Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hophead View Post
    Just to follow up on some of the questions asked:

It was a new hammock and I've stored it in the house since I bought it at REI.
    It hasn't been exposed to any chemicals that I know of other than beer fumes.

I didn't know you could register your hammock with Hennesy. If they will let me at this point I'll do that.

I didn't go overboard with the tie off. Just pulled the rope through the tree hugger loops hand tight and started the figure 8 wrapping.

I sent off an email to Hennesy earlier today, but have had no reply yet. I will let you know what happens.

Thanks for all the support and good advice. I had considered the use of biners, and am going to at a minimum include those in my setup.
    I'm sure Hennessy will send you a new set. They have pretty good customer service.
    In the mean time if you need a loaner let me know and I'll hook you up.
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I think that the term "spectra" rope may be used to describe many versions of rope that contain spectra cores. I am not a Hennessey expert but the one I did own had a spectra core with a covering that could be considered abrasive. Spectra (dyneema) is actually quite slick and will not hold knots like tautline hitches very well. The spectra rope I use would not be considered abrasive and I have used with nylon, polypro, and poly tree huggers with no ill effect. Most spectra comes with a coating to protect the spectra from abrasion. The coating actually makes it slide easily. Does the HH in question have a spectra core with something else for a sheath or cover?

Images
    did they say what this new tree hugger webbing was made of? inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by tgilmore View Post
    Hennessy recently notified me of the possibility of the spectra line cutting through the tree huggers. They sent new huggers for my HH hammocks - no charge. The new huggers are of a different material. The spectra line is prone to cut through the original huggers, or common nylon webbing if you make your own.

Personally, I have been using carabiners at the huggers for convenience, then tying the rope off to the ' biners, and thus have seen no damage.

I would definitely recommend you give them a call.

I take it you did not register your hammock with them?

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    This thread has been haunting me since I read it. I am now convinced I noticed wear on my tree huggers last time I was out......... I really should just go in the basement and inspect them..........

I do think in the future I will use something to attached my line to the tree huggers rather than running the line through the loops.

hey you austin hammockers!

im not in austin but im close enough. if ever there develops an austin...or central texas hammocking group let me know!

tom hennessy is good folks. he will take care of anything wrong with one of his products.

i have switched to an eno slapstrap/carabiner on one end and a cc buckle on the other end.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I also had signifigent wear on my huggers from the spectra. I think it had alot to do with the knot tightening down on the edges.

That way I can replace it when it wears and it doesn't rub or squeeze on the same spot.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    JRB James River Bridge
    Tarp
    JRB 11 X 10
    Insulation
    JRB Quilts
    Suspension
    Webbing, TG, DC
    Ok so I finally inspected our tree huggers. The stock pair on for my wifes ULB do not look good at all. The inside of the loops look almost melted! Kind of shocking since her hammock has 24 hangs tops (including practice hangs in local parks. The look bad enough that I do not want to risk her using them at the Maryland hang in two weeks.

So I am considering taking the DIY plunge (or toe dip) and two sets of tree huggers.

I remember in a post somewhere (can't seem to find it now) around here that someone attached a ring to one end of the hugger and had a loop on the other end that was big enough to pass the ring thru to which they tie the spectra from the hammock two. I am really considering this option, does any one have any additional thoughts on this?

Also any suggestions on where I can get four rings and the straps from fast enough so I can have them ready for the MAHA hang?

While I am in question mode what type of straps should I get? What kind of thread should I use? How long should I make the straps?

I hope I don't sew my fingers together!!!!!

Are you referring to the ring buckle setup? If so REI sells the SMC lightweight aluminum rings if there is one near you. Ed Speer sells the majority favored polyester 1" webbing and ships very quickly in my experience although ordering through his site is kind of a pain unless you go through Paypal. Most on this forum use between 10 - 15 feet of webbing on each end depending on your personal preference. I started with 15 feet then cut it down to 12 feet as I found 15 feet to be uneccessarily long for me. There's lots of great info on this forum on this topic if you do a quick search.

Images
    You might also want to swing by the Figure 9 thread....

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight w/ring buckles
    Tarp
    MLD cuben fiber
    Insulation
    ZPack, JRB quilts
    That's one of the reasons I switched to the ring buckle system also. I noticed the loops in the tree huggers were wearing from the friction of pulling the spectra thru them when setting up and re-tightening. Made me nervous.

I used the REI descending rings tied directly to the spectra and the Harbor Freight tie down webbing. I just left the steel hooks in the webbing instead of using a 'biner. (most of my camping is car camping or short hikes so the few extra ounces doesn't matter, plus it's one less piece of equipment).

It makes setup and adjustment much quicker and i feel safer than using the tree huggers.

John

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast