BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images

Pawleys Island Hammock stand - extentions?

So I was at Lowes the other night picking up some stuff and purchased one of these on a whim.

I have tinkered around with hanging all my different hammocks from it, the Speer, HH, BB and BMBH. None are really satisfactory, except the BMBH, which I think I overstressed the fabric when doing and caused some rips along the stitching (my bad!). It seems that my problem is that the extension arms on the stock stand are not high enough.

Here are my questions:

1) Since the stand goes together in sections, has anyone added two extra sections on each end for the height needed to get a decent hang?

2) Would the extra sections make it to "tippy"?

3) Should I look to a custom modification to get more vertical height?

Thanks,

Sweeper
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Proud Member of the "Corps of Insanity" Hiking Group, 2000-2015. Semper Gumby!

Check this thread as I believe the stands are almost the same but with extensions!
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=17441

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Thanks, CB! I saw that thread, that's kind of what prompted this thread. Since I don't have access to someone who welds, I am thinking of going to the Pawley's Island store next week (I'll be in Charleston all week) to see if I can get two stock extenders. I will call first, however!

I also think that the vertical rise on the stands in your link is more what I would like. If I can find the correct stock perhaps I'll check and see if I can find someone to weld it together for me.
    Hiking & Hanging is therapy, and much cheaper than medication in the long run. Carry on.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB bigmamajama
    Insulation
    walmart blue
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    I just made one. the first time, not knowing any better, I made mine to the regular height. Once I put my BB in it I realized not high enough. I added 18" to the arms that go out. So not only did I go up but I went out also.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    Thanks, CB! I saw that thread, that's kind of what prompted this thread. Since I don't have access to someone who welds, I am thinking of going to the Pawley's Island store next week (I'll be in Charleston all week) to see if I can get two stock extenders. I will call first, however!

I also think that the vertical rise on the stands in your link is more what I would like. If I can find the correct stock perhaps I'll check and see if I can find someone to weld it together for me.
    You could send 2Q a PM as I believe it was a friend of his that did this?!?!

Hammock
    BIAS WW Dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    UGO 40* Zepplin
    Suspension
    Cinch bugs/straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    You could send 2Q a PM as I believe it was a friend of his that did this?!?!
    Great idea! It's been a while since my last order up there anyway, so maybe I'll send the BMBH up for a mod while I'm at it...

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeper View Post
    Great idea! It's been a while since my last order up there anyway, so maybe I'll send the BMBH up for a mod while I'm at it...
    Not sure if he could do it? But he could at least lead you in the right direction for what's needed to get it done! I too have been looking at doing this!!!!

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I have a similar hammock stand and want extensions so I can hang my WBBB. I saw a post from OldGringo in the following thread that suggested contacting a muffler shop: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=16920&page=4

Mine are modeled from the pics in the hammock stand thread Harpo63 posted! I went today and got two extensions 45" long w/ a 45* bend to make them vertical. The 2" pipe cut, bent and flared on the ends to slip over the existing hammock stand pipe was $20! I still have to drill holes to tie the extensions to the lower stand arms and add attachment points for my hammock & tarp so I have not tested yet. The pipe is a pretty heavy gauge steel muffler pipe and is heavier than conduit, EMT or Chain link fencing rails so hopefully it will be strong enough to support me (250#). I will test this weekend and post photos.

Thanks to OldGringo for the tip on the muffler shop!

PS - the muffler shop made these while I waited, no welding and they were ready in 10 minutes.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Failure Update - The muffler shop hammock stand extensions did not work. The weak point in the extension was the 45* bend that was placed in the extension to gain the necessary height without being too wide. Bottom line (no pun intended, even though my bottom was on the line... Then on the ground) the gauge steel of the muffler pipe was too thin. The brackets held fine when I sat down but upon a test bounce one of the extensions folded right at the bend...

Now I will see if they can bend a heavier gauge steel pipe.

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    Failure Update - The muffler shop hammock stand extensions did not work. The weak point in the extension was the 45* bend that was placed in the extension to gain the necessary height without being too wide. Bottom line (no pun intended, even though my bottom was on the line... Then on the ground) the gauge steel of the muffler pipe was too thin. The brackets held fine when I sat down but upon a test bounce one of the extensions folded right at the bend...

Now I will see if they can bend a heavier gauge steel pipe.
    I was afraid that might happen...lots of leverage there.

You might consider straight extensions if that will work. It's all about angle of dangle.

For what it's worth, I have one of those stands, and I've pretty much given up on it. The geometry is just all wrong.
    Last edited by oldgringo; 05-23-2010 at 18:05.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast