Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Noob here... Need HELP & Advice???

Hello all, I am new to the forum as well as hammock camping. I recently purchased a hennsey expedition. I used it this past weekend for the first time. The temp overnight was about 66-70. I slept in jogging shorts and a t-shirt. I also used a 40 degree sleeping bag as a quilt.http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/pr...LAID=236230689 I found that if i was covered up by the sleeping bag I was a little too warm and would sweat. If using no cover it was slightly chilly. I also found out that it was chilly for skin to be on the hammock instead of laying on the quilt. I used a fleece pull over as a pillow which worked pretty well. I am planning on doing a 85 mile hike on the AT this next week. I expect to experience overnight lows to be in the mid 50's. I am planning on sleeping in wind pants, a long sleeve shirt and socks. I was also thinking about taking along one of these to lay under my quilt inside the hammock. http://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Sun.../dp/B001DZWXTW And using the same quilt. I am leaving early Saturday morning and hope to get some advice from you experienced hammocker's... Thanks

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    a blue foam/closed cell foam pad would be an excellent supplement to your reflector, and can be trimmed to fit the parts of you that are the coldest. backyard testing highly recommended.
    consider the possibility of a fleece type sleeping bag matched with the reflector also....
    KM

So would both be necessary in those temps? or could i just stick with the foam pad?

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    as is so often the answer around here- it depends- are you a warm or cold sleeper? I am frequently cold, so I would take both( well, three) and mix and match for best results. you might get by with just the foam or just the reflector, or just the fleece, if there is no wind, or it is windstopping fleece..try out different combos in the yard, before you hit the road.
    KM

I don't really have time to test it out in the yard. I am out of town until Friday and leave first thing Saturday morning. I would say that I am in between as far as warm and cold sleeper goes.

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    in that case, I'd counsel the reflector and the foam,and keep a fleece jacket handy for tucking into cold spots. you should survive, but it mgiht be chilly at times. KM

Thanks for the quick advice.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    With your short timeframe, I would also recommend the closed-cell foam (CCF) pad. I cut mine down to torso-length and then scored it so it would fold in thirds. The pad became my pack frame, sit pad, and hammock insulation. This torso-sized pad would lay lengthwise across my shoulders, since the hammock wraps around me, providing insulation around my shoulders and back. I would also cut a forth section, which would cover my backside and legs. At the temperatures you're talking about, a CCF should be fine, considering your timeframe and options.

A blue CCF from Wal*Mart is probably overkill for those temps -- there are better, lighter, and thinner pads available, but few you could get before Friday, I think.

I'm still waiting for my own Insultex (IX) under quilt (UQ) from Mac, so I can't speak from personal experience, but the reviews from others confirm that this lightweight UQ will work for most people down to 40°F. No pad necessary. This might be an option for future warm-weather hikes. I think Stormcrow is working on a line of IX UQ as well.

Good luck! Your trek sounds exciting!

not exactly sure what you guys mean by CCF. Would this work? It is only 9 oz.

http://www.amazon.com/Foam-Camping-M...4199217&sr=8-1

Hammock
    not quite eno..
    Tarp
    10x12 DIY
    Insulation
    insultex+momentum
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    C-losed C-ell F-oam
    firm and water proof, as opposed to open cell foam, which is soft and absorbant- like sponges...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast