Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Great pics dejoha. I'll bet your kids had a blast out there.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    Great pics dejoha. I'll bet your kids had a blast out there.
    Thanks drewboy, and all. They keep talking about going back; a sure sign you did something right! I can't wait to hit the trail again.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Great pics of a mighty fine time...

Isn't it amazing how GOOD the tarp is?????

Tom

Hammock
    BIAS 11 footer
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    pitbull Shamu
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    I've heard there are trails right out of Kachina Village into the canyons there.
    Yeah, hiking right out the back door. Five minutes from my deck and you are in the Coconino NF, straight down Pumphouse Wash. My wife did lots of trail running all over that place. She even ran though a surprised herd of sheep.

Ahhhh, good times......

Ever get into Sycamore Canyon or the Inner Basin (Kachina Peaks)?
    Ken T.

“Between every two pines is a doorway to a new world.”
    ― John Muir
    Watches synchronized, sharp mind and empty bladder. You get caught, demand an attorney and don't ever say my name. - Agent Simmons
    "With your eyes closed you can't tell the difference between Tyvek and Cuben." - Knotty

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by muttly View Post
    I hiked portions of upper Sycamore Canyon near a Boy Scout ranch -- very beautiful. I'd like to return there and hike some of the trails that go into Sedona.

I haven't done much of anything on the peaks, yet, except for day hiking Mount Elden. With my recent move into Doney Park, I'm closer to some access points so I'm looking forward to extending my trips into the Kachina Wilderness.

Lots of trees for hammocking!

Hammock
    Homemade DIY Hennessy
    Tarp
    Homemade Speer
    What are your son's ages. I am still debating on taking my 3 1/2 year old this summer. I am already planning a trip with my 7 year old, but was thinking that 2 might be too much at such a young age. It is not that they can't be outside, but I can't carry all that stuff (well, don't want to). The problem is that my 3 year old LOVES going camping so will be very upset if I leave him.
    I have taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by finallyME View Post
    What are your son's ages. I am still debating on taking my 3 1/2 year old this summer. I am already planning a trip with my 7 year old, but was thinking that 2 might be too much at such a young age. It is not that they can't be outside, but I can't carry all that stuff (well, don't want to). The problem is that my 3 year old LOVES going camping so will be very upset if I leave him.
    I completely understand! I prefer to go backpacking and get out into the woods a little further than just car camping, but that is tougher with younger kids. This past weekend I took my 2-year-old, 5-year-old, and 7-year-old camping (the boys). The 2-year-old is still in diapers, so I decided to bring a small "kiddie" pup-tent so I could have a place to change clothes, change diapers, etc. I think it was a good choice under the circumstances. It was essentially a car camping trip, but we did hike a little distance to get out of view. I had to make a few trips to lug all the gear.

My 7- and 8-year-old can carry their own gear, so they go on backpacking trips with me. I figure as soon as they can properly carry (most) of their own gear (weight dependent on age, etc.), let them.

The tent was a horrible reminder why I gave up tent camping. I'll boast that I'm quick when it comes to camp set-up, but no matter how fast I can click together a modern tent, it is still a longer process than hammocking. Take-down was even worse, with dew and condensation to dry, gooey dirt and debris to clean off, and the slow roll-and-pack afterwards.

I don't mind sleeping on the ground on occasion, but I'd much rather tarp if I have to. It's that much easier. I think I'm just lazy.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by muttly View Post
    Yeah, hiking right out the back door. Five minutes from my deck and you are in the Coconino NF, straight down Pumphouse Wash. My wife did lots of trail running all over that place. She even ran though a surprised herd of sheep.

Ahhhh, good times......

When I used to live on Roberta Drive in NW Flagstaff, I would occasionally quail hunt and car camp near Sycamore Canyon, but not actually in it. Still, it was awesome country at the bottom of the Red Rocks and Mogollon Rim.

But, I was all over that Inner basin, summer hiking and winter cross country on skis. What an incredible place, what Aspens! I have camped up there more than a few times, but that was before my hammock days. Now, it would be all the more enjoyable. I would love to still live there. And as if that area was not nice enough, I was closer to the north rim of the Grand Canyon and the San Juan mountains of CO than I am now to the Smokies. Good times alright!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    Lockett Meadow is one of my favorite car camping spots, with trails leading to great places from the inner basin. Going up the Weatherford trail to the summit of Humphreys at 12,637 is one of the nicest dayhikes in the area, if not the state.

Hammock
    PolyD
    Tarp
    OES MacCat ultra
    Insulation
    New River KAQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks
    Images
    Love AZ. I have a lot of family there.
    It's nice having a NF in your back yard.
    Tortoise never for a moment stopped, but went on with a slow but steady pace straight to the end of the course.
    Translated by George Fyler Townsend. Aesop's Fables (p. 18). Amazon Digital Services, Inc..

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast