Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tarp tension

Tarp tension

As I am laying here is this mosoon we are having in central Georgia a bright idea hit me..

As I always did in my tent camping days, I have tied the set end of my tarp guidelines to the tarp and the other end around the stake with the figure nines. It just hit me that had a used the fixed end on the stake and the adjustable figure nine end at the tarp, I could adjust the tension while sitting under the tarp instead of having to get out from under the tarp to reach it at the stakes. I'll know better next time.

Wow that lightening was close. There might not be a next time!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Thats how I always suggest rigging guy lines. I havent yet had the pleasure of being under my tarp when its raining, though.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Thanks for the reminder of the optimum way to get the guy lines on.
    Thanks
    Tom

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    I have my figure 9's directly attached to the tie-out loops on my tarp. They stay there all the time and when I put out the stakes the guy-lines loop around them and then attach to the figure 9's.

Hammock
    Tree Boat
    Tarp
    Guide
    Insulation
    CCF
    Suspension
    straps
    Tensioner on the tarp makes adjusting in foul weather much drier! I leave my lines attached to my tarp to make set up quicker. I have changed my lines to 2.2 zing it and my figure 9s to 1.75 zing it tied with a prussic. Now when I put my tarp away I don't have any metal parts that could damage my tarp. This set up is very quick and saved some grams. I ran my guy lines through the grometts on the tarp to make adjustment one handed. Sorry no pictures.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC
    Insulation
    KAQ TQ/JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Has anyone ever tried using Bungee cord to keep tension on a tarp? I have tried it before when setting up a "dry" field position on an FTX, but never while camping? I'm trying to figure out different ways to keep my tarp/rainfly taunt throughout the night. Thanks.

Hammock
    Custom Darien 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben & Sil SF
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutch bkls
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    Has anyone ever tried using Bungee cord to keep tension on a tarp? I have tried it before when setting up a "dry" field position on an FTX, but never while camping? I'm trying to figure out different ways to keep my tarp/rainfly taunt throughout the night. Thanks.
    I had bought a number of different materials to play with and had different degrees of success. I used bungee cord and some elastomer material I picked up from a marine supply store. Just tied the line to both ends with some slack in it which isn't pretty but works o.k. No extensive testing just playing around.
    I ended up buying a set of Opie's tarp guide lines with the built in tensioners and they are great! Better looking than what I could do and I have more faith in them to operate at temperature extremes. Never had it so easy

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0
    Tarp
    Zpack's H. Tarp
    Insulation
    Summer Crowsnest
    Suspension
    ring buckles
    I agree that this technique is the optimum. Not only can you adjust the tension from under the tarp, but another benefit is, with the cord permanently attached to each stake, it's near impossible to lose a one.
    "Every minute outside ... is a good minute!" -> Calvin & Hobbes, 8/1/1993

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp.
    Tarp
    Chinook 9.5'x12'
    Insulation
    HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
    I have use a small loop of shock cord with my guy lines and it works well. It is something that is permanently attached and it has kept my tarp tight when it rains. The material I used came from a tent pole repair kit. I also have a buddy who has made some out of surgical tubing.

The following forum thread talks about this a lot.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=3731

Chris

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I tried tarp tensioners for a while, but I found them not really necessary if you pitch your tarp tight enough to begin with - it's possible to pull most of the stretch out from the very beginning.

Since I rarely have to adjust anything, I keep my guylines attached to the tarp, and the figure 9's attached to my groundhog stakes. That way, all the hardware is stored separate from the tarp, so less chance of puncturing it. Also, since the figure 9's are attached directly to the stakes, if I am pitching the tarp really low, I can hook the V notch of the figure 9 directly through the webbing loop on the tarp tieout, and skip the guylines altogether.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast