out.
    I'm not much of a backpacker (in that I did it once about 20 years ago and plan to do it again for a couple of nights in the Smokies this summer) and when I camp, it's *usually* in warmer weather. I'm very likely to do the small fan thing though - I'm guessing that the nylon hammock inside the bug netting will get a bit close.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    The best advice I can think of for warm weather hammocking is to pick a good site and set your tarp to "catch" the breezes instead of keep them off you. Just Jeff's site briefly mentions site selection here.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    BCUSA 10x10
    Insulation
    PLUQ perhaps
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    The best advice I can think of for warm weather hammocking is to pick a good site and set your tarp to "catch" the breezes instead of keep them off you. Just Jeff's site briefly mentions site selection here.
    I saw that - sounds like sage advice.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Warm weather is, IMO, where hammocking really shines. I've spent several humid, disgusting, muggy Georgia nights out in a hammock, and I would have been drenched in sweat if I were in a tent. Suspended in the air, no bottom insulation, even the tiniest breeze makes a huge difference. Tents on a 80 degree Georgia night are pure misery.

Hammock
    DIY Speer-type
    Tarp
    modded SG 12' x12'
    Insulation
    CCF and DAM
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Hammocks in the heat are in their natural element! A couple of weeks ago we had a real warm spell, and in an effort to conserve energy, I opted to set up the hammocks in our living room rather than turn on the AC. 78 degrees and very comfy, very cool.
    "Interesting! No, wait, the other thing.....tedious!"- Bender Bending Rodriques

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast