Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    HH Ultralight A-sym and JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB

Tree Hugger Woes

Greetings everyone...a newbie here. I've just completed my fourth hang using the HH Ultralight A-sym, but had to be less tree friendly this trip due to failure of one of my stock tree huggers. It was beyond shock to experience such breakage during my slumber. The trip was only saved by the fact I was sleeping over flat ground and not the rocky ledge I first considered on my hike into the park. I ditched the huggers and tied back off directly to the trees, but didn't sleep as peaceful as before of course, wondering how much I would hurt the next day, and whether the spectra line would break next. I was wondering whether you experienced hangers have ditched the stock tree huggers due to reported failures such as mine, or is it just a matter of ease of setup. Also, any ideas of what I may have done to cause the failure would be appreciated (too much tension?). I weigh 180 lbs. and was using the recommended figure 8 tie off to the tree huggers. I can tell the other tree hugger was beginning to wear through and was close to failure as well. I'm hesitant to return them for replacement.

Thanks,
    Hophead

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Hello Hophead and welcome to the forum,

Really strange you had your tree hugger break after only 4 uses. I dont have a clue. I've ditched my tree huggers cause they were a royal pain for me.
    I got sick of constantly having to re-adjust my hammocks tension. Tired of how slow my set up and break down was.....and on and on....................
    Can you tell I hate those things. Many Hennessy owners here have also ditched theirs and switched to a better suspension system such as the ring/cinch buckles system. I just posted some info. on it on another thread.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=45
    At the end of the webbing is a loop, I attach my Camp USA Nano wire carabiner to the loop
    and wrap around the tree and clip to the webbing. Super simple and super fast. You can get
    webbing as long as you'd like. I use 12' per side and can hang on trees over 20' apart if I wish.
    Tree thickness is not an issue like it can be with the tree huggers.
    Polyester and Polypropelene are the two types of webbing recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Hophead View Post
    Greetings everyone...a newbie here. I've just completed my fourth hang using the HH Ultralight A-sym, but had to be less tree friendly this trip due to failure of one of my stock tree huggers. It was beyond shock to experience such breakage during my slumber. The trip was only saved by the fact I was sleeping over flat ground and not the rocky ledge I first considered on my hike into the park. I ditched the huggers and tied back off directly to the trees, but didn't sleep as peaceful as before of course, wondering how much I would hurt the next day, and whether the spectra line would break next. I was wondering whether you experienced hangers have ditched the stock tree huggers due to reported failures such as mine, or is it just a matter of ease of setup. Also, any ideas of what I may have done to cause the failure would be appreciated (too much tension?). I weigh 180 lbs. and was using the recommended figure 8 tie off to the tree huggers. I can tell the other tree hugger was beginning to wear through and was close to failure as well. I'm hesitant to return them for replacement.

Thanks,
    Hophead
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 09-03-2007 at 18:29.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images
    Welcome Hophead.
    You don't know how odd it is for me to say that.
    First, I also live in Austin,
    Second, 'Hophead' is the name I use in company football pools.
    So that's a bit odd for me.....

About the tree huggers, where did they actually break?
    You could get some polyster webbing and make some nice huggers that won't break. However, four uses does sound pretty strange. Any chance there was a sharp edge on the tree that sliced into the webbing?
    Where did you venture out to? Any crowds? How was the rain?

Thanks,
    Hophead
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB
    Hello fellow Hophead. I'm assuming you picked your name for the same reason as I. Are you by chance an Austin Zealot (homebrewer)? The tree hugger broke right at the loop end. It appears frayed from the spectra line. I didn't see any other posts reflecting any problem like mine, so I may return them to HH and see what they say. I'm still going to look into replacement webbing as well.

I was at Pedernales Falls State Park this weekend in the primitive area. Nice hang site away from the ground dwellers on the ridge, but away from the edge of the ridge at the last minute. Good thing. I had a nice small runoff stream from the rain leading into a waterfall right by my site. Very peaceful...until....

Images
    Hello fellow Hophead. I'm assuming you picked your name for the same reason as I. Are you by chance an Austin Zealot (homebrewer)? The tree hugger broke right at the loop end. It appears frayed from the spectra line. I didn't see any other posts reflecting any problem like mine, so I may return them to HH and see what they say. I'm still going to look into replacement webbing as well.
    Well I used to be a homebrewer. Life kind of swallowed that hobby up It was back when AHS was over on 51st or so and St. Pats was in schofield farms and down next to waterloo brewing....

However, IPA has always been my favorite brew(hence the hops). A new one just came to town called Racer 5 from California, you should check it out. I had it last October when I was out in San Jose on business. I was shocked when it was on tap at the Draught House.

Oh about the webbing... yep I give hennessy a ring or an email. They'll definitely send you a replacement. Did it look like it came unstitched?

I was at Pedernales Falls State Park this weekend in the primitive area. Nice hang site away from the ground dwellers on the ridge, but away from the edge of the ridge at the last minute. Good thing. I had a nice small runoff stream from the rain leading into a waterfall right by my site. Very peaceful...until....
    That's the beauty of hammocking, you aren't limited to where you sleep. I get kind of naughty and do stealth camping. I'm a leave no trace kind of guy so I don't abuse that privilege. I was at pedernales in June and stayed in a little different place Here

Nobody around and I was close to clean water to filter over at Jones Spring. Next time I think I have a better spot picked out

BTW I hope you know about the beautiful swimming hole in Bee Creek just off the 'trail' aka road. It's a great place to take a dip.

The Good Water Trail on lake georgetown has some great 'hanging spots' that aren't necessarily near Sawyer, etc.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB
    No it didn't come unstiched at all. It broke right in the middle of the loop. I wish my digital camera was working so I could post a picture of the break and the fraying on the other loops. It's almost as if it was cut by the spectra line.

Thanks for the info on Georgetown. I'm always looking for new spots to camp. I've worn many of the same old trails out. I don't think I was too far from your stealth spot. I was tempted to get closer to the river, but couldn't get away from the draw of the waterfall.

Ah yes, IPA, the greatest beer ever made IMO.

Hophead (Gary)

Images
    question...is this a new hammock????...the only thing i have ever seen make webbing break like that was
    A. long term UV damage
    B ..caustic chems getting on the webbing.....
    ...freak things do happen..with anything no matter how new or strong...and hennessy is known for making good on their product...i would drop them a line and ask what they will do to make it right...i have used my huggers in many many hangs and and they show no signs of damages or wear... i trust them completely..

tree hugger woes

Hennessy recently notified me of the possibility of the spectra line cutting through the tree huggers. They sent new huggers for my HH hammocks - no charge. The new huggers are of a different material. The spectra line is prone to cut through the original huggers, or common nylon webbing if you make your own.

Personally, I have been using carabiners at the huggers for convenience, then tying the rope off to the ' biners, and thus have seen no damage.

I would definitely recommend you give them a call.

I take it you did not register your hammock with them?

I think you may have found a genuine problem. Spectra is pretty abrasive. If there really is a problem, you should contact HH. They would have a real product liability problem and should either recall the straps or put out an advisory notice. Someone could badly hurt their back if this fails while hanging over rocks or a gully.

Please let us know how you tension your lines. Do you pull the spectra line through to full tension, then bend it round and tie off, or do you pull against the tree drawing it through the loop like a "commando wire saw" drawing against a sapling?

For what it's worth, if you get a new set of straps, a stainless steel triangular quick link would eliminate your problem.

Hammock
    Tarp
    MacCat
    Insulation
    JRB
    Just to follow up on some of the questions asked:

It was a new hammock and I've stored it in the house since I bought it at REI.
    It hasn't been exposed to any chemicals that I know of other than beer fumes.

I didn't know you could register your hammock with Hennesy. If they will let me at this point I'll do that.

I didn't go overboard with the tie off. Just pulled the rope through the tree hugger loops hand tight and started the figure 8 wrapping.

I sent off an email to Hennesy earlier today, but have had no reply yet. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks for all the support and good advice. I had considered the use of biners, and am going to at a minimum include those in my setup.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast