Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Bag and Pad
    Suspension
    WS
    Images

A Reality Check

O.K., it's been almost a year since I took the plunge into hammock camping. I have been out on three trips and have enjoyed the hammock. It is so comfortable, relaxing, compact, light-weight, and...... IMPOSSIBLE TO SLEEP IN!!!!!!
    I have been trying to train my body to sleep on it's back, but I am failing. I am a total belly sleeper. I hang at the firehouse constantly and love it, until I start to fall off to sleep, then my body tries to roll over and I wake up. Then the process starts all over again. I finally fall off after several tries and total exhaustion. Later, I wake up from trying to roll over. It's an tiring cat and mouse game I feel like I am losing. I actually found myself looking at, oh my god I can't believe I'm saying this, bivy sacks!
    I don't know what to do. I am a horrible sleeper anyway. I can't turn off my brain at night. It takes me an hour in ideal conditions to fall asleep. I want to be a hammock camper, that's why I keep trying this, but at the end of the day I'm a hiker first. Camping has always been the interlude between hikes. I would be a day hiker if I could figure out a way to walk thirty miles in a day. Simple is usually better, and I just need to find something that works and stick with it.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. HELP!
    Slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ArsonHammockHanger

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Try a bridge hammock. They are the only hammocks flat enough to sleep comfortably on your belly. Either a DIY or a JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock ought to do the trick.

Hammock
    WB Traveller or my DIY gathered-end
    Tarp
    DIY 8x10
    Insulation
    Pads, usually
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Dutchgear
    I don't own one, but I hear that bridge-style hammocks create a lay flat enough to allow belly-sleeping.

A doublenest is nice, but probably won't get you flat enough to lay on your front!

Here are some threads related to DIY bridges, the JRB Bear Mountain Bridge is supposed to be awesomeness itself.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=14120
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=1676
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=2480
    Last edited by RootCause; 05-17-2010 at 11:59.

Hammock
    Clark NX-200
    Tarp
    Clark XL-Fly
    Insulation
    KAQ NR UQ/AHE KAQ
    Suspension
    Strap/cinch buckle
    Arson:
    Have you thought about looking onto a Bridge Hammock. I have heard, don't quote me on this, but the lay is flat enough that it is possible to belly-sleep in one of them. Can you sleep on your side or is only belly sleep for you? Have you thought about sleep aids, like Tylenol PM? Good for aches and pains and should help you sleep! Just suggestions, not solutions I know. At home I am a belly sleeper in my hammock I am usually too tired to care and fall asleep as soon as I hit the pillow!
    Par Si Vis Pace Para Bellum

Hammock
    Anything hanging in the living room
    Arson, I too, sleep on my stomach, and remedied the problem while hiking by balling my clothes up to the center of my body and rolling almost all the way over to stretch out while sleeping at the hammock's angle. You might want a DIY hammock where you create a wider cut, creating a better chance at sleeping at an angle by stretching out. DIY hammocks are our favorites around here, because they are much wider and you can almost sleep in it sideways, which makes belly sleeping more forgiving........ Or a bridge hammock, as I just noticed others posting!

It takes a bit of figuring out, but it really worked for me... Hope others have good suggestions...

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Try a bridge hammock. Flat lay with the ability to allow "belly sleep". Should be someone in your area with a spare, or meet up with them for a test hang?

I'm a devoted belly sleeper in the bed, but in the hammock it's fine for me to sleep on my back. Perhaps my diy's are suited to me ? I side sleep on occassion, but normally I'm on my back at bedtime and wake up in the same position in the morning.

On the diagonal, I have done a belly sleep position and nodded off, but usually wake and turn during the night.
    Play with the sag, play with adjusting the head or foot end at different elevations. Try other hammocks. It may be the ENO isn't your style?
    Good luck in your quest for comfort.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Arson try side sleeping, bridges are more flat, also cuben hammocks are flatter than nylon hammocks, a taut cuben hammock might fit all your goals. Earplugs help to turn the mental circus off, allowing you to hear your own breathing. try focusing on your breathing alone, the in and out, focus all your attention in that point until you natrually stop focusing on the breathing, and let it be, you will drift away. In my blackbird, i like to sleep all the way on my side, which is easier in a single layer. Also try consuming a heavy caloric dose before bed, such as complementary mcdonalds butter packets or olive oil. Will help to ko you. Everclear is an option, a hardy shot before bed may be just the pain killer/mental activity dissolver you need. Try side sleeping with a stuff sack full of clothes between you knees. Try installing an adjustable ridgeline in your hammock via locked brummel on one end, whoppie on the other, will allow you to adjust sag, maybe flattening.
    Last edited by ikemouser; 05-17-2010 at 12:18.

Hammock
    Double layer DIY
    Tarp
    11 x 10 Sil DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Please for the love of your spine, DON'T sleep on your stomach. Keep trying, stomach sleeping is just as hard, if not harder, of a habit to break as smoking. Good posture while sleeping is just as important as good posture when we are standing, sitting, walking, running . . . . . You will spend roughly 1/3 of your life asleep: do it properly.

As far as falling asleep there are a few things you might try. The first is standardized valerian root. It has to be standardized so that you know you are getting the right amount. Valerian is a MILD non-habit forming sedative. Just enough to calm the brain down, but not enough to warrant the standard label of "do not operate heavy machinery blah blah blah" or totally knock you out. This stuff stinks and I keep my bottle inside a ziplock bag. Also, most people with sleep disturbances are deficient in magnesium. The best form to take is magnesium malate (aka malic acid). Try one or the other at a time. I have had patients take both after having a little success with each separately. The result was like valium: dead to the world. As always, if you deside on supplements, please consult the physician of your choice and take as directed on the bottle.

Hope this helps

Doc
    I have two doctors, my left leg and my right. ~G.M. Trevelyan

Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    I'm a side sleeper and cannot sleep on my back for more than 40min or so. I do very well in a Hammock (after the usual wriggling around to find the sweet spot) in the fetal position. It does help a lot to have a small pillow (or stuff sack w/clothes) to put between the knees. Be sure to sleep asymmetrically in the hammock (corner to corner).

Dunno if that will help you at all, but it does the trick for me.

- Scott, of the no-back-sleep hang.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Arson View Post
    Any suggestions would be appreciated. HELP!
    get a tent and sleep happily ever after
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast