Hammock to Lounge Chair Conversion

So after a couple weekends playing around with my hammock, I've learned a handful things. One of those things is that my hammock is super-comfy and I want to be in it all the time. I'd love to be able to slightly recline while sitting in my hammock because when i'm with other people i'd like to be able to sit up to talk to them while we are just hanging around the camp site.

I figured that if i were to sew two mitten clip or snap hook type clips and webbing to the side of my hammock (each 10" to 15" from center), Id be able to clip one side of my hammock up to my structural ridgeline, providing a reclining back for when i sit perpendicular in the hammock with my feet hanging off the other side.
    The level of "recline-age" could then easily be adjusted by how much of the hammock fabric you pull under your butt, to adjust the slack of the fabric behind your back. I'm not quite certain how well it would work, though in my head it seems great, or maybe its even been done before.

My question then is, where can i find some decently strong yet light clips? I dont think theyd need to hold all that much weight, but id like to hear some suggestions before i try sewing anything onto my hammock.

thanks guys!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top & bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaric View Post
    ...my hammock is super-comfy and I want to be in it all the time. I'd love to be able to slightly recline while sitting in my hammock...

I figured that if i were to sew two mitten clip or snap hook type clips and webbing to the side of my hammock (each 10" to 15" from center), Id be able to clip one side of my hammock up to my structural ridgeline, providing a reclining back for when i sit perpendicular in the hammock with my feet hanging off the other side.
    I was messing around with my double-wide hammock this weekend and wanted the same thing but did not do anything past wishing.

Two clips even on webbing on the hammock will have a LOT of strain on them so you'll want to spread the attachment out as much as you can. Not distance apart but points of strain on the hammock fabric.

I would also suggest having someone try sitting in the hammock and having a 2nd person try to fill the role of the clips as a sort of primitive prototype. Maybe have someone with a strong grip fold a bit of the hammock edge over the ridgeline and hold on tight while someone else climbs in the hammock.
    No sewing involved and the possibility of amusing pictures or video of the attempt!
    -Liz -

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I'd have to agree with Eay, there'd be a lot of potential for rippage if the tieout wasn't attached in a way to spread out the stress.
    2 ideas come to mind:
    1: What about sewing a triangle of fabric to the edge of the hammock to spread the forces out?
    2: The sounds like a perfect application for nacrabiners!
    And since I love making MS Paint diagrams, here's one!
    theoretical tieout.jpg

Whaddya think?
    Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Quote Originally Posted by acercanto View Post
    I'd have to agree with Eay, there'd be a lot of potential for rippage if the tieout wasn't attached in a way to spread out the stress.
    2 ideas come to mind:
    1: What about sewing a triangle of fabric to the edge of the hammock to spread the forces out?
    2: The sounds like a perfect application for nacrabiners!
    And since I love making MS Paint diagrams, here's one!
    theoretical tieout.jpg

Whaddya think?
    Acer
    Funny, i was JUST looking at nacrabiners today instead of working, but i hadnt considered them for some reason,possibly because i spent half the day searching most of the internet for tiny weight-rated plastic clips. Tunnel-vision defined, and precisely why I'm already glad I asked. As for the stress on the fabric, thats something that had me a bit concerned but i really dont know much about. I've never really made any attempt at sewing any load-bearing stitches in ANY material...

I was thinking that if tarp pull outs can withstand high winds, id try to learn to sew the hammock "pull-outs" using the same methods i guess. Id assume that wind can produce some pretty strong forces on tarp pull outs once the tarp becomes a sail, and wind also causes a lot more jerk than my sitting would produce, hopefully.

But anyway, this is all why I figured id better ask first before just winging it, id hate to tear my new trek light, i like it too much! THEN who would all my poor friends have to be jealous of while they are sleeping on the cold hard ground?

I'm new to both DIY and the whole hammock thing in general, so i very much appreciate any and all feedback. I already have some amsteel and zing-it on the way, so once that comes, i can at least get started on figuring out the nacrabiners. Thanks guys
    Last edited by Alaric; 05-18-2010 at 18:32.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Have you tried using the hammock as a chair as it exists now? Many hammocks, particularly the ones with no bugnet can be used as a chair by sitting in the middle with you feet hanging over the side. The Hennessy can be used as a lounger as well by folding the body in half and sitting on that. It might work as well with a Treklight. I don't know 'cause i don't have one. But it would be worth a try before you go making mods that don't work the way you want.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hey rev, I actually have been sitting in it that way, but theres no back support. In one hand, I'm young and shouldn't (and don't) need back support, but in the other hand I'm lazy and want to recline a little. So the purpose of this would be to give me not just a stool, but more of a chair with a back. Sorry for the confusion.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    If you are using a net less hammock you could always string it up Bushman Hammock Chair style

Or just order one, they are comfy for camp lounging.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts