Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by kritter View Post
    You only tie the lanyard knot once and you are done. That is the advantage of this system. A re-woven figure 8 is a good knot but you have to tie and un-tie it each time. As all climbed know untieing a loaded figure 8 can be tough. Especially when it is done with thin cord.
    Read the original thread because you are missing the concept of this cool gadget.
    HMMMmmmmm great point.
    I looked closer at the applications for this setup and in the area I was thinking... (my mind sometimes goes off on its own tangent) I want to replace my biners used on my tree hugers. so I would have no need to untie the knot. But after seeing some pics of the other setups, I can see why you would want to untie the knot so you can break down.

Because of my desires to replace my binners, I am worried about the amsteel cutting through my webbing i use for the tree hugers.

I will have to keep an eye on them for wear and tear.
    Thanks for the comments.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL & GT Single & nano-7
    Tarp
    Poly Camo 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQLostRiver & Pad
    Suspension
    OEM&WhoopieSlings
    Quote Originally Posted by Convert2010 View Post
    HMMMmmmmm great point.
    I looked closer at the applications for this setup and in the area I was thinking... (my mind sometimes goes off on its own tangent) I want to replace my biners used on my tree hugers. so I would have no need to untie the knot. But after seeing some pics of the other setups, I can see why you would want to untie the knot so you can break down.

Because of my desires to replace my binners, I am worried about the amsteel cutting through my webbing i use for the tree hugers.
    Check this out: http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=loeU_DQ0SjU
    Kind of an extreme case, but if you go this route DEF keep your eyes on your webbing.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wetware1967 View Post
    Kind of an extreme case, but if you go this route DEF keep your eyes on your webbing.
    In all fairness, your hammock cord isnt being sawn across your webbing like that. The thing that killed that webbing was heat generated from the friction. It wasnt the "sawing action" that cut the webbing. I mean, it was.... but the rope didnt "cut" the webbing, it melted it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL & GT Single & nano-7
    Tarp
    Poly Camo 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQLostRiver & Pad
    Suspension
    OEM&WhoopieSlings
    Quote Originally Posted by opie View Post
    In all fairness, your hammock cord isnt being sawn across your webbing like that. The thing that killed that webbing was heat generated from the friction. It wasnt the "sawing action" that cut the webbing. I mean, it was.... but the rope didnt "cut" the webbing, it melted it.
    Agreed. Though rope shackles will damage webbing more than carbiners given the same amount of movement/load over the same amount of time.
    Not knocking rope shackles, they have their uses.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    I was always taught to check your cordage ( and now, webbing ) before use. More than just friction can damage rope or webbing ( UV, etc. ).

Back in my climbing days, I never saw a rope damaged by carabiners but I saw a lot of biners and figure 8's ruined by rope friction.

Quote Originally Posted by wetware1967 View Post
    Thanks for this video. I have seen this video in the past and I even did the test myself to show a fellow rock-climber why we use the carabiners and not rope-to-webbing setups.
    It is quite scary if you think about it, but Opie is dead on with the heat from the friction that is causing the damage.

I prefer to loose the weight and go with the nacrobiners instead of the heavy carabiners while constantly keeping an eye on how I work the tree hugers to keep the friction down to a minimum so I don't fall to the floor whilst I slumber.

Hammock
    HH Exploder
    Tarp
    Stock / hex
    Insulation
    UQ/pad
    Suspension
    DIY woopies&straps
    Anyone try making these with a monkey fist?

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    DIY SilNylon
    Quote Originally Posted by DARKSHADOW View Post
    Anyone try making these with a monkey fist?
    HA! I was just wondering that exact same thing -- I think you could get a similar result... not sure since i haven't done my own experimentation with this (new to the forums.... just discovered what a necrabiner is!) but it seems like a good theory!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    It would work, but I don't know what the pull strength would be. Sounds like we will have to get some of the guys with that equipment to do a test run for us.
    Bat
    Beginning my NOBO trip on the AT on 2/28/12.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123