ENO Single and Double Nest (mod)
    Tarp
    Mamajamba Spinn
    Insulation
    It's Summer.
    Suspension
    7/64 Whoopie Sling

mamajamba vs maccat deluxe?

So I was hoping to find a thread that discussed these two tarps, but I have been unsuccessful. Does anyone have any advice to offer, such as pros and cons? Or perhaps knows of a thread that does discuss these type of things?

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by abrightwell View Post
    So I was hoping to find a thread that discussed these two tarps, but I have been unsuccessful. Does anyone have any advice to offer, such as pros and cons? Or perhaps knows of a thread that does discuss these type of things?
    Can't help with a thread reference but both tarps are first rate. The Backwoods Daydreamer Tarps are also good.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I don't have a maccat but do have a tarp from OES and a mambajamba.

In my opinion, the OES tarp is built more bulletproof - Brian's reinforcements are ultra burly and the rings are beefy and tough.

That said, the Warbonnet tarp has held up to some SERIOUS winds and had no problems. Brandon uses a very clever edge loading system to attach his tieouts, in a way that they don't put tons of stress on any one connection point. His rings are much smaller and lighter, and the whole thing is less bulky due to the lack of those really heavy tieout reinforcements. I've also never had to seam seal the MJ tarp, because the ridgeline is bound in a pretty clever way such that water doesn't seem to penetrate.

My opinion would be, other than the slight differences in size, if you want a tarp that is built way beefy, get the MacCat, and if you want a slightly lighter, more compressible tarp, get the MJ. Both are going to be outstanding products.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Yep - both solid tarps. You can get the door kit from Warbonnet and save on shipping, if that's something you'd like. MacCat will have sewn-on doors soon, but he hasn't settled his design yet.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    1.1 Blackbird or Traveler SL
    Tarp
    OES Deluxe Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti - all seasons
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies
    Images
    no cons on either side... if you want more coverage go with the mambajamba. I have the OES deluxe in SpinnUL and I have decent coverage in the rain but I personally need a weather shield for my underquilt for windy rainy conditions (based on my experience with the OES Deluxe).

I'm actually going to order the Mambajamba with doors in late June for my winter set up and retire my Superfly to my get home bag in my car. And no its not for sale you tarp junkies LOL

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a MacCat Deluxe and WB Superfly. Both are excellent. I think Mustardman described the differences well. You can't go wrong either way.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    I don't know about about the Maccat deluxe but I sure love my Big Mamajamba!
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Both tarps will keep you dry, provide great coverage, have been used by alot of HF member's and are made by great people! Either way you will be happy!
    FWIW I have a MC Deluxe and love that thing!

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by questtrek View Post
    I don't know about about the Maccat deluxe but I sure love my Big Mamajamba!
    Just the opposite for me. I really like my MC Deluxe. Now I will have to say that I was out on the AT this week and it rained Mon-Wed. While my MC did a great job of covering me I do wish it was a smidge larger. It would've been nice to have just a little more coverage.

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    I own and use both the OES MacCat Deluxe and the WB Big MamaJamba with and without detachable doors.

MacCat Pros: Lighter, very easy to pitch - actually hard to screw it up it is so well cut.

MacCat Cons: Doesn't offer a door system for protection from cold winds, the grey color is not so stealthy (but not bad either).

WB MJ Pros: Easy set-up when there are no doors, VERY stealthy green-grey color, doors (when used) offer superb wind and weather protection (i. e. excellent flexibility for multi-season use).

WB MJ Cons: Heavier (about 2 oz more for the basic tarp, 9 1/2 oz more when doors are added), fussy set-up with the doors - takes a good bit of time to untangle lines.

If you mostly hang in warmer weather and stealth is not a big priority, I would consider the OES MacCat first. For four-season hanging, the WB MJ with detachable doors is hard to beat for the flexibility they offer.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast