Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question for those with Mont-Bell sleeping bags

I have been looking for a warmer weather bag for sometime. The reason I am looking for a sleeping bag instead of a quilt is I want the versatility of being able to use it on the ground or in a tree. I have a Western Mountaineering 10 degree bag and it is way overkill for most summer camping. I have used it below zero and slept fine.

My main question is are the stretch numbers on the Montbell bag realistic. It says they stretch from 57-81 in the shoulder. I am a big guy and my WM bag is 66 in the shoulders and is tight. Which is fine when it is 0 degrees but I am looking for something with a little more wiggle room for the summer.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; Nano 7
    Tarp
    Flat 8x10
    Insulation
    Yeti; CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have the Montbell 850 Down UL SS #2 which is a 25 degree bag. It's my go to bag even though I have other bags that are warmer for cold weather. It's sooooo light and packs teeny tiny. Yes, I use it in the summer also because I just open it up and drape it over me when it's too warm to zip it up. Yes, it is totally stretchable. I can't say whether it stretches all the way to 81 inches but I suspect that it probably comes pretty darn close for the long size. I have the regular size so I think it stretches to 72 inches or something like that. I'm not a huge person by any means but I'm not tiny either yet I am able to sit up cross-legged or, turn over and sleep on my stomach and not have the bag follow me like a typical mummy bag. The only downside for me and I mean the only downside is that the tempurature rating is way off for me. It's a man's bag so it doesn't have the extra insulation in the upper body and foot area as women bags do. But, I still love that sleeping bag and always carry my Thermal Reactor liner bag just in case the tempurature drops. Anyway, I think you'll like the way the Montbell SS stretches and if you buy it from Campsaver you can always return it if you are not happy with it. Even after trying it out. Kat

Hammock
    Warbonnet B-bird
    Tarp
    WB MJ /SWT
    Insulation
    Yeti, leg pad/pack
    Suspension
    Whoooooooopie
    Images
    I too am a big guy. There is a lot of stretch in their bags. I wear a 56 jacket, to give you a point of reference, and I have room to move in their bags.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." Gen. George S. Patton

What exactly makes a sleeping bag more versatile for ground use?

Seriously, it's a matter of preference, but there are tons of us out there that use a quilt for both applications (happily).

Sleeping bags are just poster children for wasted weight IMHO.. but it's a personal choice as always.

Hammock
    Warbonnet B-bird
    Tarp
    WB MJ /SWT
    Insulation
    Yeti, leg pad/pack
    Suspension
    Whoooooooopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdempsey View Post

Seriously, it's a matter of preference, but there are tons of us out there that use a quilt for both applications (happily).

Sleeping bags are just poster children for wasted weight IMHO.. but it's a personal choice as always.
    I use my bag like a quilt most of the time. I move around a lot even in the hammock. When it is cold, I find that I stay warmer when I can limit the amount of warm air that escapes each time I move. To make things worse, I sleep on my side. Most quilts have to have wings added to give me something to tuck.
    "Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity." Gen. George S. Patton

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jdempsey View Post
    I can't believe I'm going to put this out in the public record, but on a cold night spent on the ground I'd rather have a sleeping bag too. It 'feels' warmer to be able to really seal yourself up and not worry about rolling out from under a quilt or creating a draft hole. I learned that lesson this winter while playing with some survival skills. It's not that I froze under the quilt or anything, but I did sleep better in a sleeping bag. Probably as much mental as anything.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Custom Darien 11'
    Tarp
    HG Cuben & Sil SF
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie&Dutch bkls

Hope this helps

I can add that I'm seldom comfortable in most bags and now only use a ul ss #2 and #0.

For comparison I have a feathered friends rock wren that I can no longer zip up at the chest and a semi-rectangular Penguin that isn't as comfortable as the Montbell bags. All that dead air space in the Penguin is gone in the ul ss series which also makes for a warmer bag.

When I tried the long I did notice what felt like more room than the regular so that's what I bought for both but I didn't measure to see if there was a difference.

I've looked at wide bags and have tried out dozens for over 15 years. Nothing made currently even comes close to the Montbell bags for girth. Every big guy I know that has tried them has never gone back. The fact that they're light and stretchy is just a huge bonus. Best bags on the planet for anyone XXL bar none in my opinion.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I just bought the "short" 15 degree Down Hugger, and it just barely fits me at 5'8. They really do have quite a bit of stretch to them. Very nice bags.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I am 5'8" and 230 Lbs I love my mont Bell 32 degree bag, plenty warm and lots of stretch

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast