Homemade, gathered-end
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    In my HH, I haven't had any issue with the bugnet tearing. That being said, I am careful not to exert too much weight only on the bugnet. I fold it back out of the way for camp lounging with the ridgeline disconnected. When it's time to go to sleep in the hammock, though, I reconnect the ridgeline and get inside.
    One evening not too long ago, my dog thought that she wanted in with me. She quickly decided that she didn't, and tried to exit through the netting. She clawed for a second or two before I reacted and stopped her, but didn't tear anything. There are just a few marks where she "redistributed" the weave, FWIW.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyquest View Post
    the bugnet doesnt drag the ground?
    No, that doesn't seem to be a problem. Usually, when you flip the hammock over (bugnet down) to lounge in it, the fabric is spread out fairly wide. That keeps it from sagging low.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNest
    Tarp
    MLD Spectralite
    Insulation
    JRB seasonal

just cut my HH ridgeline!

That wasn't so hard, actually. You just put the scissors in place, squeeze the handles, and - snap! - there it goes.

My first ridgelineless lounge was easily the greatest joy I have felt since first hanging my hammock. It was like seeing the world in color for the first time, uninhibited by a ceiling of mesh or that annoying wall of fabric pressing up against your side. I feel like I have a new hammock.

The only downside is that my original plan of just tying a sheet bend every time I want to get inside is not a realistic option; trying to find the right place to tie the knot each time and then having to untie a tight bend isn't feasible. (Or not? Are there others out there who do tie and untie a sheet bend regularly?)

Although I'll likely have my answer tomorrow when I try out a carabiner or a screwlink, what do people do with the piece of metal when lounging? It's not something I'd like to have to keep track of off the hammock. Do you leave it connected inside the hammock? Doesn't that push it into your back/legs?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nartoff View Post
    Do you leave it connected inside the hammock? Doesn't that push it into your back/legs?
    I just leave it connected. The screwlink I use is small enough that I don't even notice it.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by nartoff View Post
    The only downside is that my original plan of just tying a sheet bend every time I want to get inside is not a realistic option; trying to find the right place to tie the knot each time and then having to untie a tight bend isn't feasible. (Or not? Are there others out there who do tie and untie a sheet bend regularly?)
    I use a double sheet bend on my support tie-out and it works great (connecting cord to webbing). I untie it easily, partly because I do the second loop slip-knot style. There's a term for that, but it's escaping me right now.

Anyway: yes, I use a double sheet bend in a much higher strain, and untie it easily.
    uva uvam vivendo varia fit

so how much weight does the ridgeline actually carry? if i tie three knots in the process of cutting it and putting in a carabiner...how much will i reduce the strength of that ridgeline? huh? huh???

Images
    hey guys!!
    has anyone thought of using a strap and buckle arrangemnt inside the HH for the ridge line???..as i see it ....it would allow you to set it super tight and adjust the ridgeline for the proper hang and how high the mess is....does anyone think this will work???

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyquest View Post
    so how much weight does the ridgeline actually carry? if i tie three knots in the process of cutting it and putting in a carabiner...how much will i reduce the strength of that ridgeline? huh? huh???
    The amount of force on the ridgeline (structural) varies depending on how much force is on the rest of the suspension, but it should be less than 300 pounds.

The amount of strength you lose by tying knots depends both on the type of cord and the type of knot. I would figure 50% to be safe. I don't know if that reduction is cumulative between knots, though, but I would think that unless the knots were concurrent on the line (tied against each other) that it wouldn't be. Someone else might be able to confirm that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by blackie View Post
    hey guys!!
    has anyone thought of using a strap and buckle arrangemnt inside the HH for the ridge line???..as i see it ....it would allow you to set it super tight and adjust the ridgeline for the proper hang and how high the mess is....does anyone think this will work???
    I do remember reading where someone was using webbing for a HH ridgeline, but I don't remember who.

Using webbing for a ridgeline is overkill for strength IMO, and is heavier than a good small diameter cord. And, I don't see a great benefit to having an adjustable ridgeline in a HH. Once you determine the ideal length for your comfort, you shouldn't have to change that between hangs. JMO

well im this close to cutting my ridgeline but i was concerned about the knots and the strength loss. i wonder if there is a carabiner or snaplink or some combination of two of them that would take up the amount of line lost by two bowlines or two figure eights (bowlines would probably take less line) and i could avoid the second line totally. did any of that make sense?

it was just pointed out to me that this has already been talked about, complete with pics. a pox upon me.....im still working on screwing my courage to the sticking place.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast