Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Safari / Custom Silnylon
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash 4

Tarp: Should I build or should buy?

From what I read here, I should be looking for silnylon for a tarp.

I'm having some trouble locating it locally... (Anyone from the Minneapolis area, please feel free to chime in...)
    All of the Walmarts in my area seem to be getting rid of Fabrics. Joann doesn't have silnylon, and everywhere I look online is selling it for $8-12 a yard.

Seeing how I will need at least 8 yards, I'm looking at a minimum of $75 dollars for materials delivered...

I am interested in doing a Cat-cut eventually, but for this one, I think I'll stick to a rectangle/asym design for this one. I would also like to use it as a ground shelter.

I see online, I can get Hammock Bliss All-Purpose Shelter for about $40

I really wish I could have gotten in on that Guide Gear closeout...

Other silnylon 12x10 tarps are floating around online for $50....

Unless someone can direct me to a much cheaper source for silnylon, I can't see any added benefit for making one........ Unless there are other materials I should conciser.

this time....

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Aegis; 05-14-2010 at 08:29.
    ~Rob (AKA Mateo's Dad)

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Jack r Better have a sale on and their 8x8 is a good start. Also equinox has a fairly low priced tarp. Having said this if you have the money i would just buy a cat cut tarp from Warbonnet or OES or Backwoods Dreamer and be done .
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    OWF or Quest are reasonably priced for silnylon 2nds. Noah Lamport is even cheaper. A decent minimal tarp can be made from a single piece of silnylon 5' wide and 9' long. Hung on the diagonal, it has a ridgeline of 10' 3" or so.
    That's just 3 yards of fabric. You might want to get 6 yards and make a bigger tarp.

Before you spend big money, you could make one the same size out of plastic and Gorilla Tape. (See Gorilla Tarp thread.) It will work in the short term, and help you save time and money when you make a silnylon version. Good luck!

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Tarps are pretty inexpensive compared to the time and materials it takes to make them. So I would only make one if you want to make one or you have some custom idea in mind. I love the one I made, but I swore I would never make another. I have given up looking for sil in Wamart.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

dakotabear, doing things the DIY route is not alway's going to be cheaper if you factor in supplies, time, and everything else that would go into making one! But the satisfaction of knowing and bragging that "YOU" made it is a whole different thing all together! Not sure if this helps you!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash 4
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    dakotabear, doing things the DIY route is not alway's going to be cheaper if you factor in supplies, time, and everything else that would go into making one! But the satisfaction of knowing and bragging that "YOU" made it is a whole different thing all together! Not sure if this helps you!!
    Very True, and excellent point... I have a great deal of fun creating my own gear... and money saving is usually not in the equation.

Most of the time, I DIY because I cannot find something that meets my needs. If I can build it cheaper, I do as well, it's just fun.

For something simple like this, I am just weighing the options. I'm sure I will be building my own custom in the future...

Thanks for the input
    ~Rob (AKA Mateo's Dad)

Quote Originally Posted by dakotabear View Post
    Thanks for the input
    Anytime, let us know what you decide to do, and as always if it's DIY, we want "PIC'S"!!!!!

Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Wash 4
    I should probably add too that I am not that much of an ounce counter. My hikes are usually pretty short with the kids... When I'm on my own, it's never more than a weekend hike in and out.

I'm 6'5, and usually am hauling a 2 person tent, so pretty much any tarp/hammock combo will be a reduction in size and weight.
    ~Rob (AKA Mateo's Dad)

Hammock
    WBBB D1.1
    Tarp
    McCat Spn Deluxe
    Insulation
    Yeti UQ Te-wa TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Don't forget that OES does custom tarps to order. I sent him a sketch of what I wanted for my last tarp which was actually a hybrid of the spear winter tarp and the jacks R better cat cut tarp so I could use it in the baker hut mode in the winter solo or as a shelter for a dual hammock hang. Here's the thread on it.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...t=15865&page=2

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotabear View Post

Unless someone can direct me to a much cheaper source for silnylon, I can't see any added benefit for making one........ Unless there are other materials I should conciser.
    Ray Jardine has a DIY silnylon Tarp Kit that includes all of the extra pieces of webbing for loops and ropes for the guy lines all for $56. I believe that the stock kit will make a 9'x9' tarp. If that isn't big enough you can add extra material top the kit.

There is also the DIY silnylon way too. If you can find what ever lightweight ripstop fabric of your choice you can turn it into silnylon with a 3:1 ratio by weight of mineral spirits and clear silicone from the hardware store.

Cheers

Brian

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast