Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

traveler vs blackbird

How is the footbox different in the blackbird? I've decided that it would only be about $25 cheaper for me to make my own dual layer 1.9 ounce hammock than just buying a traveler. Is the lay on the blackbird more comfortable than in the traveler? The hammocks that I currently have are a hennessey and a eno doublenest. I'm actually more comfortable in the eno than in the hennessey despite the asymetrical cut of the hennessey.

I'm not sold on the integral bug netting. I know that it may be all in my head but I feel a bit more trapped in my hennessey than I do in my eno with the bug netting surrounding the whole hammock. It's also easier to pull down the side of my hammock to see what kind of animal just snorted next to my hammock (or it feels that way to me).

Are there any other hammocks that I should be considering that are double layer and sturdy enough to hold about 285 lbs?

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'll let Brandon be the final authority on this, but it's my understanding that the "footbox" on the BB is not a shaping of the "bottom" of the hammock, but rather is the added "top" material that eventually transitions to the netting. The footbox material permits the netting to be symmetrical even though the diagonal positioning of the feet and head cause the hammock body (and the top edges of the Traveler) to be "pushed out". I hope this explanation makes sense...

I have both the BB and the Traveler, and the lay of the two is indistinguishable, though the lack of a "top" for the Traveler makes it a different experience.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwig View Post
    How is the footbox different in the blackbird?
    The BB has a footbox and the Traveler doesn't. The footbox is a triangular piece of fabric added to the edge in order to accommodate it's meeting with the shape of the BB bugnet.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwig View Post
    Is the lay on the blackbird more comfortable than in the traveler?
    The lay is the same.

Here's
    a good thread about the difference.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Arrowhead 11 ft
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Arrowhead,Peapod,
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    claytor no net double, very well made and $40 shipped

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by beep View Post

I have both the BB and the Traveler, and the lay of the two is indistinguishable, though the lack of a "top" for the Traveler makes it a different experience.
    Hey Beep, this may be a bit off topic so sorry if this is a hijack but could you elaborate on how the "traveler makes it a different experience".
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Thanks for the help.

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lazy river road View Post
    Hey Beep, this may be a bit off topic so sorry if this is a hijack but could you elaborate on how the "traveler makes it a different experience".
    Umm....lessee now...the Traveler's lack of the upper fabric panels and netting that are present on the BB means less material to wrap around you overhead. There are no pullouts on the Traveler vs the two pullouts on the BB. The edges of the Traveler are thereby "looser" and less restrictive. The other part is that I feel much less enclosed. For me that's neither a positive or a negative...just...different!

I like both hammocks a lot, however, but they are different "flavors". My Traveler is dbl layer 1.7, while my BB is dbl layer 1.1. The packed bulk (volume) of the two is about the same because of the heavier fabric used for the Traveler. The different fabric also contributes to a slight difference in the lay...though frankly, I can't say one is better or more comfortable.

I hope that helps.
    "The more I carry the happier I am in camp; the less I carry the happier I am getting there" - Sgt. Rock

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    KAQ,WB,Ham. Gear
    Suspension
    Dutch clips, strap
    If you dislike feeling the bug netting too close then I understand the switchback bug netting is held out and people reported it feels spacious inside. That is on my list of hammocks to try...

Hammock
    WB BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx SpinnUL
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpo63 View Post
    If you dislike feeling the bug netting too close then I understand the switchback bug netting is held out and people reported it feels spacious inside. That is on my list of hammocks to try...
    The BB bugnetting isn't "too close" (at least for me), but the feeling is definitely one of being enclosed (think "protected". The Switchback is very spacious, but it is also a bit heavier (around 30-31 oz without suspension) and bulkier than my Blackbird or Traveler when packed.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I agree with ya beep. The Traveler and the Blackbird are just different experiences; same could be said of any hammock with netting and without. There is a certain freedom (for lack of a better word) in not having all that complicated stuff like tie-outs and netting. To be able to just flop in and fall asleep is kind of what was responsible for drawing me into the hammock culture in the first place.

Netting has its place, no doubt! But, sometimes it's nice to just go hang out and watch the sky go by.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast