Tarp
    MacCat/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing/rings
    Images

Hey!

Hey, I'm new to the forum...I looked around for a good place to post this question, but I didn't see a "questions" section - so if I'm in the wrong place, apologies!

I have a Clark Jungle Hammock that I've been camping in for about 2 years now, and it's been amazing! I've slept in it for the past three months, I worked at a summer camp...the beds there were terrible But now my lines are starting to fray a little and unravel. I wanted to replace them, and happened across this holy grail of a website, and haven't really moved from this computer much since I've found it

Now that I've introduced myself, I have some questions:
    1.) What should I replace the ropes with?

2.) I REALLY want to make it adjustable....tying, getting in, getting out, re-tying...gets old.

3.) I've been trying to think of a way to keep the sag consistent, and I read about a ridgeline? I'm not sure how feasible that is on a Clark - as long as I can make it easily adjustable I'm not going to lose any sleep over it

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any help! I have loads of enthusiasm, but very little practical hammock knowledge - i just know it beats the ground.

I would say welcome, but I am just as new these forums.

1)You can get spectra ropes (http://www.apsltd.com/home.asp)

2) there are many ways to make adjustable, I prefer Nite-ize figure nine (large), so you can adjust it with a simple loop (see fig 9 thread), but anyone else will tell you any number of ways besides 9's.

3) There is nothing illegal about adding a structural ridgeline, just Tom Hennessey copyrighted it, so no other hammocks can sell one, but you can add them no prob. (http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock4.html)

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome WAMPAROO,

Like skar578 said, there are a number of ways to upgrade your suspension system. The most popular and best IMO is the ring/cinch buckle system.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...highlight=ring
    I know it's lengthy but ask away with your questions. Someone here is
    going to put together a shorthand version of this information. I believe AngrySparrow said he is gonna do it. The cinch buckles seem to be gaining
    the edge over the ring buckles here lately. I've used both and favor the cinch buckles.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 09-03-2007 at 17:19.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    WBBB, HeExpDlx
    Tarp
    MacCat/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing/rings
    Images
    that nite-ize will hold? it looks like the large can only handle a 150lb load, is that wrong?

I was looking at the hitchcraft monster tie, and i've heard a thing here and there about buckles...but again, it seems like they would slip a little bit -if anyone has a good website, or even thread on here that pertains to what works best - I'm all ears

edit: thanks fanatic I guess you replied while I was typing

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WAMPAROO View Post
    that nite-ize will hold? it looks like the large can only handle a 150lb load, is that wrong?

I was looking at the hitchcraft monster tie, and i've heard a thing here and there about buckles...but again, it seems like they would slip a little bit -if anyone has a good website, or even thread on here that pertains to what works best - I'm all ears

Both the ring buckles and cinch buckles will work well. With the ring buckles, you need to tie a slip knot at the rings to prevent any slippage issues. No knot is required with the cinch buckles. 2 rings weigh about the same as 1 buckle. Maybe .1 oz less. With the cinch buckles, you dont have to worry about issues such as wether the rings are together or not. They are just more user friendly and give better piece of mind IMO. Here's another nice thread.http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...=CINCH+BUCKLES
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 09-03-2007 at 17:29.

Images
    the ridgeline doesn't take nearly as much force as the suspension ropes. the large nine will definately work for the ridgeline, no problem. several here have even started using them as part of an adjustable suspension, but no one has used one for very long yet because we just figured out you could use it a week or so ago. check out the "new product for fig. 9" thread. no one has reported a failure yet. turk had over 200 lbs on one, but test it first with your own setup.

as for the ridgeline, why do you want it adjustable.you could make a makeshift adjustable one to see where you want it. once you figure out your perfect length, just make a section of line with a loop @ each end. just thread the support lines through these loops and slide them all the way down to the end of the suspension lines. now you have an external structural ridgeline that easily slips on and off over the suspension ropes.

Last edited by warbonnetguy; 09-03-2007 at 19:19.

Images
    oops, didn't see it was a clark, that setup may or may not work on a clark

well, some have used the 150 lb load weight and managed ok, even with swaying. If you want you could tie strong lines to a tree (loose) and the 9's, so if the nines fail you wont fall to the ground. or you could use 2 per side. I think the ring is nice

Hammock
    WBBB, HeExpDlx
    Tarp
    MacCat/Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing/rings
    Images
    yeah warbonnet, sorry i should have been more clear - i meant if I could find a way to make the hammock itself more adjustable, then I making a ridgeline for it wasnt as big of a deal.

I was looking at pictures in the gallery - i've seen what I'm guessing is referred to as the Crazy Creek buckles....the flat metal piece with the middle flared out at an angle and you run webbing through it? It seems like a quick setup - quicker than tying a rope to a tree, getting in it, untying it, adjusting, retying....etc.

I just dont understand how they dont slip under load....but I failed physics, so for now I'll just settle for "its magic!"

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    yeah warbonnet, sorry i should have been more clear - i meant if I could find a way to make the hammock itself more adjustable, then I making a ridgeline for it wasnt as big of a deal.

I was looking at pictures in the gallery - i've seen what I'm guessing is referred to as the Crazy Creek buckles....the flat metal piece with the middle flared out at an angle and you run webbing through it? It seems like a quick setup - quicker than tying a rope to a tree, getting in it, untying it, adjusting, retying....etc.

I just dont understand how they dont slip under load....but I failed physics, so for now I'll just settle for "its magic!"
    You need to get yourself a pair and try them out. They dont slip. You can get them from here.
    www.onrope1.com For some reason I cant pull up the 1" cinch buckles on the products page.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast